Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Some of you know that I turned 50 last Nov, yeah I know it's hard to believe. For my 50th my way better half told me that I could do one nice rifle, if I wanted... wink

Well I've a nice G33/40 that's fairly light, and I got to thinking about how I could get it lighter. Spose that turning 50 had anything to do with it?

I got to thinking (always a bad thing for me to do) about the idea of getting another rifle and having one fairly light rig, and then buy one that was really light. You know I have to be thinking about my wife and how she needs to have a light rifle to carry as well as I do right? I mean is it really ok for me to give her the heavier more capable magnum while I carry the light mtn rifle... wink

Guess to quit acting like a beagle (chasing wabbits) I could of ordered a NULA, I had the wifes blessings, but I didn't want to wait for a year or whatever it takes. I mean come on guys I'm at mid life, you'd think that by now I'd have some patience. So, I went the route of redoing the old Mauser, even though it was very good, and now it's 13 months later and the project still isn't done.

So here I am, could of had one of Mels rifles, and am still in a wait and am way over the idea of redoing the rifle. Plus now Anita has let me know that I get to carry the heavy mag as she's kind of taken with my .270 mtn gun.

Plus, today I ran into a used NULA in one of those dastardly 30 cals, although as much as I like the odd balls it was sort of ok (300 Dakota). Just kind of reminded me that by now...I would of received my rifle from Mel and I'd have two nice rifles and not still waiting to finish one.

Mentioned it to Anita, she said I should either sell more real estate and or just wait for another 50 years...

Bottom line, perhaps I should of been more patient.

Just some rambling thoughts from a fella at mid life, we're supposed to wisen up as we gain age right...?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We never smarten up when it comes to rifles Mark.

I feel your pain.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I remember when I could buy one of them for 2k new and didn't do it because I couldn't wait the x number of months for Melvin to build it. Getting older in some cases(mine) doesn't make you a heck of a lot wiser.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Of course, we could say that they were 2 K back then and that amounts to how much now...grin

Gotta find a way to justify it right.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mark,

Oddly enough, I was just talking to Melvin earlier this week and he's finally decided to offer off-the-rack rifles.

He's been getting calls from people for years asking if he had something on hand, but decided to stick to the custom-order business. But recently the requests for something NOW have become more numerous, he guesses because of the economy: When people have the money for a rifle they want to spend it before it gets "diverted."

Anyway, when I talked to him he had (if I remember correctly) a couple of .30-06's, a .270, a 7mm-08 and .308 on hand. He'd also just ordered some more barrels from Douglas to make some more rifles. They'll all be in more-or-less common chamberings (no .300 Dakotas!) but if you can stand shooting a .270 Winchester (and I know YOU can) then you don't have to wait anymore--or rather, won't have to wait any longer than it takes UPS to deliver to Montana.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, Mel must be losing it a bit I don't see my beloved 7 Mashurn Super in that group. Spose anyone besides me would ever be wonky enough to even ask for one... crazy?

But, I give him point for doing the 06 Improved! ork ork ork

Good to hear John, Anita had told me to just call and ask if he one sitting looking for a friend but I said no.. he doesn't do that. Guess I don't know if I should or shouldn't tell her now.

Thx
Dober

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I could almost "moon walk" myself on that news! Good to hear!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sure Anita will be thrilled to hear the news...(grin)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
(gulp)

nice for you. seriously.

Last edited by petr; 06/26/09.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sammers you have no idea....she just said something about as soon as I get done with dinner that I need to go out and sell some property. And she said to be sure and tell JB thx...grin

Dober

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dober, I'll take the G33 off your hands and you can get the NULA, OK? grin

BTW, I thought the NULA bolt wasn't much to your liking?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, except you won't get to pick options such as length of pull, etc. I suspect the same would be true of the paint job on the stock, but don't really know.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mac,

Thx for the offer, but you don't get it till I'm really done remember. But trust me that rifle aint going no where's till then. Sure would love to see Magnum blow up an elk with it though.

If you recall you got me started on this whole light weight rifle deal, so you gotta back my play about needing two light weights.

One way or another I could or would deal with the bolt thing, and it's kind of tough to turn my G33 into a Mashburn...grin

Dober

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dober, I should remember this but what is your G33 chambered?

270 Win?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, OK, I can wait another 40 years grin

Magnum blowing up an elk with the G33 would be the best... now if we can just get the bugger to think like you and I!

Sorry about the lightweight bug... I got infected with it starting backpacking in the 70's and so far it hasn't been cured grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yepper Sammer, it's the good old 06 Improved... (aka the 06 right Mac)

Any of you guys ever tried his (Mels) bench rest thing, I think he called it the Wizzard or something like that. Long and the short I worked next to Mel and his wife at a sport show last year and I while I fondled his rifles I asked about one in a 375 or such and he said that his rest handled them well?

Anyone know what his rest is called and or used one?

Gracias

Dober

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speaking of lightweights, what persuaded you to get rid of the .308 MT?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A Pre-64 M70 was jangling my chain... among other things.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mel's benchrest bag is called the Bench Wizard. It's essentially two medium-sized sandbags connected by another piece of leather just wide enough to get across the butt end of the rifle. You "wrap" the two sandbags around the butt.

The advantages are:

1) Length of pull isn't longer, unlike placing a bag between your shoulder and the buttstock.

2) The two bags widen the area of contact with your shoulder.

It works real well. I've got one and if you want to try it sometime I'd be happy to let you try it out.

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Right on. I hear good things about that round.....(grin)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 300jimmy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 24 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,450
Posts18,528,884
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.