Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
show up in the strangest places. Anyone ever had one of your rifles load itself after years of sitting in the back of the rack?

I never keep any loaded weapons around except for one shotgun and one handgun in the house. But today, while showing my nephew a few candidates for his new deer rifle, he racked the bolt a couple of times on a .270 and out flies a shell. Now, it wasn't in the chamber before he worked the bolt a few times and there was no real danger because safe gun handling was being practiced, but I was a little shaken, then mad at myself.

I honestly don't know the last time that rifle was used and I really don't know how it was loaded. Well...I guess I know I left it with a few in the magazine but I don't know why or how.

So, I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I'll reiterate the old axiom to treat every gun as if it is loaded because it just may be.

GB1

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yup----just happened. Shotgun.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep several loaded: the home defense pistols and shotguns, the .223 for coyotes that visit my dog kennel, the .22 rimfires (my 10-22 and my wife's little lever action) for jackrabbits in the yard, and a Model 94 .32 Special, just in case it might be needed. Every time I take a firearm from the gun safe, I make sure that it's empty--both chamber and magazine, before I even turn around.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm surprised when I find one that's not loaded.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Well, it doesn't really matter how you keep them, as long as you are consistent. The problems start when you start surprising yourself.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All guns are always loaded - didn't anyone ever tell you that?

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by siskiyous6

yep

and ime hard to go very wrong operating off that assumption

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by siskiyous6

Well, that's the way I treat them, hence no accident today. But, I still don't like to see a shell come out of somewhere I didn't think it was.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember learning that in gun saftey class given at the VFW building in Minneapolis near lake Calhoun in 1967. I was 11 years old. Thats the one thing I do not abide in hunting partners/ companions.. Unsafe handling of firearms.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
can't blame you Joe, no one likes surprises concerning firearms and chainsaws.

and don't get the wrong impression that folks are scolding you, safe firearm is a discipline, you practiced it today and even with the surprise avoided the nasty by doing so.

like ALL of us, you just need to work on your mental discipline a bit from time to time, the surprise should come that it IS unloaded regardless of what we think we remember doing when last storing the piece.

we're mostly gunnies around here and reminding each other and being brave enough to share our surprises with one another is a good thing imo.

yes Virginia and all of the bedwetters out there that inhabit our country firearms are tools of death. Responsible men handle them, hopefully regularly, cause lord knows irresponsible men are gonna have them.

we're better served by reminding each other of the "surprises" that await.

I for one appreciate you sharing yours joe, as I want to avoid surprises personally, I've two boys I'm endeavoring to teach to be men.

a man that can't/won't handle firearms and be comfortable in their use, is not a full man imo.

we don't want to be Bubba's, we want to be responsible citizens that are armed and proficient in their use.

your post served a vital function in that respect imo, and I thank you for sharing it with us.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well them youngsters will never forget that lesson. Play safe. Have a good day. LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
You know the real crime? After showing the boy a lovely Model 70, a beautiful Husqvarna Mauser, and a couple of other nice Mausers that he could use, he picked a boring old Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 I had been trying to give away or trade for a year or two already.

So, rather than him spending his money on a Wal-Mart rifle, I made him an indefinite loan of the Weatherby and showed him a decent scope to buy and he is going to start deer hunting with me this year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good pick.LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
well, at least he won't have to worry about uglying up the Vanguard....Weatherby takes care of that for you at the factory. wink

scary incident....I had one of those a couple of years ago. Not as bad as an AD, but it still gets you really focused on Rule 1 doesn't it?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have heard of many muzzle loaders that were found to be loaded even though they hadn's been fired in over a hundred years.

Several years ago, a friend found an old, rusty bolt action shotgun in some bushes on the side of the road.

I asked him if it was loaded and he said it could't be, because of it's condition, had probably been lying there for years, and anyway, the bolt was rusted shut.

Keeping it pointed in a safe direction, we oiled and beat on the bolt until it finally opened. Guess what? a 12 gage shell popped out.

I didn't think of it then, but we could have run a cleaning rod down the barrel and measured the barrel length, inside and out.

We figured the police had been chasing some hoodlum and they threw it out of the car before they were stopped.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Likewise at Casa Lee.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mighta been a crook . But ------ if I had a bolt action shotgun , it would be a candidate for throw away .[Unless it was loaded and a bear was comin' ]

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think the crime is handing someone a rifle without first checking it your self. One should hand over a rifle etc with the action open.

To not do that especially with a lad is a sin.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Agreed Scott, I always clear any firearm before is pass it to someone else and again when I get it back.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I think the crime is handing someone a rifle without first checking it your self. One should hand over a rifle etc with the action open.

To not do that especially with a lad is a sin.

I agree 100 percent.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 10 invisible), 1,016 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,126
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.