Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 24 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 23 24
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
They sure make my day to day hunt more comfy. If you spend a night it might as well be comfy.

On Oregon's North Coast in late elk season you can have some serious problems getting a fire going.

The fixed blade is king of course. I like a Gator S30V Drop point.

A one lb Estwing hatchet, a fixed blade 4" knife and a folding

saw will do me for most situations.

The little Estwing or Kershaw hatchet is sweet for skinning too.

Kind of like an ULU.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
On the subject of starting a fire, I had a thought after I disassembled an old grill. Always save parts to things that may be useful later.

I took out the ignition plunger, and notived it had two wires coming from it. Get the wires close and it sparked (also provided a shock if held). Hmmm. Some fuels only require a spark - gases like butane and propane and perhaps a source less volatile. I am going to see how it works with something like vaseline and cotton balls. IF it does, it is a light and pretty cheap ignition source. Actually found one that has a piezo igniter and is made for stand alone use: http://www.irawoods.com/Maverick-BL-02-Piezo-BBQ-Safety-Igniter. If nothing else, it is a lightweight backup.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
just a few things i carry.

matches/lighter
2 fusees
fold up saw
multitool
folding knife
space blanket
gps
compass
fleece jacket

S
S
"If 2 decent butane lighter go south at the same time, your luck already ran out before you stepped foot into the woods."

I Kinda hafta agree on that as well. Although, I still keep a small waterproof butane Bullet-Lighter. Like a small silver pill on a key chain. 7 bucks on ebay.Peace of mind.Lets face it..the conditions that will destroy one lighter, will also destroy the other.. Thats why paranoia is so useful...I might be paranoid, But Im always ready..:)

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Would a road flare work?

Jeff

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
My pack is similar to others but one item I have added to my kit is packets of powdered Gatorade. Add to warm water and it works great for combatting Hypothermia. It doesn't act as a diuretic like coffee or tea and the sugar will give you a boost.
Also I would like to suggest that all posters take a Wilderness First Aid course if they haven't had any military training. The Boy Scouts now require having at least one trained leader on any backcountry trip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Green Bag-O-Survival aka GBOS. laugh

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Would a road flare work?

Jeff

like a champ

I have saddle bags on 4 of my 7 snowmachines, there's one in ever sled that has bags, oughta toss one in the back compartment of the ones that don't have bags.

but I don't take on bp hunting, just doesn't make weight for my needs and the rare times I'd really need it.

but winter, danger of going through overflow and needing to get a fire started PDQ hard to beat it ime

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow but, I can tell you, the number one way to help prevent a cold wet night if you're stuck out there somewhere and find it best to batten down the hatches and stick it out overnight is ....

... with a poncho and poncho liner, a big knife and some good fire-starting material and some knowledge in your head.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was thinking about this topic the other night. Not even thinking about a cold, wet night but just a night, alone in the wilderness that you didn't plan on having.

I truly believe that the mental portion is a HUGE key. Most of us could walk out into the wilderness with little or no supplies and be fine for a couple of days. We would be prepared, mentally for the challenge. On the same hand, many of those same folks, even ones with survival gear and even knowledge, would have a much more difficlult time spending those couple of days in the wilderness when it is unplanned.
I just wonder how many people become frantic with just the thought of being lost or just having the possibility of being stranded somewhere overnight? (will it be a few hours? a day? A few days? a week? You just may not know)
I believe that if you can get past the mental part of being lost or simply stranded, you will be so much better at coping with a "cold and wet" night.

Good info in this thread so far and a few things that I might not have thought about before. One of the many reasons I love this site!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My mental problem is worrying about the folks who are worrying about me!
(BTDT, by the way.)

I've little concern about myself being stuck out; during most of my hunting I'm pretty well supplied for it, and mentally I'm prepared -even expecting it, sometimes.
The things that gnaw in the back of my head concern the huntin' buddies who're left in the dark, entertaining their imaginations with all the dire things that might have happened to me. Their exertions to find me would be so much greater, so much more frantic and exhausting, than what I'd need to do to make it through the night.
I'd be huddled out of the rain under my tarp; they'd get soaked while searching the hills.
I'd have a cozy fire at my knees; they'd be shivering in the rain and their own sweat.
I'd be calm in my own confidence; they'd be nervous wrecks of anxiety.
I'd get a poor night's sleep; they'd exhaust themselves in the search and then stay awake in worry.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Can you skin Griz?
[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Macrabbit, I hear what you are saying, but I had hunt go south 1 year and was out alone. Went for pack boards while 2 guys took care of a spike elk. When I got back to the elk they were gone and the elk was hung to cool, but it was 10 pm.
Thought about spending the night by the elk, and wait for them to return the next morning. But I figured they would be concerned and looking for me so I hiked back out. When I got back to base camp all were asleep with their teddy's. They didn't worry abit because they knew my skill level. My son said he figured I had bivy'd for the night.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too many of my hunting buddies are fairly high strung; they'd worry & scramble no matter their confidence in me.
Two I can think of, offhand, would be more calm about it. They'd both move Heaven and Earth for me if they thought it'd do any good, but their running around would be like chickens who still had their heads. And they'd probably give me some time to work it out myself.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SCRooster
I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow but, I can tell you, the number one way to help prevent a cold wet night if you're stuck out there somewhere and find it best to batten down the hatches and stick it out overnight is ....

... with a poncho and poncho liner, a big knife and some good fire-starting material and some knowledge in your head.

The Poncho Liner! Little Known wonder. Not to be had when I was in, but my Baby Brother (by 6 years) was in the 82nd and got one for my daughter years ago. She is 33 now but it goes where she goes. College, Africa twice, Europe.........

I was a single dad and we backpacked a lot. North Face was favored. I have a liner now also.

My brother NEVER took his sleeping bag in the Army, Poncho And Liner. Made room for other stuff.

I would add some food, but the Knowledge in Head covers that I guess.

I have had a GOOD butane torch, more than a lighter, for 25(?) years, $40 dollars then, and worth it.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 05/27/10.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
BTDT. Assuming you are reasonably emergency prepared, (and especially if you are not!) the first thing you have to overcome is panic- the need to "do something" - to "get out" or to find a point of reference. That feeling working its way up from the pit of one's stomach is - or often can be - overpowering from the reports of lost (mostly dead) participants. I've experienced it. "Don't Panic" is the first rule. It isn't easy. Whatever your resources, don't push dark- start "camping" early - find shelter, wood, water if needed and "make camp" A fire is an amazingly comfortable thing- and drinking mere hot water can help ward off hypothermia.

I've spent several unplanned nights "out" - not knowing exactly where I was - but knowing enough to stay put, build a fire, get into the best shelter possible, etc. until daylight so I could figure out where I was, or, if knowing where I was, to move safely again.

"Don't Panic" ... Easier said than done - but after a few times, it almost becomes a comfort zone- I say this in what you might think kiddingly fashion- but I've gotten myself lost quite a bit over the years! Meaning I didn't know where I was, but knew how to get out of there. Then there is Lost which I've managed by a bit of "creative navigation" to find a reference point. This is not to be confused with haring off willy-nilly in hopes of "finding something recognizable". Exactly.... "Lost" (first letter capatalized) just doesn't worry me that much anymore - the next step is LOST, which I've never utilized, but have come to terms with, if needed. But don't be an idiot either- do the things you should be doing within your means- Basic survival gear, GPS, cell phones, a Sat. phone, PLD, etc are not just for wusses- if you can afford AND USE them. All are mere appendages to the basic map and compass and basic survival gear for the circumstances (it varies). LOST (all cap letters) IS WHERE YOU SIT DOWN AND WAIT FOR SOMEONE TO COME FIND YOU. I've yet to achieve this - but I ain't proud- if I need to, I will.

I carry 2 or 3 compasses - after 30 years of the practice, I actually had 2 compasses go south on me in the same year- the first time it had ever happened - but have been known to lose the primary compass at times somewhere along the line... Do NOT depend on the fancy crap (electronics fail- magnetizem endures!), but do know how to use them over and above basic navigation/survival skills and prep. if the need arises. Anything over basic map and compass, IMHO, falls into the "convenience" category.... Valuable, but not to be fully trusted when the chit hits the fan- I've twice had GPS units fail me when I most needed them. The antanae once, "rollover" at the satellite another second time.

The second thing you (or I, at least) have to fight is embarrassment - no one wants the rescue teams out after you. Once, for me- if you count the lone trooper that came out checking my rig after a misunderstanding with my wife- i.e. WRITE down your plans! An acquaintaince with whom I'd gotten lost the year before told the trooper at the trailhead not to worry- "He's either dead, or he'll make it out on his own. Or he'll build a fire for the rescue helicopter in a day or so." Is that a vote of confidence, or what? smile I was just a might delayed packing moose meat- the part of the contingency plan the wife hadn't mentally registered when I merely TOLD it to her.... so write it down!

The third thing (2nd and 3rd may be switchable) is the worry of loved ones.

Well, screw # 2 and #3- your job is to survive! So pay attention to #1!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Some good survival products offered by Ultimate Survival Technologies especially their Wetfire fire starter.

Another great firestarter: Weber Firestarter Cubes

MtnHtr

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Of course- when you go thru the overflow in the Arctic, with the nearest willow miles away, you might want to rethink the fire-starter bit.... smile

A full set of extra clothes in a dry bag on the sled behind the snowmachine beats a BIC! If you can get to it.

BTDT

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
G
In the CA hills I take a med kit, firestarter sticks, emergency blanket and a good knife. No need for much more. Maybe a power bar or two.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Glassman... You have been I.D'd as a scammer... http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4405786/1
What say you???
There is also a "Part Two" now in the classifieds...
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...410787/Scam_artist_chapter_2#Post4410787

Page 14 of 24 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.