-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My love affair with S&W revolvers peaked with my pre-WW2 K-22 Target Masterpiece, which I foolishly sold in 1955, and began to fade the next year when I replaced that wonderful old K-22 with a new S&W 22-32 Kit Gun. The Kit Gun's chambers were so rough, I had to use a mallet or whacker to eject empties. S&W smoothed-up the chambers (I'd asked for a new cylinder), but of course that made 'em oversize.<P>A friend with a thing for the new Taurus revolvers let me have a couple to scrutinize for as long as I wanted � the "Raging Hornet" in .22 Hornet with a ten-inch barrel and eight-round cylinder, and a "Silhouette" in .22 Rimfire Magnum with a twelve-inch barrel and a seven-round cylinder � both stainless.<P>Beyond the innovative features already told about in the gun magazines and on the Taurus web site, it's the fine workmanship in these guns that has really impressed me.<P>I also find it interesting and somewhat revealing that (a) Taurus and S&W exchanged a good bit of technical capability back when both were properties of Bangor Punta, and (b) Beretta built a big state-of-the-art manufacturing plant in Brazil to fill its military contracts, then � once those contracts were filled � sold that factory to Taurus. So Taurus in effect now has everything that S&W and Beretta have, or more.<P>I'm shedding no more tears over the decline of S&W. Have ordered two Taurus revolvers for personal pleasure and protection and will add two more when my cash cache has recovered.<P>Who needs S&W?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ken,<P>Just wanted to wish you the best,with your recent bout. Hope all is well and you are up to speed.<P>I agree,I do NOT need(or want) any S&W........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The first Taurus I bought was in the 80's, a Model 66,(.357 mag with 6" barrel). When I recieved it I couldn't get over how much it looked like another model made by S&W. I later found out that they were made on S&W machinery. The reason they are cheaper is because the Brazilian labor force doesn't recieve nearly as much money as the American workeers but they do make some great firearms. Another good one is Rossi. I believe that Rossi and Taurus are under the same corporate management now so one would be the same as the other. I have bought about a dozen Tauruses and Rossis over the years and have been more than satisfied with them. As far as S&W goes, let's see what happens with the new owners. I understand that the Bush administration isn't really pushing the agreement that the past owners of S&W signed and it will probably go in the trash unless the Democrats regain control of the Congress and White House. VOTE.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice to see you posting again, Dr. Howell. Your expertise, and vast knowledge, were missed. <BR> I, too, foolishly sold a K-22 from the old Smith & Wesson. Also a K-38 that used to shoot 3/4 inch 6 rd. groups @ 25 yds. with the old Western Match ammo.<BR> My 1960's Mod. 29, 4 inch is not for sale. I was smart enough to keep that.<BR> About the only good thing about the whole Smith & Wesson mess is that serves as an example to other gun makers as to what will happen if you make a deal with the enemy. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Purchased a Taurus M96, six inch bbl, many years ago for less than $130, when the K22 was a tad over $300. It has performed flawlessly and is very accurate and well finished. Reckon I'd take a chance on another Taurus wheel gun if the need arose.<BR>Glad to see you're feeling a bit friskier, Ken.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I too strayed from my Colt's a time or two with "J" frame Smiths I have now returned to the Colt Cobra's for carry. I also have one in .22LR for plinking. I did have a Tarus 86 for a while and it was a really nice revolver, but my daughter-in-law fell for it sooooo. I also have a Tarus 92 FS, it's the only 9MM I have and it has been absolutly reliable with all kinds of ammunition for several years. They seem to make excellant firearms.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good to see you back up and running, Sir!<P>I bought a S&W Titanium centennial in 38 +P for my wife to carry. The trigger was so bad she couldn't shoot it. Along came the deal so I had several good reasons to shed the Smith.<P>Replaced it with the Taurus 85 in blue Titanium, but with a hammer. It is more than the Smith will ever be and the trigger is extremely smooth and crisp, single or double action. My wife is much happier with it.<BR>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad to hear from you, Ken. Based upon a couple year's looking at mags, ads, and reading boards, I am leaning toward a Taurus carry piece for my wife if I go for the revolver, a Kahr if I go for a semi. That's assuming she likes both or either of them. Thanks for the input. I rue the decline of S&W also.<P>Talus

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 29aholic, 19 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,939
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.