Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hey gang,

Wondering which PH's you've been with and like over in Namib? And what is the name of their companies?

Thx 4 your time!

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 07/10/09.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zingela Safaris aka Gras Southern Namibia
Jannie Spangenberg
Errol Lambrechts
Bollie Liebenberg

Makalaan Safaris North-Eastern Namibia
Antoine Louw

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dober..PM sent..
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thx guyz

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mare VanDer Merwe
african twilight safaris

Life is life and fun is fun but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.
Bror Blixen
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Three of us hunted with Johann Veldsman of Shona Adventures, rate him and the operation highly. PM me if you want some photos

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Vaughan Fulton

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My trip to Namibia was 10 years ago. I booked a hunt with Jan Oelofse, for plains game.
His PH's were great, very helpful and knowledgeable. Mr. Oelofse's operation, however, left some things to be desired.
I had nyala on my list of things I wanted to hunt. Upon arriving, however, I was told that they did not have nyala in huntable numbers, and to hunt what they had would have to be on 'special arrangement'.
They were also beginning to cater to the non-hunting, photo tour crowd. We had a less than pleasant encounter with those folks, during the hunt.
I booked the hunt thru Jack Atcheson. The travel agent they used managed to screw up our travel arrangements big time- we ended up making our own travel arrangements to fly home.
I personally would look elsewhere, from the standpoint of using Oelofse, and Atcheson.
BTW- Vaughan Fulton was the PH we hunted with. He is a great guy, we really enjoyed hunting with him. I believe he has moved on from Oelofse, don't know where he is now.

Last edited by Bighorn; 07/12/09.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've hunted with Vaughan four times and can't recommend him highly enough.

His website is fultonclassicsafaris.com

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
L
L
mark i would recommend horabe hunting safaris in namibia,i have hunted with pieter three times and taken 3 kudu 3 eland 1 warthog and many other quality animals. that is my warthog and eland on his photo gallery. i would also recommend an extra day or two in etosha park you will not be sorry, and a day on the okavonga tiger fishing. i would also recommend caspers taxidermy in grootfontein for your taxidermy work,absolutely perfect result for me.good hunting loy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thx guyz for all the thoughts and comments and Loy welcome to the Fire.

I wouldn't mind doing some fly fishing while I was there. How about birds, anything to bother in Namib?

Thx
Dober

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
How about birds, anything to bother in Namib?

Birds are in abundance, and fun to stalk with a .22LR

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I could see bringing a Drilling and a bolt on safari.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

I wouldn't mind doing some fly fishing while I was there. How about birds, anything to bother in Namib?

Thx
Dober

Dober, only real flyfishing in Namibia is in the Caprivi on the Chobe for 5 lb. Tiger fish....and it requires quite a side trip..
Birds are everywhere, Four types of doves, Guineas, Three types of Sand Grouse, Francolins in some spots.....JB and Eileen took shotty-guns when they went with me and had a ball shooting Sand Grouse
[Linked Image]
The only bird shooting Ive done over there was to be-head a couple guineas with my .375..
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
L
mark my son tburkes posted some pictures of my last two trips to africa on 6/20/09 on the fire here, he just hung them in his office temp in houston, the kudu and eland was from horabe a couple of years back the rest are from s. africa, i have my warthog from horabe on the way as we speak it measured 13 1/4" on the left and 14" on the right, the eland in this picture was young but still had a weight of around 1600 pounds, the eland in that area are big, pieter told me when i was there last aug his neighbor shot one just for his meat and looks to be the new world record when cured and measured, green it was over 47" and these are not lord derbys. the eland you can see on horabe hunting safaris photo gallery was my son tony and pieter and this one was around 1900# taken in 2005. good hunting loy

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by loyburkes
mark my son tburkes posted some pictures of my last two trips to africa on 6/20/09 on the fire here, he just hung them in his office temp in houston, the kudu and eland was from horabe a couple of years back the rest are from s. africa, i have my warthog from horabe on the way as we speak it measured 13 1/4" on the left and 14" on the right, the eland in this picture was young but still had a weight of around 1600 pounds, the eland in that area are big, pieter told me when i was there last aug his neighbor shot one just for his meat and looks to be the new world record when cured and measured, green it was over 47" and these are not lord derbys. the eland you can see on horabe hunting safaris photo gallery was my son tony and pieter and this one was around 1900# taken in 2005. good hunting loy

Ive hunted also near Grootfontien(Gauss,Askevold),they have been hit pretty hard in that area with rabies in the Kudu.Talked to PH last week and #'s will be down for a while.Check to make sure you have realistic expectations....

But the Eland are tremendous in that part on Namibia.....

[Linked Image]

Dinsdale

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dober, I have been to the same place as Ingwe and JB in Namib but only once. I'm sure Ingwe filled you in.

Last edited by goodnews; 07/19/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bighorn
My trip to Namibia was 10 years ago. I booked a hunt with Jan Oelofse, for plains game.
His PH's were great, very helpful and knowledgeable. Mr. Oelofse's operation, however, left some things to be desired.
I had nyala on my list of things I wanted to hunt. Upon arriving, however, I was told that they did not have nyala in huntable numbers, and to hunt what they had would have to be on 'special arrangement'.
They were also beginning to cater to the non-hunting, photo tour crowd. We had a less than pleasant encounter with those folks, during the hunt.
I booked the hunt thru Jack Atcheson. The travel agent they used managed to screw up our travel arrangements big time- we ended up making our own travel arrangements to fly home.
I personally would look elsewhere, from the standpoint of using Oelofse, and Atcheson.
BTW- Vaughan Fulton was the PH we hunted with. He is a great guy, we really enjoyed hunting with him. I believe he has moved on from Oelofse, don't know where he is now.

If IIRC Atchesons are using Eden Safaris or something akin to that as of the last few years.

Mark, the Caprivi is a more tropical projection of usually dry Namib (in winter) penetrating the continent from the NE corner of Namib. There is a major river system there and dangerous game. It borders Botswana and the Okavango to the south. There are some buff there and also ele and maybe lion too.

Last edited by goodnews; 07/19/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have hunted with Karl Stumpfe, Ndumo Safaris twice. There may be some that are as good, but none better.

josh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dinsdale
Originally Posted by loyburkes

Ive hunted also near Grootfontien(Gauss,Askevold),they have been hit pretty hard in that area with rabies in the Kudu.Talked to PH last week and #'s will be down for a while.Check to make sure you have realistic expectations....

But the Eland are tremendous in that part on Namibia.....

[Linked Image]

Dinsdale

Now that is a big lope!

Dober

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 41 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.