Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Not particularly more, no.

I've got a modest supply of .22 long rifle ammo but there's no replacement ammo here locally. I haven't seen .22 LR shells since about the same time the primers dried up. I've got enough for whackin' squirrels and an occasional tin can but I'm not just plinking for the hell of making noise.

I can still get .17 HMR, new stock comes in fairly frequently, and we can still get shotgun shells pretty easily. Otherwise "thar ain't no ammo." Though last week I saw 4-5 boxes of .30-30 on the shelf. I think things are slowly improving.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm down to my last brick of .22LR and haven't been shooting in a few weeks. Before that it was quite some time.

I love my .22s. Got a MkIII 22/45 like yours, a Ruger Single Six, and a Marlin 70HC carbine sporting a nice 4x Nikon. My gal really likes shooting the .22s and frankly so does my pocket book.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
That's the same Ruger I chose and I haven't had a failure yet. It's nice to be able to plink as much as I want and not worry about denting the wallet.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just traded a used Kahr K9 for a Taurus 9 shot snubbie and S&W 22A both of which are new in the box. Plan on using them in my handgun safety and shooting classes.

Oh, and I still have several thousand rounds of assorted brands of 22lr in the locker.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 7.5" H&R 629 convertible that I used to hunt grouse with, but it's slow loading gate keeps it from being an efficient plinker. So, two yrs. ago I decided to pick up a 5.5" Ruger Mark II slabside before the Mark IIIs came out. That gun has pretty much replaced the H&R. The Ruger is more accurate and carries a little easier then the H&R. With half a dozen magazines and a speed loader I can go through a couple hundred rounds in a hurry. The 22 Mag. H&R still has its place, for example when I have to dispatch that 30 lb. porcupine stealing my raspberries.

It will be a while before I run out of 22 ammo. I stocked up on various 'deals' over the years and am well supplied with a variety of 22 shells. Unfortunately the Ruger doesn't like most hollow points, which I have a great number of because both my Cooey M60 and my Remington M12 like the Rem. target hollow points. Fortunately it likes Fed. GMs that I have an ample supply of from a sale several years ago. There is also a large ammo box full of Wal Mart packs that I used to pick up every time I went in that store. At my present rate of consumption I'll guess that ammo will last 7-8 yrs.

"Hunting in the wilderness is of all pastimes the most attractive" Teddy Roosevelt 1893

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not getting any new ones, but I always have my Ruger Single Six with 9.5 inch barrel with me at the range.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ruffcutt,
My 317 Airweight likes CCI Velocitors realy well. At 8 yards off hand, it will put 8 into 1"
Seems to do best with these over standard high velocity.
Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About fifteen years ago I bought 12,000 rounds of Russian 22LR.
It's crappy ammo and tends to foul semis due to some sort of coating but it works in revolvers and bolt actions. I still have something over 5K plus a couple of thousand good stuff and almost a thousand shorts I bought recently
I see signs that the ammo crunch is easing up. I think I can hold out with what I have but would not pass up reasonable chances to add my stock.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well did a little horse trading yesterday and got these:

[Linked Image]

For this even up.

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 22250rem, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,495
Posts18,509,118
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.