-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both the populations in Sweden and Alaska seem to be growing around 4%/yr and that is good news for hunters. And bears too.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vancouver Island, where I live, is supposed to have the highest density of black bears in North America, estimated population, 12,000, Vanocuver Island is 32,134 km2. Grizzly bears are starting to show up on the north end of the Island.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by steffen
brown bears, but they don't grow much bigger than NA black bears.
they have immigrated to my country lately, to one of "my" two capercaille grounds.
haven't seen one yet.

the experts say they're young males walking around, looking for their own territory.
but until the females come, they won't stay and start breeding.

Yeah, it's hard to breed without a female around. BTDT. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Now that is very interesting. Is there a distinct subspecies of European brown bear??? NA black bears can be deceiving as to size. Seems that the farther North one goes, the bigger the black bears tend to average out.

Not true. No Alaska black bear will reach the maximum proportions of those, in say, Pennsylvania. Depends on available food and climate both, I think.

You won't find any world record black bear weights from up here, I think- don't know how the "average' would hold up.

We might have a few fat heads here tho... smile.

Last edited by las; 05/17/09.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the main food is grubs and ants, the bear does not necessarily need to be agressive to survive. I should think a dense population would make them more competitive, though.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I can't comment on the accuracy of the European data, but I can tell you what I've observed within a half a mile of my own house.

There is a large corn field where the mountain comes down and merges with the flat valley land on my property. When my neighbor cuts his corn - he drives around the field - starting at the outside, and circling his way in towards the center of the field as he works. So far - the record for his field while he cuts down the final center strip and all the bears are forced to bail, running back to the woods for shelter - is 22 bears! This is out of one - 40 or so acre cornfield.

One one evening I left the house and sat at the base of the hill - I only had an hour of time available - and as I sat I watched 8 individual bears walk in to the corn - in 60 minutes!

I don`t know how many parts of the world could top the bear density where I live. I guess it`s possible though.

I also saw a grizzly within 5 miles of my property, as well as having black, brown, cinnamon and blonde bears on the property. Last year, I also saw a black bear that had a black back half of his his body, and reddish brown front legs and head - that circling my house last year - while sizing up my wife's miniature donkeys.

When it comes to bear hunting - this region just might be paradise.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brian,

I can just imagine the sight.

However, this post, started by grandeveneur and the data later presented by jpb, was dicussing brown bear densities - the only type we have here in Europe.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
cmg
Wasn't there a Bear that was killed in the South of your Country 3 years or so ago?
IIRC, May have been the first to visit in quite a few years?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There have been killed brown bears i Scandinavia at 350kg/770 pounds , but that is very very rare. I agree over 200kg is a big Scandinavian bear.
The biggest known bear in Scandinavia ,named "Rugg", live in Vassfaret Bj�rnepark in Norway and in the end of October it is about 450kg/990 pund. I know that's not out in the wilderness, but it shows that bears in Scandinavia really can become BIG!

Last edited by Norwegian; 06/17/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bucktales,

yes, there was. "Bruno". The bear came over from Austria/Italy.
Man raised bears get relocated in Trentino NP.

It was getting into chicken coops, getting hit by a car and close by mountain biker. Did not show to much fear around humans, though no open aggression either.

They braught in finnish bear hunters - in 14 days they could not get close enough to the bear to tranquilize. Culvert trap did not work either.

In the end he was shot.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would like to see a report regarding Griz on Vancouver Island. I would think it quite impossible unless introduced. Is there more info available?
Thanks.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just dug this up quickly:

http://bullsheet.wordpress.com/2008/05/21/grizzly-bear-sighting-confirmed-on-vancouver-island/

I would say that someone is introducing the bears?

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I beleive they are swimming over from the mainland, doing some Island hopping as grizzlies have also been spotted on the northern islands north of Campbell River.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I understand that Croatia has a pretty decent population of European Brown Bear and that they shoot some fairly large specimens.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (blackhawk44, aaronward9, 10gaugemag, big_g270, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,556
Posts18,510,431
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.