Print Thread
Hop To
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Good / Bad / indifferent? I found a source for a brick of this stuff but they guy behind the counter said it was pretty dirty and cheap stuff.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The guy behind the counter has little knowledge of Eley Sport. It is not dirty. Actually it's quite clean shooting and very accurate. I use it for long range shooting out to 250 yards (to date) and it'll hit an 8x10 gong 28 of 30 shots on average every time.

On paper 25 - 50 yards, outstanding 5 shot grouping (5/16 @ 25 yds & 7/16 @ 50 yds - my best so far).

It has a funny smell - almost like lilacs... I use it all the time in my Savage Mark II FVT. It's the best low priced subsonic ammo you can buy, in my humble opinion. Don't pass on giving it a try. smile

Joe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeM57
It has a funny smell - almost like lilacs... I use it all the time in my Savage Mark II FVT. It's the best low priced subsonic ammo you can buy, in my humble opinion. Don't pass on giving it a try. smile

Agree, very good stuff but I don't consider it low cost!

I tried some of the Winchester Super X subsonics yesterday from my Cooper classic and was really pleased. Even with a bit of post thunderstorm breeze they turned in five shot one hole groups at 50 yards. Good for me as the only other brand it really liked this well was the Lapua Midas M at $13 a box. I like $3.50 a box a bunch more!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like it the best of any of the $2.00 per box standard grade 22 LR ammo. I bought 5K rounds awhile back and it has worked well through a variety of rifles, pistols, and revolvers.

Eley doesn't make dirty ammo. If you want to see "dirty", find a box of the Russian "Junior" brand in the sea-green box. Afterwards, give whatever ammo is left in the box to someone you don't like.

Jeff

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Eley Sport is made by Aguila. Eley has partnered with the Mexican ammo company to make some low end target ammo.

I posted this elsewhere last year:

On such a fine day, I just had to go shooting. But, I wanted to have an objective. So, I decided to take CMP Aguila (white box) head to head against Eley Sport (also Aguila ammo). Several of my fellow Sheffield shooters have cases or at least bricks of both of these cartridge types and alot of them shoot the ammo in CZs. So, I chose to take the Special with the BSA fixed 36 power scope on it.

[Linked Image]

First, I shot a cold barrel group with the the CMP Aguila at the top left sighter bull on the USBR (that first cold clean barrel shot almost went off the paper - it is actually did not make the picture). Then, I put the other 45 rounds in 9 five shot groups in the first two rows. All groups were shot left to right for the entire test session. Also, no scope adjustments were made since this was a group test only. All shooting was done at 50 yards.

Next up was the Eley Sport. The top right sighter bull was the fouler group. Row three and four are the 9 five shot groups.

[Linked Image]

At first, I thought something was wrong with me, the rifle, or the scope. The white box groups seemed so big. The crazy uncalled low flyers were disconcerting to say the least.

The Eley Sport seemed to tighten up as the bore seasoned to it. When single loading the rounds, I had to be push them into the chamber but only a slight pressure was required for this task.

I had only taken the two subject ammos. Due to all the flyers, I borrowed ten rounds each of SK Std Plus and Wolf ME from David King at the range and fired some "control" groups.

The rifle had last been fired about a month ago when I sighted it in with SK Std Plus. I was excited about how much tighter the proven ammo shot and also how my zero had held with the big low priced BSA scope.

ADDED BY EDIT: Unfortunately, I have already thrown away this target. So, I can't remeasure. But, I just noticed that the first white box group in row one is labeled .51". That was obviously an error. The dogs were going nuts barking at kids playing in the church yard across the street when I was measuring that first row and I got distracted. That group would measure more like one inch.

Last edited by sheffieldshooter; 06/22/09.
IC B2

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thank you very much. I'll be picking up a brick tomorrow.

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd really like to connect with that outfit, if they have a brick or 2 more.

...that stuff

Shoots REALLY well at 200 Meters,......at our "Buffalo League Match"

would appreciate a head's up, if you can .

Thanks,

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (160user, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,314
Posts18,505,579
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.