T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by lovesmesomeguns
Originally Posted by Tom264
Originally Posted by lovesmesomeguns
im going to have to respectfully disagree with everything you are saying here.any good expanding .308 of any weight will more often than not be recovered against the far hide of even small bears
How many bears have you shot in your lifetime?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that Klik has shot more than you.

ive shot 6 bears in my lifetime but i run a butcher shop every fall and for the last five years have butchered minimum 30 bears a year so yeah im going to go out on a limb and say klik has not killed 156 bears. 95% of the bears ive cut have had no exit wound. 100% of them have been shot in the fall when they are fat which obviously makes a difference, i apologize for respectfully disagreeing i will only follow the herd from now on.
OK where do you live? and what butcher shop do you run?
Which bears? Black/Brown?
Bump!

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
From a 308 Win?

Hornadies SP, Accubond, Intrebond E-tips, anything decent really in 165 or 180 flavor (for the non-premies).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't be tools... It's Big Chief posting under a new name.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If all you want is close range penetration just load 180 gr. solids by A-Square, Barnes, Hornady, Woodleigh, etc. over some H380 or IMR 3031.

If you want expansion too there are plenty of choices even if you can't use Partitions. The 180 Accubond, 180 A-Frame, 180 Kodiak, 180 North Fork, 180 Oryx, or .180 TSX or TTSX (and I'm probably missing a half dozen others) will certainly do that job. Any of those should be through-and-through on black bear and vitally destructive on all but the biggest U. arctos.

"Hunting in the wilderness is of all pastimes the most attractive" Teddy Roosevelt 1893

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
In Canada, if you had time to get 3-4 shots into a bear before he's on top of you, you'd get charged for poaching because you started shooting at him from too far away.

Klik,
Just out of curiosity, have you seen any grizz shot with "good slugs", and if so, what were the results?

I was mostly referring to Fosters in my post above, as they are the only type of slug I have experience with...

I've never hunted bears with the "good slugs". However, for my own satisfaction I have done some controlled tests just to make sure I have confidence that they will work if they are ever needed. The Brennekes I've tried have stood well alongside A-Frames in the 375 H&H as well as the better stuff in the 45-70.

[Linked Image]
This is one bullet "failure test" where I was shooting about the most formidable real stuff: moose leg joints, I could find. Even then, the better slugs were recovered deep in the trapping media (shredded, wet newsprint).

That leaves me to worry only about my own abilities.

As for repeated shots, I believe many folks assume only rampaging, full-tilt charges warrant defense from bears, or that that is the only form in which they are a threat. My own experience around bears has been that they can also create proximity threats which don't require lethal intent. I've fired countless rounds toward bears - including several that many folks might have shot the animal for- where it was comforting to have a second shot very quickly available just in case things "went south." Generally bear problems can be "thunk out."

Last edited by Klikitarik; 07/02/09.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the report. Like I said before, I have absolutely no experience with "good slugs".

My experience with bears mirrors yours, most encounters can be resolved by using your brain rather than your gun. I was referring to multiple shots being fairly unrealistic because, while you may put bullets into the ground to turn a bear, it's rare to use multiple shots on a bear. The whole "slug, slug, buckshot, slug" is a moot point if you're putting most of those shots into the dirt.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (17Hunter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 163bc, 66 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,434
Posts18,507,609
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.