Hop To
T
toddm Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hello all,

Having read a ton of reviews and other posts on packs it seems the consensus is that the eberlestock packs are not great for heavy loads in that they put a lot of rearward pulling on the shoulders.

How about for lighter day pack loads. I'm really looking for a elk hunting day pack, and I love the option that the eberlestock packs allow for easy packing of the rifle. I can't see putting more than 30lbs in one, and would have a dedicated frame pack for packing out meat.

Is the frame/suspension on the eberlestock packs (gunslinger, x1, J107 etc) not enough to even deal with these such loads?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wear a gunslinger pack daily all summer and regularily carry 30 pounds in it. Last fall i even packed out and elk with it - one quarter at a time. it is fine for those type of loads and it's ability to easily carry a rifle, tripod or fly rod makes in mighty handy. For heavier loads like moose quarters and boat motors you will be happier with a good frame pack.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
They are well made and do not take our word on how something will fit you! If I did not buy my Kifaru's I would still be carrying mine. It may fit you like a glove. Carry a first load out and as mentioned above grab a frame pack. Good luck!

Good Shooting!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used mine exactly as you mentioned; as a daypack mostly, then to pack a quarter (in one case an entire boned mountain goat w/cape) back to camp. As a daypack, it shined. Packing quarters, it was okay, then I grabbed my freighter frame.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I screwed up and picked a Just One and ended up using it more like a daypack. It's too heavy for that although my buddy chose to load his brown bear hide in it. He hauled that load which we figured was about 150 lbs. I would have preferred the Gunslinger I suppose but I have nothing bad to say about the Eberlestock line. I'd say Phil has the right idea.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

IC B2

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have given up on my J104 for backpack hunting. It does not handle heavy loads well. I will be using my J104 for a blackbear hunt next week as a day pack to carry a tripod, cameras, and a bunch of other stuff I wouldn�t backpack with. I feel it is comfortable up to about 35-40lbs.

I also have an X2 which I feel is a great daypack and weighs half the J104 and I can comfortably carry just about as much weight.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
the j104 is a nice pack and has many great features, having never used another expensive pack, im not sure if it is the fit, but I can also atest to the fact that the j104 does pull on the shulders,from what ive read this is most likely due to the fit of the pack. for a big day pack with the option of carrying a gun of a tripod of fishing pole the just one is a usefull pack.

AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I went from j104 to j107 and the j107 carries heavier loads much better. Tough packs... I understand the weight away from the shoulders concern due to the scabbard space and the bladder holder. Honestly, I didn't feel it was much of an issue and carried about 80 lbs for 5+ miles multiple times during the week. You don't have to use the scabbard and can cinch down the straps to keep weight closer. No complaints about the 107. Fine for a day pack too. After packing in with 45 lbs and carrying animals with 80 + lbs..... a day pack was light to me any way you look at it.

I will be looking at the new kifaru packs this year though, I hear nothing but good. We'll see how the budget goes.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Take a look at Eberlestock's Halftrack might be just what you're looking for, and you can't beat it for easy access. grin

Phil

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've use the Blue Widow and a recent hike had around 55 pounds in it. It seemed to carry well even with my 130 pound body lugging it. If I ever get around to adjusting the aluminum stays, I imagine it'll run better. However, the Blue Widow doesn't have the permanent gun scabbard.

John Morgan

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, Anaconda, anothergun, 6MMWASP, BB3, ar33c9, 8 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,529
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.