Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3096473 06/11/09
Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I went to the "Northwest's Premier Discount Store" this week and a brick of .22s was $70.

Their prices are normally very good. So gouging doesn't fit the character of the store. The manager told me he was ashamed of the price and that was his cost from the distributor. He only got them in because of the extreme demand.

It's been a while since they have had any at all, so it was good to see a few on the shelf. -But, WOW- Has anyone else run into it this bad?

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here in the north Bay Area of California there are virtually no .22 rimfires to be had. The only ammo I've seen in the last month or so were a few boxes of Remington .22 shorts, a few Cyclones, and some high priced match ammo. Total number of rounds I've seen in stores is less than 1000. First primers, then powder, now .22s.

I'm planning a range trip with my kids today and could not find any .22s of any kind locally. You can't shoot if you don't have ammo. And if kids can't shoot, then they won't take up the hobby. Then all the gun control nuts have to do is to wait for us old farts to die off. No more gun culture. No more guns.

Hoarding has got to stop. We are doing to ourselves in the last year what gun control advocates have failed to do over the last 30 years.

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CRAP .... $70 a brick???

When in OK last month I saw some Federal Bulk packs at a local gun shop for $24 ... didn't buy any, thought it was too much. Maybe it wasn't???

I'm still have about 7k rounds at home, (down from 10k in January).

Don't call it hoarding though, I'd buy a bulk pack or two everytime I was in the store, there was always some left, but everytime I was there I'd pick up 1000 rounds. Plenty chances for others in between my visits!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If one looks at the availabilty of when ammo is suppose to be in stock at places like Midway, and perhaps use their "Backorder Ok" program, you can stay a bit ahead of the game and have ammo on hand.

I know it has to be fustrating for many us going into a sporting goods store or a store's sporting goods department and find the shelves empty or near empty,,, then compound the problem with what is available with high prices...

Those must of been some mighty fine .22's on that shelf for $70.00... Do you recall what they were?

Last edited by JoeM57; 06/12/09.

Joe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw some CCI Mini-Mags in Wally's about a hour ago for about seven bucks a hundred, CB's were $8.
Was at a gun show last weekend and bricks were available from about $20 to $25 apiece.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to the "Northwest's Premier Discount Store" this week and a brick of .22s was $70.

Hard to determine how far out of line that price is, without knowing what "the brick" was. One can pay anywhere from $14 to $160 per 500 rounds right now, depending on what the ammo is.

Prices are up, availability is down for almost all 22LR ammo and has been for the past several months. Walmart still has 550 bulk packs of Fed. for $13.47, or did as of a few weeks ago. Even they run out from time to time.

I've always tended to keep a large supply of various types of 22LR on hand. Never know when the 22 bug will bite me and I like to be ready to deal with it, when it does. Seldom have ever had less than 2000 rounds about the place.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Winchester Super-X T22 Target

I guess its not the white box - but just the same!

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I think that's way out of line for Win T22 XT22LR. I got 3 bricks of that stuff from Midway around Christmas time this past year and I think I paid in the neighborhood of $28.00 to $30.00 a brick. Even with shipping that would average the price out to about $32.50 to $34.50 a brick. I like the T22, but it's not $70.00 a brick ammo IMHO...

However, I'm sure someone will buy it...

Joe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't think this an uncommon situation now and for the forceable future. Stopped by a Wally world a few weeks back returning from .22 shooting on the pistol range. Just thought I would check what the had, empty shelves, three boxes of Rem Ultra mag something or other caliber, a bunch of shotgun ammo, and some .17hmr. Not a box of .22 there.

A few weeks before that, was at a local shop on a Saturday, talked with a guy buying a buckmark pistol, he was very happy until they told him all they had was one 50 round box of target ammo at $10 box.

I guess if you see it, you buy a box. The local store here (Dick's) sells out of .22 ammo and pistol ammo even with the three box per person limit.

The companies are making ammo, as fast as they can, round the clock, from what I hear, but not adding to production capabilities beyond what they have in operation. They do not want to invest in the capacity if regulations on ammo change in the future (right or wrong).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Winchester Super-X T22 Target

I guess its not the white box - but just the same!

From what I can tell, T22 now comes in a gray/red/black box, like some of the other WW stuff?

That's about $69 more than I'd pay for it, since none of my rifles ever seemed very fond of it. And yep, that sounds way too high.

About the only "pricy" ammo I ever buy, is Wolf Match Target. Last paid $49 per brick back in March, haven't checked the price lately, has probably gone up? Recently saw some Fed. Ultra Match for $169 and that was at a shop that hasn't been gouging with their ammo prices. That's too rich for my blood.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Can't imagine paying $70 for a brick of T-22's. But then I never thought I'd pay $3 for a loaf of bread either. For now, that is about 2x the price is ought to be. Winchester's 22 ammo does run a bit on the high side in general however.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
70 bucks a brick? Was it Wolf Match Extra?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My local shop has Federal bulk for $22 all day long.

Walmart is hit or miss on availability, but is still $14 per 550 rds of Federal bulk stuff.

$70 is crazy.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Stopped at three WMarts today and no bulk ammo. CCI MiniMags in boxes of 100. Dicks had two boxes of Winchester Dynapoints 500 for $22. I took one and left one for the next guy.

"Que scais-je?"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Picked up another box of their Fed. 550 Value Pack yesterday, still that same price.

The day before I had stopped by and they had none, but there were three carts full of stock to be put out in sporting goods, when I was there. Musta been some Federal 22 on one of those carts?

All gone but about 10 boxes yesterday, when I got "mine". Had to go by there two days in a row, figured might as well stop and see what they had?

Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Mrs. put herself on the calling list of a local store so she could pick me up a couple bricks for father's day.

I was pleased they were remington for only 20 bucks a brick, but they reduced the count to 400 rounds. 10 boxes of 40. They just don't pack them full.

It looks like the federal bulk pack is about the best deal out there for plinking ammo when you can find it.

Another store had the winchester white brick for 15, but they were gone by the time I got there.

Times are changing; I suppose every generation says that.

Samuel Adams

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
$22 a brick here, and I thought that was price gouging! Last ones I bought were $14.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Those prices are crazy, maybe people are thinking "for the future" with a new president and all...

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
My son and I tried some of the bulk pack (500 Rounds) of Remington Thunderbolt this past Tuesday night, and I'll admit,,, they performed pretty darn good.

We were shooting at long range metal - not paper - and we had good luck with the stuff. We both shot in the neighborhood of 100 - 120 rounds each and had only one failure to fire from our Marlin 795's...

We passed that round to one of our friend's who was shooting a single shot Savage Mark IG, and he nailed the 155 yard metal coyote with it. So in reality we've had no misfires from this box as yet.

Who knows??? What is considered cheap ammo right now (if it exist any longer) may become $40.00 a brick and our kids will think that was cheap when they're our age.

Ammo supply and prices are way out of control. Of course, so is everything else... We've no choice but to ride it out (with some well placed letter's of disproval) to our government officials.

Last edited by JoeM57; 06/25/09.

Joe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (21, 6MMWASP, Alan_C, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,892
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.