Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I dropped all three Wolfe publications about six months ago after subscribing to all of them from Issue Number One. With Johnny out of there, I simply was not learning or enjoying. So what's the point.

Having owned and operated my own retail jewelry store for almost thirty years, if I had a really long term customer send a letter and drop his patronage, I would have done just about anything to get him back. I wrote a letter and experssed my displeasure with Wolfe.

Apparently, I left without a ripple. They really don't care.

Sucks to be them.

Steve

I like your comment about learning and enjoying, Steve. There is an aweful lot I do not know or only know superficially, but all magazines lost me a long time ago as they never seemed to cover what I needed to learn.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been disappointed with the last several issues myself for various reasons.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Darn, and I was looking forward to the 3 free issues I signed up for at Ramshot's website lol

You need to call it. I can't call it for you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm so old that I can remember when Guns & Ammo had an occasional rifle article in it. I, too, just read the latest Handloader and could find little of interest for a deer/big game hunter, or a serious rifle enthusiast. Except for the article on the low end, scrambled port/bolt, varmint gun.

I hereby rename thee: Handgunloader. grin

There is a very fine line between idiotic and clever. Most internet posters have no idea where it is.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I let mine go 2 months ago - guess I ain't missing anything............

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sucks...but I'll have to endure it for another 2 years,my wife upped my subscription for a birthday gift.The .22-250 was interrupted by the Nosler commercials.I love their bullets,but the rifles suck......

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let all three go. Replaced them with Sports Afield and Guns.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I will stick with Wolfe for now. This is not its lowest point but it's getting close. This latest issue looks like it may be slightly better than some lately. I have a nearly complete set of HANDLOADER and most of RIFLE, but I sure miss the days when Finn, Ross, and JB were all writing.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"I am glad to have him writing for Guns Magazine, which I do subscribe to."

I just renewed my subscription to GUNS Magazine for that very same reason.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Compared to some of the mossbacks here I was only a short term (15 yr.) subscriber. I almost dropped them last year, but decided to give them another chance. Both Rifle and Handloader continued downhill at a ballistic rate and in January I finally gave up my subscription. I'll still find a Wolfe mag in my mailbox every month this year as a gift subscription to Rifle and Handloader was my Father's day gift. I'll have to drop some tactful hints about the rags and hope that in the interum Wolfe can get it's act together.

"Hunting in the wilderness is of all pastimes the most attractive" Teddy Roosevelt 1893

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I quit Wolf and started subscribing to Guns, although I let my Petersen's Hunting go.

I sent the Wolfe editor a letter about writing structure and what constitutes a paragraph--never heard from them. Although the owner was a nice guy and sent me a free book of my choice, Barsness' "Life of the Hunt," after pointing out that the cover of an issue had "Reminton" and not "Remington." It was on the electronic version and almost went to print.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Handloader and Rifle are terrible now, except for a few Pierce and M.V. articles. I will not renew. My friend just bought some Rifle and Handloaders from the late 70's. These are good. Some of the articles are over my head (not too hard). Your correct Husqvarana, Ross, Finn, J.B and the occasional Phil S. was some good reading!!! Now the ads are more exciting than the text!

Marc
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't care for "Guns" either, but they do have some interesting articles occasionally. I guess I don't like the "Duke" articles, (a.k.a. "The Duck.") I knew his articles before he was the Duke, didn't care for them then. I note they're the only magazine that uses that title in their byline.

Ain't but one Duke.

All of the mags will have an occasionaly article that's pretty good. But a LOT of those articles (except JB's and a few others) are pretty well plowing previously-tilled furrows. I like the reloading subjects, which are no doubt redundant, but it's always nice to read another article...recently saw one on the .300 Savage. Empty article, really. But what can you say?

I remember the Duck wrote an article once where he said it was an unusual feature of the Mauser rifle that they fed from the magazine. It was as if he'd only discovered this and didn't know what to make of it. Hmmmmmm....If it ain't Goex powered, perhaps he's out of his depth.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Gene L

Ain't but one Duke.

Finally wrote something I think all of us can agree with.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm so old that I can remember when Guns & Ammo was called Bows and Arrows. I hated going to the store for a copy and then have to lug one home. They were written on stone tablets. grin

There, I fixed it for you. laugh

I'll bet there are a few of you that aren't fun at parties. Some of the posts could suck the life out of the Dallas cheerleaders. Just be glad you live in a country where you have enough hunting/shooting magazines that you can afford to be choosy.

And on that cheery note, some man verse.
---

Men that have a third testicle often brag, but are generally shallow. For the majority that only have two, claiming to be a �polyorchid� will liven up any conversation. Rarely will you be asked to prove it�

Ode to a Testicle

The doctor said it's mystical
The nurse was ever practical
My friends were always cynical
I have an extra testicle

In school they called it magical
The tailor called it tragical
The girls all had a festival
I have an extra testicle

The jealous called it miniscule
Their thoughts so very clerical
It's all so very medical
I have an extra testicle

A few have said it's radical
And all have called it laudable
It's totally symmetrical
I have an extra testicle

- Stephen Redgwell 1998

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My Handloader arrived yesterday (July 1). It is less informative w/o JB stories, but still a decent publication (thanks to other's stories). I don't know if I'll renew though.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like some of Pearce's stuff and all that Phil S. writes.
If they cut Phil loose. I will surely cut them loose.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Finally wrote something I think all of us can agree with.

Well, I guess I can check that off my "things to do" list.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I miss JB's articles, but as I've yet to read a non-interesting Phil Shoemaker article I think I'll keep my subscriptions. I also like Brian Pierce articles.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I get a lot of hunting/shooting complementary magazines every month, and to tell the truth I seldom read them anymore as most of whats out there has been written and re-written a million and one times, the whole ball of wax has been about covered..

I do look them over and ocassionally read an article by the guys on 24 hr. and I will go find an article if it is in question, such as that guy Hoot or whatever his name was, that wasn't too popular over his remarks about the .270 being unfit for Mule Deer, now that was a dumb statement, but he is still making his bones and simple doesn't have enough experience to be writting for a publication at this point, but we all have to start somewhere so I'll give him that much and he was only stating his opinnion, as silly as it was IMO..

The trouble with the up an coming writers is they don't have enough hunting experience nor time working with guns to be doing what they do IMO, I don't know the answer to that, but its not my problem and they'll have to work that one out on there own...

As to spelling, or whatever, if I can read it and its communicating to me I am satisfied, I certainly won't waste my time correcting papers! smile I mean, get a life, get over it! smile smile then again if thats your "thang" bang away at'em!:)

Last edited by atkinson; 07/02/09.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,417
Posts18,507,346
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.