-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I decided to go out today and test some Dynapoint .22LR in water jugs.

I�m not aware of what the Dynapoints looked like before, but the ones that I have are in a white bulk pack which is labeled �Winchester Dynapoint.� I was hoping they�d be as reliable as the Winchester Xpert I�d been using before the supply dried up, but I was initially getting failures to fire on the first strike, having to turn the round 180� to find priming compound in the rim. One round had left the factory with no priming compound in the rim. I�ve found this disappointing.

[Linked Image]
This is the box the Dynapoints came in.

The hollowpoint in the bullet was small, reminiscent of the Federal bulk pack.

[Linked Image]
Note the small dimple. Compared to other hollowpoint designs I favor, this is neither deep nor wide.

However, the bullet profile leant itself to feeding. Though I�ve never had a problem with the Squirrel Sniper feeding anything, folks needing a more feed-friendly profile might take a look at this.

[Linked Image]
Note the almost round-nose profile.

I had shot a milk jug earlier today at 100 yards, and got no expansion of any sort. I sort of didn�t expect to as this is a standard velocity round with a small, vestigial hollowpoint.

Around here, more realistic hunting distances, at least until the leaves fall off the trees, are 10yds to 50yds max, so I set up a test at 50 yards.

[Linked Image]
50 yard range�

I used my standard milk jug setup, only I used three jugs instead of the standard five jugs I use for centerfire rounds.

[Linked Image]
The metal plate is used for a couple things: First, I know an unimpeded round will punch right through it, so it�s a very rough measure of remaining power. Second, I was hoping that it would help recover bullets. It didn�t quite work out that way, however.
I was using my �Squirrel Sniper,� which is capable of dime accuracy at 50 yards with most ammo, this bulk pack included.

[Linked Image]
Here is the setup. Earplugs are a good idea, even with rimfire.

A couple notes on the movie: First, I forgot to zoom in, so please forgive me for that. I didn�t have the milk jugs to repeat the performance, or I would have. Second, I fired five times, figuring I could get expansion from at least one bullet.

[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/alb...s/Dynapoint%20test/th_MOV00008.jpg[/img]
The shots�

And the results:

[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/Dynapoint%20test/3jugsblownout.jpg[/img]
These are the milk jugs. They are torn up, but not in much worse shape than standard LRN would have done.

It should be noted that the caps were taken off by me; I was looking for bullet fragments. None were found. The bullet lying on the board is one that flattened against the piece of metal and cannot be counted.

[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/Dynapoint%20test/finalexit.jpg[/img]
These are the exit holes on the rearmost jug. Though it�s split, you�ll notice that the holes are caliber sized. Little to no expansion took place.

I did manage to recover a bullet.

[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/Dynapoint%20test/spentbullet.jpg[/img]
This bullet was laying on one of the sawhorses. There is no expansion, and the only deformation is a �tattoo� from hitting a milk jug, and a bit of damage at the base. It looks like it may have tumbled a bit after impact.

Overall, I am not impressed. While in hunting situations placement is key, expansion is also desirable on most game in the United States. I do not know if this is the same Dynapoint that was originally developed; I would very much hope not. I would expect more from Winchester�s R&R department.

Additionally, it should be noted that, though most rounds were subsonic, a few had a supersonic �crack.� Though I have yet to get a chronograph, this tells me that the ammo is pretty inconsistent.

I very much hope that Winchester gets its Xpert line back out very soon. Though it�s somewhat dirty to shoot, the terminal performance of the bullets are nothing short of awesome, especially for a bulk pack round.

I am disappointed in this �new� Dynapoint bulk pack.

Josh <><
http://handgunsandammo.proboards.com/

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Josh;

Head shots.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the Dynapoint in a number of my 22's and it is the most accurate bulk bullet i have found. I have no problem killing any small game animal i use it on. The bullet kills about as good as any other 22 round i have used. The best killing bullet in my 22's are the CCI Mini Mag HP, but all my 22's don't like them. My Kimber loves the Mini Mag and this is the bullet i use in it my Ruger 10-22 also likes these the best.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you really want expansion, go with the Winchester Power Points. If you have an accurate .22 and you just want to kill squirrels, use any ammo that shoots accurately in your rifle and make head or lung shots and you'll get your squirrel, rabbit, etc... with no problem.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yesterday I rebuilt my bird feeder for like the 100th time. I showed the base of the tree to my dog Nikki, so she could watch it.

Sure 'nuff, right after dark last night, she barked and came and got me. I turned the spot light on and saw a couple glowing eyes.

I set the spot light down, grabbed my "Squirrel Sniper" off the dining room table, went prone, lit up the crosshairs (found a purpose for the lighted reticle, finally!) and put them right between the eyes.

The bullet entered the raccoon's head right where I aimed, about 1/2 inch up from the base of the muzzle. It exited at the brain stem.

Range was about 30 yards.

Post mortem, I had a hard time finding the entrance wound and would have had a tough time except that I knew where I hit. Took out at least one frontal lobe, and the exit wound felt like the bullet expanded just a little, certainly not as much as a standard hollowpoint.

From what I'm reading, the Aussies wanted a "bullet that penetrated a lot and expanded a little bit." If true, this bullet fills that role.

I can't complain on that terminal performance.

I just didn't like the thought that went through my head before I touched off: "Man I hope this fires hail Mary fulla grace" then the shot. I briefly considered tearing into the Blazer I picked up yesterday, but there was no time.

As long as these things fire, I guess I'll like 'em...

Josh <><

IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
What'd I tell ya.........

Originally Posted by VAnimrod
Josh;

Head shots.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yup. Just got a coon raiding my bird feeder with one the other night with an entrance between the eyes and exit at the brain stem.

It's more a case now of hoping they'll go off - which they're doing more frequently as I get toward the bottom of the box. I'm guessing that maybe they had some bad quality control and were running out of components - or something - toward the top of the box. Or maybe those were somehow contaminated? Dunno.

My firing pin strike is more than adequate; it's a strong spring and puts more of a dent in 'em than most commercial .22 rifles.

When rimfire was being used by the military back in the day, I think they had firing pins which struck in multiple locations. I believe I remember reading this. Anyway, if I had a firing pin which struck at say, 3 and 9, most of these misfires wouldn't happen and I believe ignition would be much better.

I'll need to see if there's any way I can fabricate something like this... hmmm....

Thanks,

Josh <><

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Josh,you mentioned some ftf with the Winc. ammo. I just got back into a box of Fed. bulk,550 count,I believe and had about 3 different report levels. Kinda disappoiting, especially when hunting. I wasn't,but.... guess it's bound to happen.
What is your squirrel sniper? Just bein nosey.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The rifle in the picture is my "Squirrel Sniper."

I did a report by request here: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3141694#Post3141694

Josh <><

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

After writing Winchester and directing them to the report which I duplicated on another board, they replied that my email was being sent to their R&D department. This was Friday, July 3rd.

I got home today, and even being a holiday weekend, I had, in the mail, an ORM-D sticker, postage prepaid, and with an offer to have it picked up.

I am sending it all back to Winchester. Hopefully this will help their future runs.

I can tell right now that Winchester's service is top notch. I wouldn't have expected this quick of a response over a holiday.

Josh <><

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 18,750 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,972
Posts18,539,905
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.