Print Thread
Hop To
S
semi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I am in the market for a new fixed blade hunting knife. I hunt Whitetail deer and very little else. I am looking for suggestions. I used to carry a folder (buck 110) but didn't field dress most of my deer. Always had someone in the group who insisted they do it. Well, i am going to be doing it from now on and really need suggestions. i have done a few and found out what a pain it was cleaning a folder after use.

I see many opinions on here about blade length, metal types etc... I am just looking for a good knife that holds a good edge. I am kind of up in the air about blade length however. I see most people have a 4" or greater blade but many say that's too long. I only want to spend about $65 or less for this knife so i am sure this really narrows it down. But i lose to many knives to buy something more expensive.

I also would like to hear opinions on what blade style i should look at for this type of use. Drop point? or???? The blade shape should be use for all purpose use, kind of what i call a multi shape. Not too drop point, but not to clip point if you know what i mean. I would like something that is 440c steel or AUS8 which seems to be pretty good for my tasks. Please help me out if you would. I know i am asking alot here, but i really want to find the perfect knife for me.

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

757 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
michiganroadkill makes a fine knife that will fit the bill.

Pursue Perfection

Capture Excellence
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
vanimrod already has suggested a kershaw design. google up some more on kershaw. they make several designs at your price point or less that just plain work. for skinning, you do need some belly ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use folders. Mostly an old Western knife (with saw blade also). Simply soak them in soapy water for a little while when done. That is the easy part of dressing a deer. I do have a fixed Western with Rubber handle I like for skinning.
That orange Kershaw looks like a great hunting knife. Hard to lose too.

stumpy

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
How about a case exchanger! http://www.knifestuff.com/Case/xxchanger/CA-6200.jpg
Has both drop and clip.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

S
semi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I like that fixed blade case. Do you know what the blade is made from? AUS8? 440c? can't find much info on it. don't know much about case either.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Anything on the link below will do what you want, at the price you want to pay. Won't hurt much when you lose it because you planned ahead and ordered more than one.

http://www.swedishknives.com/760craft.htm

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Actually this is the one I was looking for ... http://discountsupplyunlimited.com/case_xx_orange_g10_small_slab_side_hunter_knife.html and it's cheaper.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Dozier PGK in D2.
If you must have stainless, ask for one in S30V.

It will outlast any of us and our children.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by semi
I am in the market for a new fixed blade hunting knife. I hunt Whitetail deer and very little else. I am looking for suggestions. I used to carry a folder (buck 110) but didn't field dress most of my deer. Always had someone in the group who insisted they do it. Well, i am going to be doing it from now on and really need suggestions. i have done a few and found out what a pain it was cleaning a folder after use.

I see many opinions on here about blade length, metal types etc... I am just looking for a good knife that holds a good edge. I am kind of up in the air about blade length however. I see most people have a 4" or greater blade but many say that's too long. I only want to spend about $65 or less for this knife so i am sure this really narrows it down. But i lose to many knives to buy something more expensive.

I also would like to hear opinions on what blade style i should look at for this type of use. Drop point? or???? The blade shape should be use for all purpose use, kind of what i call a multi shape. Not too drop point, but not to clip point if you know what i mean. I would like something that is 440c steel or AUS8 which seems to be pretty good for my tasks. Please help me out if you would. I know i am asking alot here, but i really want to find the perfect knife for me.

Why are you losing them? Only lost one....it was stolen.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, I'd drop a few extra clams and go Fallkniven if staying production. There are some KILLER customs out there for just over $100 though.

Sticking to the original guidelines I'd go Ontario RAT-3...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a Knives of Alaska "Elk Hunter". It has D-2 tool steel, orange rubber handle.

Its a little over your price, but I think if you invest in a good knife youll see the benefits and youll keep track of it smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This a late post, but my son has a carbon Cold Steel Master Hunter that he uses a lot and likes it. It is close to your price range. ANZA Knives, made from files, are another option. SMKW has the Hen & Rooster Field Hunter assembled in Spain with a German Stainless blade for $50. It's a nice little knife. Good luck.

If I only had one fixed blade knife, it would be a Dozier or an Ingram.

Last edited by croldfort; 07/15/09.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I carry a buck 119 special. It doesn't cost very much ($50.00 app). I have had great service out of mine. I have had some really great knives, very exspensive. But my buck does just as good. Stainless blade, easy to sharpen, holds a good edge. I also pack mules and tend to use it for more than field dressing. I use it for everything. I don't even look at new knives anymore. I am really happy with this one. I am sure there are some better, prettier knives out there. To me, this is the best using knife you can get for the money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rg

I just ordered the Buck 119 special. I didn't realize that they could be bought that cheap. Under $50 delivered from Amazon. Thanks.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I think you will be pleased with it. It is a simple using knife. I really like mine, have no complaints at all about mine. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 757
michiganroadkill makes a fine knife that will fit the bill.

+1

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (79S, 673, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 21 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,323
Posts18,526,433
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.