Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D

What is a good ring mount for a 1" scope on a flat top AR. I don't want to pay $75 and up for a tactical set on a calling rifle.

Thanks

NRA Patron
GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would look into an Armalite or RR mount as most people need the scope extended further forward than rings alone will allow. If you insist on rings alone then you need them as high as you can get them. For example the irons on the AR were designed to be 1.4" above the flat top, kind of high for ordinary cheap rings... Tactical "AR" type rings usually run over $120. so again the Armalite or RR one piece mounts maybe a better bet.

edit to add; of course you could add a riser or riser blocks.

Last edited by TWR; 06/21/09.
T
T
Burris Extreme Rings, solid and about $50

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Benefactor Life
Ost Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Larue Tactical. Buy once, cry once.

I hate escalators. I slipped and fell down the steps for an hour and a half.
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Thanks for the advice.
Some here and some on another board suggested RR, so I will order that one.

NRA Patron
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Ost
Larue Tactical. Buy once, cry once.

Agree.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Burris Extreme tacticals, as someone else said are great and cheap.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Solid, holds zero perfectly and best of all it's cheap.

Model 1 mount $65

[Linked Image]

Terry

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seeing as how important the mount is, it always amazes me that people will spend $800 plus on a rifle, several hundred more on a scope and want a cheap mount. Buy the best you can afford and you will never be sorry.

Have to agree with Ost & JStor.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is the reason. The purpose of a scope mount is to hold the scope in place so it maintains zero. If the mount achieves this goal it's a good mount regardless of the cost. If it achieves this goal and isn't expensive it's a bargain. Not everything needs to cost out the nose to work and just because something cost more money doesn't necessarily make it a better product for it's intended purpose. In this particular case he wants the mount for a calling rifle, not a fighting gun. I would assume the mount will be perminant and this opens up a lot of options. Sometimes we lose sight of common sense when we make these decisions. I'm as guilty as anyone of this thinking. The Larue mount is a nice mount as is the Model 1. I own both mounts and honestly can't tell any diffence the scopes ability hold zero. One mount cost $65 and the other cost $225 the last time I looked.

Terry

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got to agree with Terry, I have the LaRue, top shelf but I also like the Armalite mount, very solid and can be found in the 60-80 dollar range.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
Got to agree with Terry, I have the LaRue, top shelf but I also like the Armalite mount, very solid and can be found in the 60-80 dollar range.

I also have the LaRue and Armalite mounts and that's my experience as well. The Armalite is one heckuva mount for the $$.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have all LaRue mounts but if you will notice, I suggested the Armalite mount or RR. Why? Because as TC1 says if you mount it permanent it opens up options.

I use LaRue because I shoot my BUIS's and switch out optics. For a simple coyote gun the Armalite or RR work perfectly, just don't expect them to return to zero if you take em off. (yes some will but not always)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah I have both too and have used plain rings but you are missing my point. I see this question asked countless times here and where I work. I want something I can count on period. Same scenario, guy spends $1100 on an AR ,$400 on a scope and goes to Gunbroker to buy a $15 mount. Yes it will work but for how long?

Originally Posted by dale06

I don't want to pay $75 and up for a tactical set on a calling rifle.

BTW the original poster didn't even want to go as much as an Armalite mount.

All I am saying is buy the best you can afford, you won't be sorry. I also like to buy American made as much as possible.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
La Rue is like a BMW... sure they are good, but you pay for the name for some reason and there are others that work.

Now if I was swapping out all the time I might reconsider....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BMT

Can you get them tall enough to use without a riser? Warne makes a pretty fair product too! Have a couple of pair on bolt guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also have a Larue and an Armalite. Both work perfectly fine, although the Larue is the nicer mount, especially if you take it off much. The new Burris PEPR mount looks to be decent for the money......

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Originally Posted by BMT

Can you get them tall enough to use without a riser? Warne makes a pretty fair product too! Have a couple of pair on bolt guns.

Yes, here it is:

[Linked Image]

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oops!

Those are Warnes, but not QD.

here's the QD:

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 16,986 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,189
Posts18,543,388
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.