24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I am getting prepared to go on my first do it youself elk hunt with a bow in Colorado on public land and was curious if I should bother with buying a cow elk decoy like Montana or Renzo's decoys in a effort to get a bull or cow within bow range? I have read the reviews on Montana's and they are realistic but poorly made and numerous people indicated they broke or came unstitched! I haven't read any reviews on the Renzo's so I am not sure about using them. If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by buxntoms; 06/16/09.

"Know Your Land.....Know Your Prey!"
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I'm pretty sure you cant use decoys here for big game.

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did two archery hunts in NM a few years back. My guide used the Montana's and swore buy them. Called in several elk for me. Did they come to the call or see the dec? Don't know, but the dec was in plain sight of the bulls and it sure didn't scare them off!

Last edited by 99guy; 06/19/09.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
We have used them with mixed results but there are times they are handy if the elk are hunter wise it might make the difference in getting them to move into bow range. I hate it when they hang up because they expect to see a elk or won't move though the open it can't hurt if they are legal.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a good way to get yourself shot to me.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
During bow season laugh I am not suggesting it for rifle season? Plus nobody said to stand behind it. grin

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Im with 700LH, you'll be suprised how much gun shots you here during bow season

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hear a lot of gun shots during turkey season, while using decoys. There are a few hunters that get shot every year during turkey season, but I will not give it up because of it...It's an addiction for sure.

I searched Colorado's' regulations for info on using a decoy. I found page 11, Article IV, #004, 3.(c) .....Decoys may be used.

I took it that decoys may be used for elk hunting, but if I read it wrong please let me know. I plan on using a decoy. Thanks

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
OP Offline
Thanks nclonghunter for being there for me! I agree that I too will not give up turkey hunting for fear of being shot. I will be using your decoy on this trip by the way! laugh

Last edited by buxntoms; 06/29/09.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
See Article VII, #001, 4.(c)...Only use your friends decoys whose last name begins with the letter "A" when hunting elk. Guess well use yours..it's the law.

IC B3

OP Offline
Alright I found the rules and regulations regarding the use of decoys in Colorado and it states in the General Provisions; Article IV - Manner of Taking Wildlife, #004 A,3(c) - Decoys may be used! smile nclonghunter you better get your decoy ordered soon otherwise I have a nice fur coat for you to wear on our hunt! laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man! I can just see some guy in camo walking through the woods carrying a elk decoy when elk season is open. Archery or not I am not gonna be that guy.

I know of one fella that had a arrow put into his leg by another hunter, and all he was doing was hiding in camo. All he saw was the hunters back side as he ran away leaving this guy shot . fortunately, it was only his leg. True story.
Just because it is archery doesn't mean there ain't nuts in the woods.

Gosh, maybe you otta wear a bull outfit, horns and all, and bugle for the cows to come to ya. Sorry couldn't resist. LOL.

Here's a decoy for ya.

http://www.dorks.com/videos/Wild-Boys---Steve-gets-Humped-by-an-Elk.html

Last edited by 700LH; 06/30/09.
OP Offline
700LH,

Gosh, maybe you otta wear a bull outfit, horns and all, and bugle for the cows to come to ya. Hell if you could promise me a shot at my first bull elk by doing just that I probably would! LOL! I will once again simply state that in all my years of hunting deer and turkey using a decoy I have never had anyone shoot at me! Not to say that it couldn't happen, but I believe you have a greater chance of being attacked by a bear or mountain lion while elk hunting, and that doesn't seem to stop us! Just my thoughts! It sure sounds by the way this line of thinking keeps coming up that a lot of people get shot while elk hunting. I'm sure there has been no more than during any other game season truth be known!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am for sure no authority on the subject but have you ever watched game Dept's films of idiots shooting illegal decoys?
That alone would convince me to not carry or be near a big game decoy.
This in fact is the first I have even heard of one, but then I don't watch hunter shows on the tube.

If it is legal and a guy wants to use one who am I to say anything?
We all make choices good or bad. I for one hate "hunter orange" and won't wear the stuff big game hunting and have been riding a motorcycle since 1965 without a helmet. So I am not exactly "Mr. Safety".

So decoy away, but to me it sounds dangerous and unneeded. This isn't a flock of geese your trying to lure in close it is elk.

Good luck on your elk hunt how ever you decide to go about it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not sure what is pictured when using an elk decoy. It is not a rigid form to carry around. It is a cloth type material with a picture printed on it. The process I would use is to keep it rolled until you believe an encounter is at hand. Cabelas describes the Montana elk decoy on their web site;

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0004746416378a.shtml

I believe these are as safe as an individuals common sense will permit? I do not carry turkey decoys around in the open. I roll them up and put them in a pack when on thee move..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guys, it folds up about the size of a large frisbee. You don't unfold it and set it up until you get to your set-up. Even then you don't hide behind it or next to it, let alone walking through the woods carrying it around. I guess you could to partake in natural selection.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 700LH

TFF!!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
OP Offline
Okay that video was hilarious!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (338reddog, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 673, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,953
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.