Print Thread
Hop To
W
wallaby Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I have an NEF Pardner Tracker II that I finally have an excuse to use. I drew a deer tag in a bow/shotgun only zone.

I have tried a couple different slugs through it with dismal results.

Before I go out and start buying a bunch of different loads to try, any advice?

I heard or read that some slug guns may shoot great with one load and very poorly with another. I'm hoping to narrow my search a bit before I get started.

Thanks Matt

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wallaby

I heard or read that some slug guns may shoot great with one load and very poorly with another. I'm hoping to narrow my search a bit before I get started.

There isn't that many different types of slugs for shotguns - when you compare that to centerfire rifles.. There's only about 4-6 brands.. One of them might do the trick - you just have to buy a few and test 'em out..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Is the Tracker II rifled?I think it is.If so, the NEF's generally do best with the slower sabot rounds,like Remington Copper Solids, or Winchester BRI sabots.You can try Winchester Platinum Tips as well.The really speedy sabot rounds generally do better with a faster twist. You could also look at Remington Buckhammers.Federal TruBalls have shot very well out of several rifled barrels I've tried, even though they are designed for smoothbores.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Also,use sandbags when benchresting, and be very consistent how you rest your gun.Slug guns are really touchy about that.Anymore,I usually sight in and check zero from prone, as it is more consistent than shooting of the bench, although it is NOT fun!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are about 6 major mftrs with a variety of slugs in their lines, so it can get expensive.

If it is rifled barrel, start with the lightfields, then Federal, winchester and Remington in that order.

If shots are limited to 100 yds or so, then 2 3/4 slug is the way to go. Most 3" slugs are slobber knockers and do not shoot as well anyway.

I would set it for 2" high at 50, which should be about dead on a 75 or so and then about 3-4 low at 100 depending on the slug. Test to check them out.

Generally 2-3 shots max will show if it will group. Works best if two of you can "split" a box to find what shoots in your guns.

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 08/03/09.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes slug barrels are finicky. I'm not sure what type you're using.

Fosters, sabots, Brenneke slugs etc.

Hands down the Winchester has been the most consistently accurate Foster slug for me.

The Winchesters with the Nosler Partitions have grouped the best of the sabots [They are horribly expensive]. I actually haven't had that much trouble getting most sabots to shoot in my rifled barrel.

The problem is if you switch loads the point of impact will move farther than I would have expected. Up to 6 in at 100 yards in my case.

Sight in your slug gun at a distance where the slug is still supersonic. That is usually 50 yards for Foster slugs.

The Foster slugs leave lots of crap in the barrel. Clean it with a Turbo brush or some such if you go to sabots.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 16,187 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,306
Posts18,545,519
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.