Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Need something small and light enough that I'll take it. Needs to run on the butane gas tank (same as my stove) and needs to be dourable. Other than that, open to any suggestions. Thanks.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What is your stove, which type of propane canister connection?

These are pretty nice for a battery lantern ... http://www.backcountry.com/store/CMN0134/Coleman-Exponent-CR123A-Lithium-Pack-Away-Lantern.html

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Until LEDs, battery lanterns couldn't compete with gas lanterns or candles for light output and duration. Good LED headlights and lanterns have changed the balance. I've tried small candle lanterns and small gas lanterns in the past. None compete with a good LED headlamp loaded with disposable lithium cells for backpacking although a small candle lantern is a good tentwarmer in really cold temps. My kids have a cheap wally world led lantern that's light, works every time, puts out good light and has really good battery life. Even the smallest gas lanterns are heavier.

Probably the best canister fuel backpacking lantern I've seen lately is a primus lantern- http://www.rei.com/product/784354 I haven't used that one but I had tried a similar design years ago.
The lantern mantles will stand more abuse than you'd think but they're still failure prone as compared to a good LED light.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree with the LED suggestion. There are several types out now that serve as a flashlight, free standing lantern, etc. They are light, bright and a couple extra batteries are lighter and less mess than fuel of any type.

I use headlamps mostly now for hunting but at camp, a lantern is really nice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've given up on all the fancy backpacking lanterns and settled on the 24 LED UFO light which can be picked up at Wal-Mart for about $8. Long batt life (2AAs), light and really lights up a 4 man tipi.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/ufoledcali.html

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've looked at and have and use some headlamp leds, but I sure like the hiss and soft light of a lantern for an hour or so before bed. My stove has the small butane threaded connection. I see where coleman has a small little mantle lantern w/ mesh globe. It weighs in at a scant 3.2 oz. It looks real comparable to the Brunton Lucy. I may try to find one of these to try this fall.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree Centershot, the LED's just don't give you that warm homey feeling. Most of my trips include my Kifaru stove so I get my warm glow and crackle from the fire so I can put up with the cold, sterile glow of the LEDs when I need some light.

Good luck on your search.

M
M
I bought one of these a while ago from Steep and Cheap for $33.00, but have not tried it out yet.

http://www.moontrail.com/primus-micronlantern.php?mes=apper

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Seriously considering this one myself. Seems like the best of both worlds.

http://www.rei.com/product/745931

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This is the gas lantern I've been using for the last 10 years or so. Very adjustable. Very bright when turned up or has a very nice glow. The mantle has not needed replacement either. (I keep it in it's padded storage bag)
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/stoves-and-lanterns/gas-camping-lanterns/product-443062.html

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We run the LED theory too. A Brunton of some model.

We aren't like others, far from moutains so when we do get to hunt, its a hunt, not a camping trip, hence we aren't in the tent that long..... A bit of light to cook by and sleep.

Actually tend to carry 3 tiny LED clip on lights and use 2 hanging in the paratipi most times.... use the brunton if in the 6 man...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've been using the Snowpeak lantern for a number of years. Puts out good light and works well on the same cartridges as my Giga stove.

http://www.snowpeak.com/back/lanterns/index.html

Last edited by rradams; 06/28/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a GAZ lantern on that bid site for 14.99. I have the GAZ stove (one of 4 diff stoves I have) so I've been buying the blue fuel bottles for stockpiling for years now. smile I made a promise to myself that I would always buy a fuel cell everytime I go into REI...I haven't kept that promise but I have a nice stock of cells.

Mark

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use a Coleman LED lantern that works fairly well, Has a bright and low, and a strobe mode. Though the difference between bright and low isn't much, so I'd agree on the softer light of a butane lantern.

John Morgan

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Primus and Snowpeak work well, just bring extra mantles, they tend to break in transit. Snowpeak has a no mantle model available now. Might be worth a try.

The light is solid, not super bright, and they are decent on fuel consumption.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have about 5 of those little one bulb LED in blue, green, red and white.

Like $6 each at Academy Sports.

They are great for hanging in a small tent, but more importantly, I hang them on my ruck and turn at least one of them on any time I'm walking in the dark. Too many idiots in the woods.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've used a primus for 7 years. Very reliable. It runs on the same cans as my MSR Superfly. Not the lightest option, but very bright and very durable. You can control the brightness and fuel use as needed with the valve. It has never failed. In my recent "light is right" quest, I'm going back to the old school candle lantern.

"Never get out of the boat"
T
tKD Offline
T
Though I believe they quit making them some time ago, the Coleman Peak has worked very well for me. It's a single mantle which operates just like their full size lanterns, puts off about 75% of the light and is only 8 inches high. Adds some comfort to camp when your several miles in. Picked up a couple of used ones on fleabay last year for parts- just in case.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The coleman liquid fuel lights are really nice, always start, bright light, and moderate fuel consumption rate. A bit on the heavy side. Good choice if you are using a liquid fuel stove.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Primus stove that works great. As mentioned before, make sure to pack some extra mantles they have a tendency to break in transit.

http://primuscamping.com/product.php?id=15

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (117LBS, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 3,084 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,968
Posts18,499,277
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.