-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's fuggin awesome. Pass me a Bud so I can celebrate witcha.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love handis, too. Just nabbed a .45-70 with black plastic stock. Sweet, sweet shooter, and oh so light with open sights. You and your son did way well. I've had a couple of '06 handis, both excellent shooters with 180-grain loads.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
J
J
BEEN A FAN OF THE HANDI'S FOR YEARS!! MY FIRST WAS A 45-70. KICKED LIKE A MULE BUT WAS VERY ACCURATE. I BOUGHT MY 13 YEAR OLD SON A 243 LAST YEAR. HE LOVES IT. THIS YEAR ON OPENING DAY HE HAD A NICE 8 COME OUT FROM BEHIND SOME CEDARS HEADING FOR STATE GROUND. HE FIRED 4 SHOTS FROM THAT LITTLE SINGLE IN UNDER 10 SECONDS!! I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO MELT THE FOREARM OFF THAT THING!! NICE PICS AND CONGRATS ON A GREAT HUNT!

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
While I don't hunt with a single shot, my son has me inspired to try one. Just can't decide what I want.

maddog

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great photos of a great hunt! Congrats again to you and your son, as well as to Ricco the wonder dog! smile

IC B2

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah Guy, good ole Rico.... Got me to lookin and I found 2-3 with ole Rico in em. Here they are, just for fun. God, I loved that pooch grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hope ya like em. Ah, a boy and his dog[for 10 days] grin

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 02/09/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
When that pup grows into them feet he's gonna be a helluva big pooch grin

Mad Dog

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Two thumbs up! Sounds, (and looks), like a great hunt, and a great time. My nephew started hunting this year, and I insisted he start with one of my Handi-Rifles. I started with a single shot almost too many years ago to remember, and still love them today. I like a new shooter/hunter to get it in their head that they have to make the one shot good, good advice for any age or level of experience. I have a number of guns I hunt with, and have taken some good natured slack from buddies when I choose to hunt with one of my NEF's, but I eat good every year! Congrats on a great hunt, you've every right to be proud of your boy, thanks for sharing the pics and story!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This is a great thread. A friend who has owned over 100 rifles and shotguns in the last 15 years swears the most accurate he ever owned was an NEF in 22 Hornet. My only objection to them is the awful trigger. I almost bought one in 243 last week for a truck gun but the trigger just really put me off.
Getting a 'smith to do a trigger around here would cost another $100. It's cheaper to get it to begin with.

Last edited by drducati; 03/14/09.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
IC B3

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Wow, $100 bucks?! I had my trigger done probably 10 years ago, the guy charged me twenty bucks, and took it to 2&1/2 pounds, made all the difference in the world. Last I heard, and it's been a while since I've checked, if you send the gun back to have other barrels fit for it, they would take your trigger back to 4 #'s upon request. I can't verify that, and four pounds isn't great, but as you say, a lot better than the stock trigger.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by maddog
While I don't hunt with a single shot, my son has me inspired to try one. Just can't decide what I want.

maddog

Now is definitely the time to acquire a #1 Ruger. You will not be disappointed. I'm not.

[Linked Image]

And if you make it a big bore, so much more fun as well. laugh

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a Handi rifle and a Ruger #1 in 30-06. I find the Handi much faster and easier to load than the ruger and these two rifles are in a dead heat as to accuracy. I did the trigger on the Handi and it breaks nicely at 2 1/2 pounds. The Ruger is much prettier though. If the conditions call for a rough hunt in the rain the Ruger doesn't get to go.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just bought a handi today in 22-250. have a simmons master series 6 - 18 x 40 A/O scope laying in the safe that is going to go on top.
haven't had a 22-250 since 1974 so I am really looking forward to getting to the range. plan on using it for yotes and possibly deer.

Great pixs and story. you have every right to be a proud dad.

Last edited by tgrif; 03/26/09.

Retired U.S. Army
LM-NRA,GOA,& MOAA.

Someone said, "Don't mess with old men, especially those who are veterans!!!
They'll not fight you, they'll kill you"!!!

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/lonewolf5347/?action=view&current=30-06target001.jpg
I have the HR Handi in 30-06 and from the bench at 100 yard target this gun will shoot

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Great story.Nice pics.Congrats to you and your Boy.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
shootist, if africa shows up in the scheme of things, again, I might have to look into the .450/.400 3" topped with a leupie to take over with me.

maddog

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Totally NARLY, Dude...I'm very envious... cry cool

It has never been the rifle or the caliber, per se, that kills...it is the hunter's ability to place the bullet correctly...the 30-06 has always been "enough rifle" for most of the worlds game...trying to convince others is the problem...not to say having lots of choice isn't a very good thing...it would be a very boring place without choice. wink

That said, I'm now rechambering an NEF 45-70 BC to 45-120 and adding a muzzle brake...I plan on shooting Ranger Ricks 720 gr T-Rex slugs mostly...720 at 1800-2000 fs should be quite enough for ANYTHING that walks the planet. mad

I also have two stub barreled Handi's...a 17 FB and a 6BR...both barely legal in the barrel length that are just a hoot to shoot and have almost replaced my other Varminters out to 250 yds or so.

I like the Handi for a number of reasons...if you do the required accuracy prepping they are almost as accurate as my $2500 fancies...the 17FB and 6BR will do 1/2-3/4" at 200 yds when I do my part with the trigger and the ammo. I also have a couple of stub barrel ideas when the time is right.

I'm not sure I would use ANY single shot on DG unless the PH was standing right beside me with a large caliber double and a gun bearer holding a large cal bolt gun right behind me...even though I don't have any doubts about my ability to shoot large calibers or place the bullet where it would do the most good...or use a levergun unless the same conditions were met...I have a very high level of self preservation that would hole me back...but for planes game the Handi has lots going for it.

The only thing I really don't like about the Handi's is the short barrel...I like a minimum of 24" and 26" is my normal barrel length except for varminters...plus the shorter barrel just make the package LOOK unbalanced.

I have several other single shot pistols and rifles...T/C's and XP-100's I have lots of fun with...but the Handi beats them all in price.

For those who don't like the "pallet wood" parts, you can always do it up with fancy wood...you can always re-do the polish and finish and now with the SS coming available you don't have to hide it from prying eyes of phoney balones. blush frown

Keep enjoying your toys.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
NFG, speaking of pallet wood stocks, I just refinished a H&R Topper shotgun stock. I used Fiebings leather dye[mahogany], and topped it with about 8 coats of polyurethane. It came out awesome, and the leather dye really soaked in to the wood and showed off the grain [what there was] rather nicely. The color and look is very similar to shootist's ruger posted above, only shiney because of the poly.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 04/25/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had a soft spot for the old H&R/NEF action ever since I got my first real gun as a kid. It was an H&R Topper 20 ga. There is just something satisfying about its simplicity compactness. If I had not just purchased an old Savage 219 single shot 30-30, this thread would have inspired me to go find a decent handi rifle. Thanks for sharing the photos and story Maddog.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (219 Wasp, 160user, 22250rem, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 5,988 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,819
Posts18,536,870
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.