Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LOCKNLOAD
Let me put it this way: you would "have to" go with a high power to upgrade to a 50mm.I was trying to tell him to get away from the 6 power with a 270..unless of course he is limited to 100 or 150 yards..I am surprised some weekend warrior has not chimed in with the standard-"why not just use a good set of bino's to see what your hunting" I love it when some dufus comes along with that line....LMAO.

Some of the scope stuff I read on HERE makes ME LMAO. "Dufus"? Because he uses his bino's to identify game? shocked
A 6X is no good on a 270 past 150 yards????!!!!
Need a higher power scope with 50mm objective???
Hot handloads of yours, I take it, elevate your 270 to some loftier standard than the Weekend Warrior with his "anemic" 270,I suppose.....

This place gets funnier and funnier every single day.... laugh laugh

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LOCKNLOAD
Let me put it this way: you would "have to" go with a high power to upgrade to a 50mm.I was trying to tell him to get away from the 6 power with a 270..unless of course he is limited to 100 or 150 yards..I can drop them dead at 300 or 400 yards with my .270-but thats with some hot handloads of mine.I just prefer to see what I am shooting at b4 I pull the trigger.I dont ground check nothing,or I try not to.I am surprised some weekend warrior has not chimed in with the standard-"why not just use a good set of bino's to see what your hunting" I love it when some dufus comes along with that line....LMAO.

and, "I can drop them dead at 300 or 400 yards with my .270-but thats with some hot handloads of mine."

Ummmm, you CAN shoot to,eerrrrr WELL PAST 400 with anemic loads in a 270. Theorize and armchair less, hunt more.

And for god's sake, use binoculars.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Like I said, "something" was exposed. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, the things you read here..... Ok, pet peeve is when someone asks for info on specific items and gets pages of alternatives. To stick to the listed options - because I assume the guy has already done the narrowing down part, I think the first reply from Steelhead was dead on- both good scopes one would be happy with. One question- does hunting from a stand mean you also have a feeder? If so- at what distance - that might help you decide. I can say that I originally had a variable on my 270 but replaced it with a 6x42 and will never go back. I like thicker reticles and might suggest having a Post - duplex put on it. Would still cost less than the VX 3. In any case- be a Dufus and be sure to use binoculars too.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Anyone who hunts open country without a good binocular is either flat broke, or deliberately looking to handicap himself......I'm being generous here....in most cases,if he is substituting his rifle scope for a binocular,he is likely just stupid.

IME, the Weekend Warriors ARE the one's running around with big scopes and no binoculars....

The expercienced, knowledgeable, BG hunters I know would rather have a 3X rifle scope, and a GREAT binocular than the best Galaxy Gathering Variable in the world,and no binocular.

Using the scope at the last minute to be sure you're shooting the right animal in a group makes a little sense to me.......but I don't stay awake thinking about it.

If you have $1-$2K to spend and need to make a choice between a big rifle scope and a GREAT binocular,both costing about the same,buy the binocular....

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/18/09.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SKane - I love your avatar -it is perfect for this place.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All tongue-in-cheek my friend...... grin
Mine suck as much, or even more than anyone's.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When hunting from a stand I set my variable based on the vegetation density, shooting lanes etc. this is usually around 4x to 5x, and I don't turn it up to shoot.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My "deer waiting" rig wears a Leupold fixed 6X - but it's the less expensive VX2 model. I am very happy with my simple and less expensive choice. Of the two you offered, I would go with the fixed 6X VX3. But if cost was not a concern, I would consider the 2.5-8 VX3. In any case, you will end up with a fine scope on your rifle.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The fixed scopes would be FX II or III.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Anyone who hunts open country without a good binocular is either flat broke, or deliberately looking to handicap himself......I'm being generous here....in most cases,if he is substituting his rifle scope for a binocular,he is likely just stupid.

IME, the Weekend Warriors ARE the one's running around with big scopes and no binoculars....

The expercienced, knowledgeable, BG hunters I know would rather have a 3X rifle scope, and a GREAT binocular than the best Galaxy Gathering Variable in the world,and no binocular.

Using the scope at the last minute to be sure you're shooting the right animal in a group makes a little sense to me.......but I don't stay awake thinking about it.

If you have $1-$2K to spend and need to make a choice between a big rifle scope and a GREAT binocular,both costing about the same,buy the binocular....

He makum good sense.

Weiners are health food - My dad
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some folks have uncanny vision that allows them to judge field mice in a different zipcode making binoculars an unnecessary burden..................................................<g>

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Some folks have uncanny vision that allows them to judge field mice in a different zipcode making binoculars an unnecessary burden..................................................<g>

Either that, or a 20X 50mm Hubble riflescope.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Locknload is a troll guys... like someone said. something was exposed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Boman: Guess you're right.No one could be that stupid except on purpose grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
all things considered, the fixed 6x should be a bit brighter as it has fewer lens to hijack incoming light. my scopes are typically set at 6x when hunting so I just started buying 6x scopes as they are typically 1) less expensive, 2) brighter, 3) ligther and 4) more durable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
257 - I agree with everything you say but will point out that in this case the VX3 is actually a touch lighter than the 6x42.

. Confucius
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think someone here does most if not all of their shooting with a keyboard? Should I go with a Microsoft or a Logitech for my Kimber 270 WCF?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JScott-
FROM A 270 GUY TO ANOTHER CONSIDER SCHMIDT AND BENDER IF ALL YOU NEED IS A FIXED. LEUPOLD IS QUALITY BUT IF YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON A SB AND RESEARCH HOW THEY ARE MADE YOU MAY SEE THAT ONE WILL GIVE YOU A WHOLE NEW DEMENTION TO YOUR STAND HUNTING.
IN GERMANY HIGH STANDS AT TWILIGHT IS THE THING. SCHMIDT AND BENDER RETICLES ARE ETCHED IN THE GLASS. THE RETICLES ARE SHARPER AND THE TWILIGHT FACTOR IS SECOND TO NONE! I SHOOT A 270 WIN AND A 270 WSM WAY OUT IN AN OPEN DESERT FOR ELK AND MULIES. THE SHOTS ARE LONG AND ALMOST ALWAYS AT TWILIGHT. ALTHOUGH I OWN SEVERAL GREAT LEUPOLDS AND ONE 3X12 SB; I NEEDED TWILIGHT FACTOR OF 15+, EXTRA CLEAR FAT RETICLES AND VERY LIGHT WEIGHT. THE FIXED 6X42 BENDER I JUST PURCHASED SURPASSED EVERY 6X I COULD GET MY HANDS ON AND IF YOU SHOP THEM ENOUGH ARE REASONABLE. GIVE THEM SOME THOUGHT. Larock

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
SCHMIDT AND BENDER RETICLES ARE ETCHED IN THE GLASS. THE RETICLES ARE SHARPER AND THE TWILIGHT FACTOR IS SECOND TO NONE!

Twilight factor has absolutely nothing to do with the make of the scope.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (160user, 270wsmnutt, 222Sako, 264mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 44 invisible), 17,372 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,932
Posts18,539,176
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.