Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have never shot a big bore or a 375 for that matter from the bench, I see alot of guys are using the weighted rests, I don't use one of those, I can handle the recoil of a 300 mag with no troubles, I am just wondering how bad the recoil is from a 375H&H on a typical varmint benchrest with a rabbit ear bag in the rear.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found it to be a long slow shove opposed to 300 magnum which is a fast sharp kick.If you can shoot a Remmy 870 With 3 inch slugs you'll have no problem with the 375.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would rather shoot a 375 off the bench than a 300 Weatherby. Like 7 STW said a heavy push compared to the faster sharper 300 Mag. I used a borrowed Past shooting pad with my new 375 Ruger it helps too, just got a Limbsaver shooting pad for myself haven't had time to try it out yet.

Gerry.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not too bad. As suggested use a Limbsaver or Past shoulder pad, or just hang a folded up towel over your shoulder. After twenty shots with a 9lb rifle though I have enough.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Anonymoust a/k/a Vigillinus

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't think the recoil of a 375 H&H should bother you off of the bench, but it's a step up from a 300 H&H, don't know about the 300 Weatherby as I've never had the pleasure of shooting one (but I think I want one!). A 375 was my first big bore and I had no issue shooting 40 rounds from the bench the 2nd time I took it out. Your Limbsaver shoulder pad is a great idea.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The .375 is not nearly as bad off the bench as something like a .300 RUM. A big shove compared to the fast whiplash like action of the giant cased .30 calibers

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Of course,once the rifle is sighted in there should be no reason to shoot from the bench!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Exactly, I only shoot from the bench for load development and sighting in. I then verify sight in shooting from offhand, kneeling and sitting ... Then we just go blow stuff up (water jugs, cheap soda cans (which we recycle) etc)) at 50 yards, oh I mean practice offhand shooting, while we're waiting for hunting season to roll around ...

smile

Chuck

Last edited by colorado; 06/18/09.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
just pad up good when bench shooting....a thick gun case draped over your shoulder , a sandbag , or the like . A 375 won't really hurt you from field posistions.....maybe excluding prone .

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
cummins cowboy,
They feel like a 10 gauge shotgun. A big push, I suggest you build a shooting rest that can be fired standing up. We have a bench at the gun club that is the right height for shooting standing resting off a sandbag. It is good for shotgun slugs and big bore rifles, muzzleloaders etc.
An 83 Subaru Station wagon of mine had a 458 Win mag shot off the roof many times. After about 6 rds I called it quits because the groups got bigger and bigger. grin
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've found that your position on the bench can make a big difference. If your stool is too high and you lean way forward, the rifle butt will be against the top of your shoulder, which can be quite unpleasant. If you are in a verticle position, your body will move with the recoil and it won't be nearly as bad. Unfortunately, most of the people that I see at the range are in an uncomfortable, bent over position.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've found that if the gun is put together in what I'd call an intelligent manner then they're not the end of the world to do some work with.

The more you work with them the easier they are to deal with.

I find that if the barrel is in the .65" at the mzl to .7" at the mzl that really helps a lot. Also if they're in the 8.25 lb plus range that helps a lot as well.

To me, a 375 is a joy to hunt and to shoot.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoot standing at the bench.

Take your bench stool, and place it on top of your bench. Place your sand bags on top of the stool. Rest your rifle on the sandbags. The standing postion will allow the recoil to move your entire body, instead of hammering your shoulder. That is the ONLY way I shoot NE Doubles anymore.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had a few 375s and except for a POS Browning Medallion, all were pleasant from the bench, pleasant being in the eye of the beholder of course. I can shoot mine with full blown 300gr Swifts all day from the bench with no issues. It's a stock Model 70. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Shooting 300gr Swifts all day from the bench sounds expensive.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I personally find the .375 to be far less uncomfortable than a souped up .300 Mag off of the bench.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've shot two from the bench a lot for load development. No problems with a good pad. Make sure to hold the forearm down as it will tend to jump quite a bit.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by doubletap
Shooting 300gr Swifts all day from the bench sounds expensive.

It is, but when you have 25grand on the line for a 16 day safari, it's chump change. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As posted previously I find it about like a Magnum shotgun load. I would rather shoot my H&H any day rather than shoot 3.5" Turkey loads off a bench to test patterns.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,865
Posts18,478,668
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.