Page 146 of 173 1 2 144 145 146 147 148 172 173
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DanAdair
You know you fish too much if you start thinking "Waders are Lingerie, right??"

When I'm feelin' really sexy, I wear my "flyweights"... grin

Sorry, I had to do it....
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
HR IC

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BMT

Held it and sighted yesterday.

This rifle needs a longer LOP, and the scope moved forward.

Stock is too short.

The M7's have the standard Remington/McMillan/most everyone 13 1/2'' LOP. I'm guessing it felt so short because of the idiotic way he's got the scope mounted.

JO - a man you know, who's an experienced shooter, has been through the Thunder Ranch rifle class, and who's actually held your rifle is telling you the scope is mounted wrong. That right there is called a clue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've no idea on the name of the lake, or if it even has a name. It's pretty small, but there's gotta be a few cutts in it. It's been a few years since I've been up there as well....hope I can find it!!!

Off to crack a few backs to make the world a better place......Jeff, maybe you should check into getting a few neck adjustments if you've got problems like you've stated. I'd help you out, but it's a bit of a drive from Montana wink

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BMT

[Linked Image]

Held it and sighted yesterday.

This rifle needs a longer LOP, and the scope moved forward.

Stock is too short.

It sounds like you didn't hold the rifle with the proper ear lobe weld BMT. Did you get to see the black ring of parallax adjustment?

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Jeez . . . .

Personally, I think the problem is the Brick of a scope that Zeiss built.

A 1.5 power should be a LOT more compact.

The Leupies on Jeff's Rifles are mounted a LOT more forward.

If anything, holding that rifle, (snd shooting some of Jeff's other rifles) confirmed for me the Superiority of the Leupold design (giving up a litle optically in order to reduce weight and increase the eyebox)

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B2

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So . . . . . . I'm sayin' the problem is that Leupold is better than ZEISS.

(that should be good for 5 more pages)

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BMT
So . . . . . . I'm sayin' the problem is that Leupold is better than ZEISS.

(that should be good for 5 more pages)

Now you've done it. E will be along in a few minutes to join the fray in your support.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah...., This was our Montana fishing thread after all frown

Just go ahead and hi-jack it wink

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And well he should.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ear lobe weld...........now that's friggin funny. I think even Jeff would get a laugh out of that.

That being said....I'm happy that however Jeff wants to set up his rigs, and I do believe he's said they work for him, it's his call and he's the only one that has to live with it.

Also, I'll take a leupy any day of the week, because I like 'em just fine. Are there better out there? Sure, but with 30 years or so of using leupy's with zero failures and a hundred plus BG kills, I'm sticking with what works for me.

Now, back to the fly fishing...........

IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Whip

That being said....I'm happy that however Jeff wants to set up his rigs, and I do believe he's said they work for him, it's his call and he's the only one that has to live with it.

Amen.

BMT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7mm-08 beats the .308 every way.

End of discussion.

Feel free to agree with me or be wrong.

wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by duckear

Feel free to agree with me or be wrong.

wink

I LIKE that...request permission to use it sometime... grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by duckear
7mm-08 beats the .308 every way.

Number of main battle rifles chambered in 7-08 please?

BMT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You know, I've got a few rifles in the safe. Being a considerate father, and having some credit at a local rifle shop, one day I asked about 7-08's for the boy and ended up going home with a Kimber 84. I wanted his first rifle to be one he would always be proud of, take good care of, and have for the rest of his days, and as he got older and appreciated it more, he would look at his poor old decrepit dad and congratulate me on my good taste and wisdom in firearms.

My son is now 4 1/2, so there's a few years left before he'll actually be able to use it and appreciate it........but, with all the other choices available to me, I find it challenging to avoid grabbing the lil' 7-08 when I'm stepping out into the mountains. With a 120 tsx it's done well this past year, accounting for a few deer and one moose. I'm a big fan of the 270 Win, but this super cartridge is so close in performance as to make no practical difference that I can notice in the field.

And while I do not feel qualified to answer the "which is better" question, I can tell you that I like the 7-08 a lot. My son's rifle will likely have a scratch or two on it from dear old dad when he gets it, as I just enjoy carrying and shooting the little Kimber. And maybe, after I get one just like it for his younger brother, I'll get myself one as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like 7-08, a lot, but my preference for 7-08 (over .308) myself has to do with .308 being a wannabe 30-06, while 7mm-08 is just plain neat-o and stands on it's own two feet without having to pretend to be something else. smile

That said, duckear, a good case can be made that the two are pretty damn equivelant. Fair warning! wink

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As to scope mounting this and that, I'm simply gonna repeat that mounting a constant-eye-relief scope (especially) so that it suits a guy ain't rocket science, and leave it at that. My scope isn't mounted there by accident.

And for castandblast I'll add that I am 100% technically correct in my statement that the "black around the image" provides a useful means to reduce parallax when shooting long range. And I can prove it, easily and quickly, though I know you to be as chickensh!t as Sitka Deer when it comes to backing up the little potshots you like to take, so I won't expect the satisfaction of whuppin' on you. So there! crazy

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
From the "Leupold Riflescope Owner's Handbook", (the little booklet that comes in the same box as the scope and has instructions for mounting same):

Page 5: "Because of the safety considerations associated with proper eye relief, Leupold strongly recommends that you mount your scope as far foward as possible."

Page 6: "------------WARNING------------- If a scope is mounted too far to the rear, the eyepiece can injure the shooter's brow. Shooting at an uphill angle also increased this hazard because it shortens the distance between the brow and the rear of the scope. For this reason, Leupold scopes are engineered to provide generous eye relief. Therefore, when mounting your scope, we recommend positioning it as far forward in the mounts as possible to take full advantage of this generous eye relief.

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Hey Randy... I bet we have our Montana's set up differently that way... here's mine. All the way back towards me, just how I like 'em <g>. The scope has never touched me- though it did draw blood on a guy who shot it and crawled the stock.

Guess we are all built different, eh?

[Linked Image]

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Castandbals.

I shot the pictured Montans. That scope is mounted OK. A little back, but not bad.

The general rule is that the ocular lens (not the end of the scope, but the lens) be located in line with back of the trigger guard.

In the photo above, the lens is less than an inch further back.

If you'll look at the talleys, there is not a lot of room to move it forward.

Mine is positioned similarly:

[Linked Image]

In handling these rifles, I have concluded that the odd mounting is based upon a flawed analysis.

That analysis began with the assumption that the 1.5-5 CONQUEST was worth having.

That's a pretty stinging condemnation of the Conquest.

Your mileage, of course, may vary . . . . .
BMT

Last edited by BMT; 07/15/09.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BMT
"The general rule is that the ocular lens (not the end of the scope, but the lens) be located in line with back of the trigger guard."

A "rule" I have not heard before...

As the Bard might have said "Surely you jest". The Conquest is claimed to have 4" of eye relief. If that is where the scope need be to "fit" then adjustments must be made elsewhere for a hunting rifle.

The noted fact another shooter was bitten by said sad mounting should trump any weak argument about the user's needs. That mainly attributable to the lack of knowledge and experience displayed by said mounter. The Risk:Reward ratio is sadly skewed under the circumstances of a potential injury of extreme consequence and the absolute and utter lack of compelling argument for the positioning. Having seen bad results from poor mounting (lack of options rather than poor choices) it is obvious only the uninformed could weigh in for the mounting.

And clearly the scope manufacturers do not want their scopes mouonted that far back...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 146 of 173 1 2 144 145 146 147 148 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,961
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.