-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
splatter-I know the guys and the ranch and they're both excellent.

Pm me your phone # if you wish to talk about it more and I'll give you a call.

The trophy bulls is a hunt, the others is a harvest if you get the drift.

I've spoken with a couple of guys from my church about taking a buff a year out there, and letting one of the youth take out the buff. We'd have a butt load of meat to split and I just love buff burgers...note I didn't say burgers in the buff... grin

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 06/13/09.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
nice talking to you today mark, hope to maybe swing up to see you if i choose to do the above hunt.

take care and thanks again for the info..

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hurt Land and Cattle Co in the Bootheel. Not sure if their address and contact is Deming or Hatchita?

Armendariz ranch always has bison coming through the checkpoint on I-25, so it's over between Las Cruces and Alamogordo.

I also think Ted Turner's Ladder Ranch has meat hunts, but I am not sure on that one.

I will look into it for you.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I concur with all those who remarked that bison hunting, in general, isn't particularly challenging, at least not in my experience. I shot mine in January 2007 at a private ranch in Nebraska: a monstrous 10 year-old bull. I'd always wanted a big bison, and the owner of the bull telephoned me with the intelligence that he intended to ship his entire herd to a meat processor. I told him to hold off a few days, until I could drive up and harvest the old bull. I did so, and got a boat-load of meat (I'm still eating it, two years later, after having given lots of it away) and an impressive robe and shoulder mount. The point is, I didn't harvest the bull because it was sporting. I shot him because I'd always wanted a bison and, even if I'd not harvested him, the old bull had already been doomed to the slaughter house.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might contact Custer State Park in Rapid City, S. D. or Custer S.D. As I recall they have hunts that you just go and pay your money and they even process the meat for you. 30 years ago the price was very reasonable as they need some of the buff thinned anyway. Again, it is a State Park but the hunts were as legit there as on the private land in S.D.

Rolly
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
splatter-good to chat with you as well, if you get set up out here with the boyz let me know and I'll show up and help you put the cochise on a tatonka...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
thanks for all the info guys, hope more chime in with real factual places to go, maybe with web addies, or contact info.

mark,
so far the above buff place is in 1st place. so, i will let you know soon as i decide.
it'd be real cool to meet and "hunt"....
plus, i may take a tour of the old haunts in great falls, where i lived once upon a time...

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Monte fastnacht lamontbuffalo.com

folsomoutfitters.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Custer State Park, you won't have to pay for a guide or outfitter, only the animal you have a license for. One of the park rangers used to go along to "supervise" but it is about as much as a DIY hunt as you can get. I would think you could make arrangements to shoot whatever you want, cow, bull, whatever.

All you need to do is look up their phone number and give 'em a call. I don't know if they have a web site or not. You'd fly into Rapid City, S.D. Stay in a motel and go hunting.
They used to have an orientation that you have to attend. Can't get much simpler.

Last edited by Rolly; 06/17/09.

Rolly
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by splattermatic
www.montanahuntingcompany.com

looking at all options to get the most bang for my buck.
at around 900 bucks for a yearling meat bison @700-800 lbs, doesn't seem too bad for a cool "hunt" for something different than deer or elk,etc...
figure around 200 to 250 lbs of processed meat, and a nice rug.

am i carzy ?

In checking Neb and SD that price is in the ball park of $900-$1500 (the latter includes a heffer, not a bull, complete butchering and packaging). The Neb outfit tells me a big heffer will give you 300 lbs. of meat.

I wouldn't categorize it as hunting by any stretch and am looking at it as strictly a meat getting affair using a Chapuis double rifle in 9.3x74R with open sights for kicks.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
got an email back.
a yearling is 695, and a cow is 850.

so it's looking better and better.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
talked to lamonte buffalo hunting down near albq today.

the price for a 1k pound or better cow is 1500 bucks.
they only take about 50 a year out of their ranch of only a border fence of 5,000 acres.
taking a buffalo here is like real hunting, no 40 acre pasture and a chip shot.
the lady said to plan on 2 days, just in case, things don't go too well..

so this now has moved to the top of th list. monte is supposed to call me the first part of the week.

i'd like a smaller yearling, as my freezer's are big enough to handle that much, plus possibly 2 elk, and 4 antelope.

i told her i'd like to go in january, and she that would be fine.

so here we go, hunting a buffalo on 5,000 acres of wide open high desert country.

she said that their meat supplies sante fe resturants, and they also sell at the farmers market on weekends. they suppliment the natural feed with grains,and hay, just like cattle.

she guarentee's it tastes great.

woohoo !!
i think i'll use my 338 rum...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I drew a once in a lifetime wild buff tag in the Henry Mountains of Utah, near Lake Powell. It was by far the hardest hunt I have ever been on. The buff HATE humans and dig into the high pine covered mountains like ticks! They are really spooky and dang hard to locate. They have a 65% success rate on them, due to most people coming unprepared to actually hunt. They bring their 4 wheelers and ride the roads. You gotta get off and track them. I shot mine at 523 yards at 8,500 feet with a .30-06. I couldn't get closer. The buff rolled nearly 100 yards down hill before getting wrapped up in a big pine tree. I have a couple of close friends that have done the ranch "hunts". They were both hauled out into the middle of the herd on tractors, shot the buffs at maybe 20 yards. The tractor picked them up and brought them back to the skinning shed. Not a hunt, but some great meat!Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i look at it several ways.

if it's a 20 yard shot so be it, if on the 5k acres, it's a hunt, so be it. anyway i look at it, if, successful, we're gonna have a lot of great meat in the freezer.

bottom line.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sounds great to me. Please keep us updated on how things turn out. I've wanted to take a buffalo for a long time. I thought it would be a great experience for my young son and I to share. I don't care to get one mounted, though a rug sounds nice, and I would love a freezer full of great meat.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
will do,
i am going to call again tomm. i want a yearling as i don't want to buy another freezer. it should yield about 200 to 300 pounds of meat.

i still might need one tho...

B
B
One thing to keep in mind as you price buffalo hunts is the fact that the market has slowley rebounded from the poor prices of a few years ago. (Thank God) I sold a load of yearling bulls to a guy in Cheyenne a month ago and got $1.30 on an average weight of 880 lbs. This is an average of about $1170. Cows will average somewhere around $700-800 if you just sell them to a processor in Rapid city or Denver. Big bulls can be $1500 or more for slaughter right now. The days of really cheap buffalo hunts are hopefully coming to an end.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I book Bison hunts in So. Dakota on a big 50,000 plus acre ranch, and its as fair chase as a Bison hunt can be..Bison are not the worlds brightest game animal IMO, but the meat is outstanding fair and there is a lot of it on a young bull one fo the old bulls I shot packaged out almost 900 lbs and was delicious. this is the ranch where most all of Dances with Wolves was filmed, and the officers house is still there.

A guided hunt for trophy bulls is $2500
A trophy meat hunt (younger but big bull) is $2200.
A meat hunt is a prime meat hunt (heifer or steer) $1800

Deer, Antelope, Pheasants, fishing, and varmints can also be hunted at very reasonable rates and can be combined with Bison hunts.

For more detail contact me at the below email..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

at around 900 bucks for a yearling meat bison @700-800 lbs, doesn't seem too bad for a cool "hunt" for something different than deer or elk,etc...

am i carzy ?

Been succesful in northern B.C.Never hunted a on farm though.Well guess pink mountian is kinda a farm.Lots of critters.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

am i carzy ?

Another option that may be a bit closer...north of Lusk WY

http://www.silversagebison.com/index.html

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,092
Posts18,501,957
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.