Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jdogg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I had a J107 and sent it back b/c the load seemed to shift excessively if there was not gun in the scaboard and just the weight of the pack contents not sitting directly on my back.

I was looking at the new Blue Widow...this new version eliminates the gun scaboard and the gap on the back. Has anyone used this pack with 50-60 lbs loads? Does it sit firmly and securely on your back and not shift around a bunch dfferently than the J107? Reviews? Thanks.

Last edited by JasonEitutis; 07/05/09.

Psalm 18:34 ->>---->
He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
GB1

Jdogg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
anyone?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Below your post on the bowsite there are some reviews. If I did not already have too many packs I would like to try it. I really liked the Just One other than that sagging affect with the scabbard.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Being relatively new to backpacking, and not having experience with the J107, take these with a grain of salt. My J109 feels stable and I've been climbing around the steep mountain side at my mom's place with about 50 pounds of gear loaded in it and have had no trouble.

John Morgan

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci
Jdogg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
have you loaded the pack down with your hunting/camping gear? Tent, slpg bag, etc...does it load well and handle camping equipment well with its different design?

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 50 pounds is camping gear. I haven't tried with the scabbard and gun mounted in yet, but I don't know that I'd notice my rifle after the weight of the camping gear. Ammo rifle most-likely will be in pouches on the hip belt next to where I laced a MOLLE pouch for two pistol magazines.

I'm a bit of a comfort camper though, which is why it's not so light. I stuff the sleeping back into the bottom of the pack followed by my Therm-a-rest pillow and extra clothes then food, cookkit and all food, fuel and whatever else fits into it. I have two 2 liter bladders in it. Rain cover and rain gear go in a side pocket along with balaclava and extra mittens in cold weather. The other pocket has my main firstaid kit in the bottom with a 10 liter Dromedary bladder on top of it, followed by water filter (Katadyn Hiker Pro), Coleman multi-fuel stove and primary survival kit. I strap my camp axe, pack saw, tent, and pad to the outside. I run the horizontal straps through the belt loops of the axe and saw. I run the vertical straps of the pack on through straps the sacs carrying my tent and pad. Both tent and pad are inside the vertical straps to keep them from swaying. The horizontal straps have nothing between them and are cinched tight to keep the pack contents from shifting side to side.

I haven't had any problems with it so far.

John Morgan

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci
Jdogg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
pretty sturdy and not shifting around everywhere? The J107 shifted the load around due to the gap caused by the gun scabbard (just my opinion)...could you see this pack being used for a 7-9 day sheep hunt?

Jdogg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
better yet, do you have any pics of it loaded? Did you get the spike camp duffel? I am deployed and won't be able to test one out. I need a pack for a backcountry cow elk and mule deer hunt upon my return from iraq...thanks again! Not sure where TNF slpg bag will fit?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I wanted my J104 to work due to it is handy and clever, but likje others with a load it was not comftorble. I really think the 109 will work nicely I would just leave the top pouch off. I need another pack like I need another hole in my head. I would like to see some pictures as well.

Good Shooting!
Jdogg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
does the top compartment latch down with straps? it appears that is does not---does it move around?

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It has buckles and the strap is hidden. It looks akward as hell allthough I have not handled the J109 most pics have it removed.

Good Shooting!
Jdogg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
in the picks I have seen it doesn't show buckles on the top compartment...it looks like it may shift around?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Jason, I thought I replied, but I don't see it here on the forum. I have a Blue Widow that I will be trying out for the first time next weekend on a scouting trip to the Eagle Caps. I'll let you know how it works for me.

The top compartment seems to be fairly stable so far. It lashes onto the top hood with straps through the PADLOCK system of the top hood. I loaded mine with a full bladder and shot my bow in the back yard just to see how all the gear worked together. No issue in the back yard, at least.

Jdogg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
thanks Shawn! I like the looks of the pack but it doesn't seem user friendly for packing sleeping bags, tents? I am used the usual backpacking packs with slpg bag compartment and the large/deep center pocket for clothing, food, spotting scope, etc. I have an Osprey Crescent but my only wish is it be a different color...something more hunting friendly. If you are able...take some pics. You can send emails to my email at birdog1falconbroadband.net.

thanks again and have a safe trip. I won't be home to CO until Nov...still stuck in Baghdad.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll have some pictures eventually. And I could have sworn I made a reply about the weight shifting. Some times this forum software makes me question my sanity. Anyway, as long as it's packed well and then all the straps are cinched down tight, it so far has stayed stable on me. The fannypack on the top lid is held on by two straps that are laced through some MOLLE webbing. So far I've only loaded it with toiletries and random small items.

John Morgan

Jdogg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
ShawnRyan - did you have a chance to get it out recently? How did the trip go and how did the pack perform? My concern is my J107 when loaded with 7-8 days worth of gear and chow for a sheep hunt would really pull back as the pack had that gap for the gun scabbard. The entire load would shift around some...has that been eliminated with this pack design?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Jason, Three more days before I can leave. I packed most of it, though. 29 pounds without water. Probably end up a little bit heavier as I add a few ounces here and there. I'm making my dog carry her own food, so I'm saving on that weight. She is not very fond of her pack; its her first time using it. I usually carry all her stuff, but I figured my other dogs carried theirs, so why shouldn't she?

Jdogg Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
are you able to pack it easily? your tent and slpg bag? where did you put them?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
With my J104/105 I could fit everything in the main compartment with the panel covering the mesh.

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Jason, my bag, pad, bivy sack, tent, plus other gear easily fits in the main compartment. The sleeping bag is a down bag that compresses pretty small, but it easily fits horizontally in the bottom of the main compartment. The pad is a Thermorest, short, lite 3, which folds in half before it is rolled up, so the final product is about an 8" long cylinder with a 3-4" diameter. The bivy is smaller than that. The tent is about a 16-18" cylinder with a 4-5" radius.

When fully opened the two vertical compartments make the whole rig much wider than I am used to, but the side pockets held substantially more than I expected. The packing was easy and the side zippers on the side compartments are a good addition to the top zippers, which completely open the top of each side compartment/tube. After I had it packed, I was surprised how easy the side zippers made the access to modify some of the gear I had already stowed.

The top compartment has miscellaneous stuff and holds it well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 163bc, 57 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,997
Posts18,499,993
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.