Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm 60 and I grew up in Boise. We never did very well hunting elk in the Idaho city area, but it's true that the wolves are hitting it hard.
I think an upcoming area for elk that the wolves haven't found yet is the stretch along the NV border between units 46 and 55. I've seen a lot of them in 54 especially. There are quite a few of them in there now but it's too easy to hunt so they have to keep it tightly controlled to avoid a slaughter. Tags are VERY hard to draw.
There's a lot of private land in there and the ranchers are fighting hard to keep the elk out but it's a natural migration north out of NV.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

R
R
68W I live in Howe, the elk wont be hard to find that time of the year. Glass some of the bars at the base of the mountains in the mornings and you should find them. They are hitting alot of the fields and hay stacks that time of year so they will be heading back to the mountains at first light.

Most people around here will help you out if you ask and are respectful. Please respect peoples property and don't trespass, we have had a rash of that the last few years.

There are more wolves in the valley than everyone would like. We lost one calf a few months ago and the neighbor has lost three. So buy a wolf tag please!! Maybe you will be lucky enough to see one, I can't.

Who are your cousins Montanaborn?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Rockchuck

I am also 60 and also grew up and was born in Boise.I said Idaho City as an area but we hunted Crooked River from the end of the road at that time and packed back into Bear Creek and Bear River mostly.When logging the area later in life,I was surprised there was a road through our old territory from Deer Park.I saw Elk on almost every trip working.

We parked at the end of the road we called the sheep corrals..That whole area was Elk rich and as a group,we never were skunked even using mostly .270's with an occasional '06 grin

Several people took Elk off of Shaffer Butte the backside of Bogus including some friends of mine and my dad..Minnieow(Sp) creek on the way to Idaho City and the North Fork/Rabbit Creek were also great spots near Idaho City as well as Deer Park on up.

Truth be told Queens River/Black Warrior and the Atlanta areas were my favorites as I grew older with my own horses.

Jayco

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
ross220

PM sent regarding answers to your guestion asked of Montanaborn.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ross220
68W I live in Howe, the elk wont be hard to find that time of the year. Glass some of the bars at the base of the mountains in the mornings and you should find them. They are hitting alot of the fields and hay stacks that time of year so they will be heading back to the mountains at first light.

Most people around here will help you out if you ask and are respectful. Please respect peoples property and don't trespass, we have had a rash of that the last few years.

There are more wolves in the valley than everyone would like. We lost one calf a few months ago and the neighbor has lost three. So buy a wolf tag please!! Maybe you will be lucky enough to see one, I can't.

Ross220, thanks for the info. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, with our new baby my internet time has been cut way back, its worth it tho. Those are encouraging words on the elk, I look forward to a high chance of success, I like to fill the freezer. About the wolf tag...are they over the counter or a draw system, have they figured out how they want to manage that yet? I'd be for it if it isn't too expensive and the season coincided with the elk hunt in December. Why cant you get a tag for wolves?

I won't make it up to the area for a look-see until I have a long weekend from school in mid-October. But maybe we could find a way for you to point me in the right direction when that time comes, even if it was just a map-scouting session on the hood of the vehicle. Thanks for the help.

68W

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ross220
68W I live in Howe, the elk wont be hard to find that time of the year.
Who are your cousins Montanaborn?

ross220: go to 'My Stuff' at the top of the page and check your personal messages.

One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an a__hole." - Demetri Martin

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a cow tag for unit 54, private land hunt..behind Oakley this year.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a cow tag for unit 54, private land hunt..behind Oakley this year. I should get one the first day I think, but you never know.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 257 roberts, 300jimmy, 35, 27 invisible), 1,926 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,539
Posts18,531,113
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.