Hop To
J
jasontx Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I'm Jason from Texas.
In my search for some new optics, I came across some posts on this forum. I narrowed my decision down to a pair my friend carries (nikon monarchs 8x42 and the Zen Rays). Well, I noticed a couple of people on this forum and one from another forum suggested Minox and pointed me to the Cameraland website. Well I went to the Cameraland website and purchase a set of THESE BINS. I am usually leary of using websites/businesses that I've never used and purchasing products that I haven't sampled. But I threw caution to the wind and bought them.

Well, I got the Bino's yesterday. First I want to HIGHLY recommend cameraland. Fast shipping time and even sent me some freebies along with it. I'll be ordering some photo equipment from them soon. BIG Thumbs up

The binos:
When I first took them out of the box, my first thought was, these are kinda heavy. After handling them a bit, the heft (I think) speaks to the quality. These are solid, well built binoculars.
Once I put on the neck strap that came with it, I was pleasantly surprised. The soft neoprene strap handles the weight good and makes it comfortable.

So I took them right out to my local birding spot.
It did not take me long at all to fall in love with these binos. The optics are by far, the best I've used.
One of the reasons I went with the Minox was that they advertised a good close focus. I shoot allot of insect, dragon flies, butterfly's, etc ( Some photos ) so this is very much needed. THEY DELIVER! Excellent near focus capabilities.

My friend went who owns the Monarchs went with me. I almost bought a pair after using his. He just shook his head when I told him I bought some Minox and said, "What brand is that?" Curiosity got the best of him today when I told him I got mine in and he wanted to go with me to check them out. Well, to make a long story short, he was going to get his wife some monarchs but now he's probably gonna get her these. The Monarchs were lighter but in my eyes (and his) the minox were notably brighter and clearer. This is not to say his Monarchs were not great BIN's; after all, I was going to buy a pair after using his. I even had second thoughts right after buying these but after today, I am more than happy. This is one of those rare occasions, where I got more than what I paid for. Monox has a new Fan.

I also plan on running these through the paces at work with the US Border Patrol. Sorry the first post was a review but I saw that Camera Land was active on this forum and wanted to give them a well deserved plug. I love these Binos!
Jason

Last edited by jasontx; 06/24/09.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent first post JasonTX, Welcome to the fire and keep coming back!.............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Jason,

1st - welcome to the Campfire!!

I bought my father these bins earlier this year through Doug and agree they are great bins for the $.

Enjoy them & thanks for watching our Border.

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
C
C
Good on you!

I purchased some Nikon ATBs at the suggestion of a salesman at a Sportman's Warehouse for deer and elk hunting. Indeed, they were great binos, compared to the 1970s-era Bushnells my father used to have.

Then my bro-in-law bought some Leupold Gold Rings and I saw how amazing binos could be. I sold my Nikon ATBs on Ebay and expect to buy some Zen-Rays or Minox binos (from CamerlandNY).

I hope you kill a very large mammal this fall,

Fritz (formerly of WA state)

Last edited by cybertext; 06/24/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought the Leupold Pinnacles and liked them but found the eye cups finicky and I seemed to constantly need to tweek the focus. The image is good and bright and the size perfect but never fell in love with them. I decided to go to a porro for my next 8x42's and am glad I did. I spent about 1/3rd for the Bushnell Legends. Heavier but brighter and more comfortable. Never ever have to adjust. Just say this to throw some other factors, options and info into the general mix and to say that until you actually hold them in your hands you can never be sure you will like a pair no matter how highly they are touted. Congrats on your great new glass. It is fun being the first to find quality products that are unknown to others. Years ago I got looks from my CZ rifle and Meopta scope. Still get looks but they are now of appreciation rather than doubtful curiosity.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Welcom the te campfire Jason, thanks for the review.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.