Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JRaw Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
So I've been breaking in a pair of Lowa Hunters (Schee's edition). The initial fit has been pretty good, not perfect but at a size 12.5 they were the best I've found (and I've tried almost all, so please don't give the advice to "get boots that fit" - I know, I know, and I've spent more $$$ on postage than most people have spent on boots!

Anyway, on to the question. Boots are breaking in fine on level and moderate terrain. On steep terrain, the leather is folding on the top of my foot, where the top of the foot meets the bottom of my ankle, slightly to the outside of the foot. Am I describing the area well? Seated, curl your toes back toward your body, and reach down with your left hand and touch your left foot where it meets the ankle; not right on top but slightly to the left. The fold in the leather causes quite a bit of pain.

Any fixes? Do they just need more break-in? Is there a lacing technique that can prevent this?

I'm at T-29 days until the plane flies off into the distance, and thinking about reverting to my 10 year old Sportivas (if La Sportiva made a comparable boot in GTX, on the same last as my current boots, I'd be wearing it now).

Thanks for any advice!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm just starting to "break in" a pair of Hanwags, custom fitted by Lathrop and Sons, and I must say, no BS, I've never had a pair of boots fit so well from the get-go.

Also, initial quality looks great ... easily on par with my Meindl.

I cannot opine any further, because I have a LOT of hunting and hiking to do in them before I would venture a solid opinion, but as to FIT, I couldn't be happier.

It's 90 degrees and I'm in shorts, but I'm going to put them on now. wink

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
JRaw,

You might try some Obenaufs on your boots. It WILL make your boots softer, which will most likely provide a great deal of relief to your current situation.

The potential downside to using Obenaufs, is that it could lead to the leather stretching and the boot potentially becoming "sloppy" down the road.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
JRaw Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Dave, that's not a bad idea...I might put some conditioner on the upper uppers (the ankle and above part of the boot) but not on the lower part of the boot that covers my foot, as I don't want the leather to stretch there.

John

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Sounds like a good comprimise John. Let me know how it works out, and I may try the same with my new Kenetrek Hardscrabbles.

Then again, they fit so well I might leave well enough alone. Best of luck.

Dave

Last edited by dwc5050; 07/10/09.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'm on my second pair of Lowas. Love em. Both put a little pressure in the the area I think you are describing. Skipping the closest eyelet (first open hook) while lacing eliminated the pressure and did not reduce support. Mine wasn't a break in issue cause my "retired" now muck duty pair does it still if I lace em all. Other than that, I wore my second pair pretty much out of the box on a backpack hunt.

Jim

L
L
"Skipping the closest eyelet (first open hook) while lacing eliminated the pressure and did not reduce support."

JRaw,

What jimboshrmp said, and I quoted above, is exactly what I would do in your case. The Obenauf's would not be a bad idea anyhow as I believe there would be no downside to trying it out.

Dusty

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Oh sorry, forgot the second half of the fix...First you need a large sewing needle, duct tape, and 2 maxi-pads...

Good Luck
Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim,
I think you could repair a space shuttle with the above mentioned gear! laugh
At the very least, you could get a compound fracture or a ruptured aorta in from the field!
Don

Last edited by docdb; 07/13/09.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been enduring a long break in period with a new pair of Lowa Tibets. I do have "problem" feet but this has been quite the process. One of the biggest issues here in Canada is a lack of access to quality hiking boots (ie Meindl, Lowa, Kennetrek, Hanwag etc...). Mail order tends to be one of our only options. Some people are lucky enough to wear boots straight out of the box, but for me personally it always seems to be a bit of a process - this just has been worse than normal it seems.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 07/13/09.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (10ring1, 160user, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 28 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,712
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.