Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
He shoots plenty and he is correct no broad tunes well over 260 fps. It does not mean you can not hit the same spot with both broad heads and field points it is just more difficult at higher speeds than 260.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Never said he didn't shoot plenty. Also never said I had anything against expandable broadheads. I just don't care for broad generalizations implying you can't get fixed blades to tune properly if your shooting over 260fps.

Maybe it is more difficult, although with 3 different personal bows, two brands of broadheads, and 4 other bows belonging to close friends, we've never had a problem getting them to shoot true with minor adjustments (somtimes no adjustments were even needed). Maybe we've been the exception rather than the rule...

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IMHO anyone that shoots expandables just hasn't shot them long enough to have a disaster....

That being said Flinch hit the nail on the head, you tune for and shoot broadheads, thats what you hunt with, then I accept whatever field points do.

Anything else doesn't make much sense to me at all. Simply think about what you do with firearms and it translates.

Anyone that can't tune a good fixed blade head has either some equipment issues or tuning issues.

To top all that off, I'm still of the opinion that speed is not the end all to archery... I doubt my bow shoots over 250 if that much and its killed about everything I've pointed it towards. That being said I had a 300 fps bow once... and shot Zwickey 4 blade Deltas from it. If that can tune, then I'd think about anything could tune.

Hope I"m never talked into trying expandables again.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I liken it to guys that want their varmint bullets in their big game rifles to shoot to the same point of aim as their big game bullets. Uggg....makes no sense what so ever. It's nice when it happens, but spending days and weeks tuning is very counter productive. I can't remember the last time I shot field points. My bow is always sited in and ready to go with broadheads. If a rabbit, grouse, coyote runs across the back yard, he gets a broadhead in the gizzard. ;o) Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I started bow hunting in 1985 or thereabouts, expandables were not legal here. I shot them in Connecticut though starting about 3 years later. For many years, I had two sights for my bows: everyone who shot 3D's and hunted did. My best friend, a sponsored shooter for Darton, and maybe the best shot I've ever seen and I went to Fish and Game public meetings and lobbied for legalizing expandables here. The deer biologist Lori Gibson (I am a certified wildlife biologist and applied for the job myself) felt that they were not reliable. The early ones, like Puckett's blood trailers (guess what my last name is) weren't that sturdy. Wasps, Spitfires, Satellites, Shockwaves, Rockets... were a lot better. We picked Spitfires because you don't need a little O-ring to secure the blades. Every year, we'd all go to Connecticut and shoot deer where they were issuing unlimited doe tags to control damage. I shot 4 in 5 minutes one day. My friend Joe and I (mostly Joe) would take 20+ a season off a 30 acre property. We knew expandable broadheads worked, but we couldn't convince Lori. I never broke a blade or had one fail but could not convince the right people. Eventually they were legalized, along with in line muzzle loaders, scopes, sabot rounds and such. Too many deer and not enough hunters caused a lot of hunter friendly decisions to go through. We have had a Sportsman's package where, for about a hundred bucks, a resident can buy 11 tags. We all bow hunt, that's a given. We all started out with something else. I like to shoot and like the idea that I can screw on broadheads and hunt, go home and screw on field points and shoot the Rhineharts and screw the broadheads back on and put the arrows back in my case.

As to tuning issues, I read someone say "I don't like generalizations." I'm quoting the President of a company that makes what 19 different broadheads. I've had issues with fixed blade heads and Rick (the archery pro from Thompson's) and I have had several conversations with him on the subject. I have near 25 years experience bow hunting and shooting competition. I do not have the resources that he does and respect his advice, enough to pass it on.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
IMHO anyone that shoots expandables just hasn't shot them long enough to have a disaster....

That being said Flinch hit the nail on the head, you tune for and shoot broadheads, thats what you hunt with, then I accept whatever field points do.

Anything else doesn't make much sense to me at all. Simply think about what you do with firearms and it translates.

Anyone that can't tune a good fixed blade head has either some equipment issues or tuning issues.

To top all that off, I'm still of the opinion that speed is not the end all to archery... I doubt my bow shoots over 250 if that much and its killed about everything I've pointed it towards. That being said I had a 300 fps bow once... and shot Zwickey 4 blade Deltas from it. If that can tune, then I'd think about anything could tune.

Hope I"m never talked into trying expandables again.

You can always count on rost495 for exemplary advice when it comes to bowhunting.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
First, go to an 85-grain FIELD TIP and see how much that pulls the gap together.

Remember; IT's ALL ABOUT BROADHEAD FLIGHT if you are a bowhunter. All remaining is just practice.

Note: FOBs will stabilize a ROCK on the end of your shaft, regardless of how fast that shaft is moving. If you can make that leap, it's a positive one.

Taylor

-[]------->

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,802
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.