Hop To
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Hey guys,
I've read the book ALOT but just last night got to watch the documentary. Anyways,I got a glimpse of his rifle which looked to be a sporterized Springfield w/a peep sight on it. I'm wondering what cartridge it's chambered for and what has happened to the rifle. Anyone know? Just curious. To me the book has got to be one of the most relaxing reads there is.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I believe he left his gun(s) in the cabin and the NPS has them. They may be on display in the Lake Clark park h.q. I've read the book a few times and have seen the video on P.B.S. several times also. Here's someting I just found at the end of last week:

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/lacl/proenneke.pdf

Should provide several evenings of reading sitting next to the fire at camp.

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
THANKS for the info and the link,bv! I'll DEFINITELY read it.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Is this the same as "alone in the wilderness"?

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
I honestly don't know,Bf?

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Boots-

Alone In The Wilderness is the video of Dick Proenneke at Twin Lakes.

One Man's Wilderness is the book version.

One does nor follow the other, although they are they same "story". They are more complimentary to each other.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
E
EZEARL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
E
Thanks,ib. I didn't get to see the first 1/2hr of the PBS show so I just took for granted that the title was the same as the book.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not a problem EZEARL. I have both and really enjoy them.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am very sure that I read somewhere(possibly in the document that bluffview linked) that Mr. Proenneke's battery consisted of a .357 revolver and a 30-06 and that he gave both to friends when he left Alaska.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I recall from the book, the rifle was an -06. I didn't recall him mentioning a handgun, but it's been some time since I read the book.

IC B3

R
R
If you want to read some more of the story:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=More+readings+from+one+mans+wilderness&x=15&y=24

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone seen the "sequel" Frozen North?

Wook

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wook
Anyone seen the "sequel" Frozen North?

Wook

It is pretty good, not as fascinating as watching him build that cabin, but more his hiking around and filming and narrating the wildlife and nature in his area throughout the year.

In the "Frozen North" he wears a handgun most of the time. I don't know my revolvers, but it looks blued, 6" barrel, in a long leather holster under his left arm, as to cross drawl with his right.

He has his 06 above the fireplace but looks to spend more time out with his revolver..

You can catch a glimpse of both firearms in this clip. I would guess a Ruger, but far from an educated guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7jxFbscIJY&feature=related

Last edited by Barkoff; 06/22/09.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
cross drawl

Utterance of a grumpy southerner.

smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
His craftmanshp was impressive, he made cool stuff.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
He had a lot of construction talent for sure. Does anyone know what his occupation was before he "retired" to Twin lakes? Some of the skills he used were typical of a wooden ship builder but he stagged his Bone Drys off like a west coast logger. The tree butts he used for his door hinges were selected the same way we used to get wood for the skids on diamond drill rigs. They generally came from trees growing on a steep slope although you would occasionally find one on a tree that grew out from under a windfall. Never miss a chance to watch the film.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I recall from the book he was a diesel mechanic. Remember that was back in the day when many folks were a Jack of all trades, and it wasn't meant as an insult. The times when folks didn't complain that a task wasn't their job, they just picked up the tools and did what needed to get done.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Proenneke served in the United States Navy as a carpenter during World War II. It was during this service that he contracted rheumatic fever and was bedridden for nearly six months. According to Sam Keith, a life-long friend from Duxbury, Massachusetts, this illness was very revealing for Proenneke, who decided to devote the rest of his life to the strength and health of his body.

Following his discharge from the Navy, Proenneke went to school to become a diesel mechanic. The combination of his high intelligence, unique adaptability, and strong work ethic turned him into a very skilled mechanic. Though quite adept at his trade, Proenneke succumbed to the call of nature within him and moved to Oregon to work at a sheep ranch. He moved to Shuyak Island, Alaska in 1950.

For several years he worked as a heavy equipment operator and repairman on the naval base at Kodiak. Proenneke spent the next several years working throughout the state of Alaska as both a salmon fisherman and diesel mechanic. He worked for the Fish and Wildlife Service at King Salmon on the Alaska Peninsula. His skills as a mechanic were well-known and extremely sought after, and he was able to put away a modest nest egg for retirement. Proenneke retired to Twin Lakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by btb375

My wife was amazed at the wooden spoons he made by hand in the movie. But the guy seemed to have a gas-can fetish. wink I was told by an old timer here, who knew him, that living by himself a good bit of the time was probably a good thing, apparently he was pretty set in his ways and pretty intolerant of most everyone else. I enjoyed the book and the movies, pretty amazing life he led. I seem to recall he got his pilot's license when he was way up in years....crashed a Cub and nearly bit the weenie but managed to live through it. Gave up flying then.. smart guy!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,724
Posts18,475,825
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.