-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Henderson KO to Bisbing will live on forever in UFC highlights-that was worth more than words can describe.
I especially liked Henderson's post fight interview with Rogan when asked if he thought the hit after Bisbing hit the mat was necessary, Henderson said "he wouldn't typically do that but he wanted to shut him up for a little while longer" or something like that.
GSP's domination overs Alves makes one wonder if he will ever be unseated, atleast until he is over the hill. Although Fitch may be able to pull out an upset at their next meeting, who knows maybe there will be a Sera/GSp rematch and Sera could get lucky again.

Great PPV

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LAS VEGAS � So Brock Lesnar, in the parlance of pro wrestling, had gone straight heel.

After bludgeoning Frank Mir to retain the Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight championship at the hyped UFC 100, the former pro wrestling star decided to put on a real show.

Lesnar ran around the octagon flipping off the Mandalay Bay Events Center crowd with both middle fingers. He shouted at Mir as the challenger sat on a stool trying to regain his equilibrium. Mir stood up and they went sort of nose-to-broken nose before Lesnar cackled with laughter.

In the post-fight interview, Lesnar encouraged the booing fans to �keep going� before continuing to taunt Mir.

Anything for the children at home, big guy?

�Hell, I might even get on top of my wife tonight.�

With his clown-show antics, Brock Lesnar just became the greatest villain in modern fighting. From refusing to tap gloves prefight in a sportsmanlike ritual to this over-the-top rant that came right out of the silly wrestling circus.

�Straight WWE,� said a stunned Dana White, the president of the UFC. �Brock went so far over the top tonight I can�t even describe it. I don�t think in the history of the UFC we�ve ever done anything like that.�

Postfight, White pushed his way into Lesnar�s crowded locker room and took the big guy into the bathroom for a private �discussion.� Lesnar himself described it as �a whip-the-dog session.�

The greatest beneficiary of each Lesnar snarl, however, lives in Stary Oskol, Russia, a man named Fedor Emelianenko who is considered the No. 1 heavyweight (if not pound-for-pound fighter) in the world. If anyone has the knockout power to stop the 6-3, 265-pound Lesnar, it�s Emelianenko.

Fedor doesn�t fight in the UFC though. He�s with its rival promotion, Affliction. He�ll fight Aug. 1 in Anaheim, Calif., in what is the last match of his contract. Affliction is hoping to re-sign him until 2012, but the UFC will come hard after him. More now then ever. And that means money, big money.

�Eventually Fedor is going to be here,� White said. �I want Fedor. We�ll end up getting that deal done and then we�ll do Brock vs. Fedor and we�ll do a huge fight.�

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dw-lesnar071209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People trying to stick up for Lesnar's post fight antic's are either WWF fans or they are new to the sport.There is no place for that in mixed martial arts.One of the principals this sport is founded on is that no matter how bad the pre-fight trash talk,no matter how brutal the fight,the fighters are always classy to each other afterwards and show each other a lot of respect.

For example,look at two classic examples-Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg and Hughes vs. Matt Serra.In both cases,the trash talk made Lesnar vs. Mir look very tame-Trigg went so far as to say he had slept with Hughes' wife before they were married.In both instances-actually three,since there was a rematch with Trigg-after all was said and done,the fighters were classy and respectful to each other in the cage.Even after the Trigg rematch,a fight in which Trigg kneed Hughes in the jewels intentionaly and nearly won due to it,Hughes and Trigg smiled at each other and hugged.

The closest thing to what Lesnar did was Tito Ortiz's old bit-the whole gravedigger thing and the offensive T-shirts and all that.But with the exception of the second Ken Shamrock fight (which was a clusterf*ck to begin with),Tito always went up to his opponent afterwards and checked on them,shook hands and all of that.Tito never even bashed a sponsor,which is shocking in retrospect.

What Lesnar did was so beyond the pale that it left me with my jaw dropped,and I've seen just about every type of post fight celebration.First of all,you never get into the face of a fighter who is just comming back to their senses-the athletic commision might suspend him or fine him for that.Second,you never ever bash the promotion's sponsor.That sponsor pays your boss millions of dollars,and he in turn pays you.And third,you never bash the fans.Tim Sylvia did that and it made him a pariah inside of two fights.

IMO,Lesnar did it because he thought he could get away with it.Compare his behavior last night to his behavior after the Randy Couture fight.After the fight with Randy,he was gracious,hugged Randy,said nice things about him,apologized for comming off as being arrogant,and overall seemed like a nice guy.Now,if he had pulled the same antics he did last nite after the Randy fight,he would have never made it out of the arena alive.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
WCB:

What Lesnar did is what he did.

Fedor will have to restrain him, no one else.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

In GSP's defense, however, I think Alves blocking more of the takedowns is easier said then done.

Alves' fighting style just doesn't lend itself to making that easy.

He is a striker by nature which means that his success depends heavily on closing the distance and engaging his opponent.

And when he does that, he makes himself more vulnable to GSP dropping down and going for the takedown.

You make my points for me. . . . . . grin

GSP is looking more and more like THE complete fighter.

Alves, probably had a 15 pound advantage of solid muscle, yet GSP threw him around like a rag doll.

The fight spoke volumes . . . .

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B2

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh, By the way . . . .

GSP fought with a serious pulled Groin from the 3rd round and still dominated from beginning to end.

BMT

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not actually sticking up for Lesnar, but these guys are warriors. If they are also civil, great, but I won't demand civility from a fighter, just a great fight. To each his own.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Since when does anyone associate "class" with the UFC? Look at the leader, Dana White (sp?) He's a POS himself.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Since when does anyone associate "class" with the UFC? Look at the leader, Dana White (sp?) He's a POS himself.

+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't dispute the dissing of the sponsors-that was uncalled for, but these guys get paid to go out and beat the living crap out of each other to entertain the audience, and they're expected to show class? What am I missing here? Yeah-it's real classy to kick the snot out of a guy for a paycheck, ain't it? The "class" they show before the fights, and after for that matter isn't very far removed from the "product" WWE puts on the mat every week-they just make more money doing it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
So fighters are a different kind of person who shouldn't act civil or show some class? Are they not capable of it, or just not required to do it? What about soldiers? They aren't in risk of getting beat up, they fight for their lives. What about athletes in general? I bet hockey and football players often take more of a beating than some of the fighters. Some fights last less than a minute compared to a 60 minute game.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I guess it comes from training in an MMA gym and the fact that my best friend just signed to coach on a televised show. I do expect them to act like professionals.

My pard corners a few fighters (obviously not at the Pride/UFC level) and he would school them if they acted like that.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tony270WSM,

Well stated. Perhaps the folks who think someone of any particular trade should not display class don't understand civility. Should the opponents of a debate be discussting after the debate because they brought different views to the disccussion?

The dumbing down of America is working.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW:

"The Freak of Nature" is a WWF product and acted like it last night.

He was properly apologetic at the news conference and appears to understand what side of the bread is buttered.

We'll see how he acts next time out.

BMT

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Didn't say they SHOULD NOT be civil, but rather, I understand when they are not. After numerous failures in real life by athletes, actors, etc, we obviously expect too much of them. Every now and then, a good one comes along, and they stand out. Lou Gehrig comes to mind. A class act all the way. Most people are not up to the task of fulfilling our dreams.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by tacgnut
The Henderson KO to Bisbing will live on forever in UFC highlights-that was worth more than words can describe.
I especially liked Henderson's post fight interview with Rogan when asked if he thought the hit after Bisbing hit the mat was necessary, Henderson said "he wouldn't typically do that but he wanted to shut him up for a little while longer" or something like that.

The KO was outstanding but the hit he put on Bisbing after Bisbing had hit the mat was WAY beyond a cheap shot and could've killed the guy. VERY poor form IMO......

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
UFC's lame. Judo and boxing are just awful. Muay Thai's alright, but I don't see a lot of fighters using it. Krav maga's incredible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BMT
FWIW:

"The Freak of Nature" is a WWF product and acted like it last night.

He was properly apologetic at the news conference and appears to understand what side of the bread is buttered.

We'll see how he acts next time out.

BMT

You bring up my basic concern. I want to watch the UFC- not the WWF.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
UFC's lame. Judo and boxing are just awful. Muay Thai's alright, but I don't see a lot of fighters using it. Krav maga's incredible.

Dude.....

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner

Dude.....

Yes?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 1234, 59 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,229
Posts18,524,760
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.