Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 193 of 1,842 1 2 191 192 193 194 195 1841 1842
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mmmmm blueberries. we used to go camping up on the Echo trail and pick them, but it has been prolly 2 or 3 years since we have gotten up there.

Pick a berry, eat a berry. Pick a berry, eat 2 berries.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by bucktail
An eyepatch would really set off the pocket protector and propeller beanie...

Don't forget about the cod piece. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dave, hope you're doing better today. How about adding a chest protector with a codpiece to you're wardrobe. Would be a nice touch with the beanie.

Sure wish we had blueberries around our area. Blackberries should be ready in 5/6 weeks.

Talked with my DIL yesterday. They're getting snow in South Africa (It's winter there).

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
echo trail, that's neat country

Something clever here.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Grizzly Bill

Surely you can grow Blueberries in WI.

Get some "northern" grown stocks/varieties.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Echo Trail is where i got my Moose we stayed at the lake Jeanette Campground. Nice country

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
we always stay at the echo lake campground, which I think is just west of the lake jeanette campround. it is neat country. i know a guy who deer hunts up thataway. he turned me on to it. some nice bucks up der.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Please tell me about deer hunting near the Echo Trail. I can't get those northern bucks out of my blood, no matter how much I try, they keep sucking me back in.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Louis, Blueberries seem to do better in the Northern part of the state then here in central wisconsin. I knew a fellow that raised them here and did quite well with them, but he spent a lot of time and money in the process.

GB

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
the soil they grow in around camp chickenbuck is pretty much a forest mulch layer over sand. I can only guess that it's fairly acidic on the ph scale. the "soil" or organic layer over the sand is pretty light stuff. Rotting forest layer basically.

That seems to be where they do well, not so much hardwoods but pine forest areas.

Something clever here.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The wife & I acquired 50 acres of private wooded land in a fairly remote location early in the winter months of this year. 2 sides border state land that goes on for what seems like for ever.

We have prepared a building site & have started building our hunting cabin. 24 x 32 cabin with 3 bunk rooms, kitchen/dining area, small living room type area & an attached sauna room. Wood and or propane heat, propane range/oven, probably the lights too. No electricity, no running water. Thinking about putting a sand point in & a hand pump for water to wash up with.

It's accessible by truck but it's a slow trail a good 3/4 mile off the closest decent gravel road.

The most notable part of this new camp is a new member to our hunting group. My best friends son, 16 years of age. My best friend, also my cousin, lost his life recently in a plane crash. I invited his boy to take part in the building of this new camp & asked if he could come up & hunt with us as well.

He's taken to me, taken to the project & taken to the idea of calling it his hunting camp with the passion & enthusiasm that only a starry eyed young hunter could bring. It's a true blessing and a wonderful thing. The bond between us is strengthening and it is helping me deal with the loss as much or more than it could possibly be helping him. Me & his dad were only about 12 days apart in age & have been best friends since before we could talk. I suppose we are as people would often say "like brothers". Looked alike, talked & thought alike, I suppose that makes it easier for his boy & I to bond so well.

We're trying to keep things pretty rustic, we like the absence of electricity, the hand pumped well idea, Wood stove, It's going to be quite the place, a foundation for many memories to come. I have 3 kids of my own, 1 girl & 2 boys, all are already or at least show promise of being hunters. My wife likes to hunt, I have brothers, I'm sure my dad will take part. It's the beginning of something good, the birth of what will be a sentimental memory factory.

I'm standing at the beginning looking forward, and I know well enough to absorb it all, soak it up & live in the moments, because they move so fast.

Well, there's the intro, lengthy, but there it is. Any shack/cabin tips and or considerations from those that are past my point & looking back are certainly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

This was my opening post for this thread on 08/09/07

I had no idea where it would lead or where we would be in 2 years.

When I say 2 years, I mean 2 years from the event that anchored the whole project & brought our camp group together as a tighter family.

I mean 2 years from the loss of a man we all miss so dearly. We've all been charging along for 2 years now without him. 2 years ago today we lost him.

At his funeral I read a few words the best I could to his immediate family. I did the best I could to pay tribute to the best friend I have ever had, a great man, man of truth and integrity... I did the best I could with words to explain how I choose to basically honor his life by making efforts to live as he would live when ever possible. And I do, I find myself making decisions based off what I think Waylon would do.

And it makes me feel good, it keeps me out of trouble too. grin

Today we reflect & remember a father, a brother, a husband, a son, a best friend. We remember a great man, celebrate his life & cherish his greatest accomplishments which are his 3 wonderful children.

Here's to you cousin, I love you, and I sure do miss you.

Something clever here.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dave; tonight I will tip a glass to absent freinds, and hunters home from the hill...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It is tragic that it took the death of a good man to give rise to this which has come to mean so much to so many of us.His passing has created a tight virtual family of kindred souls.A man's immortality is how his being and passing affects those who live on.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Very nice words guys, thanks very much.

Thinking very much today about the immediate group effected by the loss of Waylon. A mother, a father, sister, wife, children, cousins and countless friends.

I'm so proud to be part of that group that is remembering everyday, remembering on days like today especially.

It's a strong group that i'm so sure my cousin Waylon is very proud of.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
well said Stan..Out of the ashes rise the Phoenix.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A phoenix disguised as a................CHICKENBUCK.How fitting.

Stan

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When all is said and done that is what deer camp is all about. Family friends close ties and memories, it is more then a place, its a feeling of connecting and closeness. It ties those that have gone to those who remain and those who are coming.

At least for me that is what this represents. Thank Dave and Pam for making us all a part of it.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Great Scott I've got some reading to do for catchup as soon as I post this. Sorry guys got busy again with the usual honey do's, not to mention I'm canning apricot Jam and just finished watching kiddo and kiddo#2 play little league.

We got home from the game and kiddo thunder and I just cut another 15 quarts worth of Jam so wifey will put them in jars tomorrow as I pick more. If I can keep the coons out I'll have sweetcorn and maters in less then a week. YUM!

Also finished a deal tonight with a cousin on a Big fiberglass ski boat I dunno I think its a 24 footer like a runabout of something. Real open and room to seat 10 or so people. No motor or trailer but in good shape 1 Benjy thats it, should make an awesome duckboat when I'm done! Thats my next projecto now.. LOL..

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dave,

Sorry to hear about the beestings and ya know that was my calling here tonight was the thought of your family and of your cousin you lost. I was thinking of my Father being gone and of those whom I had cheerished and been honored to have called them friend. Then I thought of your friend and the friends I have made here, I didn't want to come on for the first time in a week or so and be sappy. But ya know guys and gals of camp chickenbuck I'm honored to call all of you friends..

Tomorrow morning will find us all in different places going different directions but we will all have one direction in common in our thoughts, and that is in wondering what our friends from here are doing at that time. Each time our thoughts wonder to here as mine do daily especially when I talk to a couple guys from Mn. daily, many times I think of this place and my friends here. Each time we all think of our friends here its a thought in honor of your cousin and our lost friends watching over us all.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Very nice words guys. thanks very much.

I'm going to shift gears here a little bit, this is a tough week marking the passing of my cousin Sunday, and then his birthday tomorrow.

so, I call for a little break. A brief change of subject.

There are a few chores that we cant let slip off the chickenbuck list for this season. We have had a cast iron hand pumped pitcher well sitting dry on the chickenbuck kitchen counter top for 2 winters now. That's a shame, I'd say it's time to push a pipe into the ground & see if we can pump some water this year for cleaning dishes & such.

We also have a very nasty spot in our access trail that has likely damaged a couple of trucks now and it stuck an oafish black 1 ton ford pretty damn good this spring grin we should do something about that bad spot in the trail.

I have mowing that needs to be done, around the chickenbuck cabin first off, bugs are getting bad there. Also the trails that we made through the woods with he new brush mower. It would be a shame to let them trails grow in.

Wood pile. We need to cut that log pile by the cabin into stove lengths & stack it all up. We also have several tamarack near the cabin that have recently died that we could just as well add to the pile along with that huge jackpine that went down in the wind last fall up by the cabin.

Then stands, Dusty's stand has not been the best & a new logging access trail has left him sort of exposed. I think it could be time to move that stand, but we need his thoughts on that.

Pam's stand is looking good but we were going to try to work up the ground there & get some sort of a plot going there.... we're running out of time for that.

We also have those barn board to put up in the cabin (that's going to look really cool!)

Those are all the "free projects" I can think of, the ones we can do without going to pocket.

There is other stuff we would like to do like the soffit & fascia. Pretty important actually, the squirrels have really taken a liking to the attic in the winter frown

I'll have to make that one of my own goals this season I think.

Well it's time to get to work here this morning. Have a good tuesday fellow chickenbuckaroo's.

Something clever here.

Page 193 of 1,842 1 2 191 192 193 194 195 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.