Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Will their be state run pot fields?

Will their be potency guidelines?

Will cigarette companies be able to put out a line of pot?

Half of me want to see this finally go through, just to see the chaos. What happens to people who grow their own pot, will they face jail time?

How will Mexicans react, cheaper more potent pot?

The bill introduced by San Francisco Democratic Assemblyman Tom Ammiano in February would allow adults to legally possess, grow and sell marijuana.

So if it is legal to grow it, how would it be taxed?

As the bill is written, the state could not begin collecting taxes under the bill until the federal government legalizes marijuana.

A spokesman says Ammiano plans to amend the bill to remove that provision.

Noway this works as intended.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are correct. Other than the savings derived by the criminal justice system being less stressed, the inherent costs of employing stoners and increased demand for twinky's there would by no fiscal change. You would think that weed smoker's would just grow their own, but industriousness is not one of their traits.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd think that not prosecuting/imprisoning for pot possession or growing would result in a large savings to the CA budget. Keep the "no sale to minors" laws on the books, heck maybe even boost the penalties.

You'd also see a good chunk of pot users growing their own, thus killing the need for illegal pot farms, and their attendant negative environmental effects. Unintended consequence - Humboldt county would suffer a major setback, financially.

We've tried outlawing it, see how well that's done? Now how about going the other way for a while. Could be worse, could be better. Only one way to find out...

Scott

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Read somewhere (might have been 60 minutes) that it would produce the 2nd largest cash crop next to corn.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
You would think that weed smoker's would just grow their own, but industriousness is not one of their traits.

Knowing your occupation, I seriously doubt that you'd have a lot of contact with folks that smoke on a regular basis. So I also doubt that you'd know that there are a lot of folks that smoke pot much as a large segment of the population uses alcohol - in moderation. Then there's also the probability that if you decriminalize pot, it will become the substance of choice (free to grow, no penalties) and the markets for meth, heroin and cocaine will take a significant hit. Yet another financial gain for the State...

Scott

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In reality, I doubt it. It may be a big money industry now, but unlike growing corn or making alcohol, it takes no skill to grow marijuana. I'm for legalization.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In California, a big chunk of delta water goes to produce cotton. Convert to growing hemp and agricultural water needs take a drop. Lots less pesticides needed for hemp as well...

Heck, we're circling the drain right now, financially. Time to think outside of the box. My stance - decriminalize pot (no taxation at first) and put a sunset on the law in five years.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Assuming what other people know is a serious mistake in life.

Barkoff Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well if it is the states intention (then the fed) to tax the hell out of it, why wouldn't black market pot emerge to beat the taxes?

It isn't like you have to build a still in the back yard and gather ingredients, many will grow their own, so will these people be subject to arrest?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...You would think that weed smoker's would just grow their own, but industriousness is not one of their traits.

At least the police are industrious enough to make their own doughnuts! grin

http://www.copsdoughnuts.com/

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, wait just a goldurn minute here, an idea just struck me (and left a big mark) -

Legalized pot means more people with the munchies.

More people with the munchies means more cravings for stuff like, well, doughnuts!

More craving for doughnuts means more cops can open more doughnut stores...

This could be a win-win-win for all involved. laugh

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! smile

I am for legalization of marijuana, just as Scott said, with some regulation. What I find laughable is when people try to justify it by thinking there will be money to be made. Money saved, yes, but not made. Stoners always think there is this huge market for weed, but reality the demand just exceeds the supply...because it is illegal. If legallized, the supply will quickly exceed the damand. No profit...no black market. That's why I'm for it.

Heck, I might even smoke some and eat FREE donuts!

V
V
You can not legislate morality and current draconian laws only make professional criminals wealthy as it distracts and dilutes the efforts of our police and judicial systems.
No one has proposed allowing people to drive or work stoned. I would rather my tax dollars are spent pursuing violent criminals that prey on society rather than stoners zoning out on a sofa. We lock up stoners every day and let convicted felons walk because the jails are too full.
Prohibition did not work for alcohol,
Gun control does not keep guns from criminals,
Gambling is quickly becoming the financial deficit solution.
What is the big deal on pot? Who is making so much money on pot being illegal that they do not want it legalized?
Obama was a stoner by self admission and he became president - OOPPS!!! Bad example.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Assuming what other people know is a serious mistake in life.

True that. However, if Pat makes the statement "A particular group of people behave in a particular manner", then doesn't it follow that Pat may not know many people belonging to that group that do not behave in the manner described?

So, just how many of your buddies use? wink

Scott

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 07/16/09. Reason: clarity. Or at least an attempt at better clarity...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never tried it but don't see how it could have a worse impact on users and society than booze and I like booze. As mentioned in addition to providing stand alone revenue to the state it could reduce crime as well as the workload and expense on the criminal justice system from enforcement to incarceration. I'd like to see them give it a shot so the other states don't have to support California.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never thought I would say this, but legalizing pot in CA might just really help them out $$$ wise.
Let the fools that want to kill off their brains still smoke the stuff, and the state get some much needed income.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem in California is uncontrolled spending. If they take in billions from Weed, they will only find ways to spend frivolously. It is a weird band-aid for compulsive spending by the State Assembly.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hatari,
I think you make a good point.
The scary part is, the Feds seem to spend uncontrollably as well.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari
The problem in California is uncontrolled spending. If they take in billions from Weed, they will only find ways to spend frivolously. It is a weird band-aid for compulsive spending by the State Assembly.

Boy, you got that right! and 1.4B won't even buy the Bastiges lunch. Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I thought you HAD to be a stoner to live in CA?.... No?

Here's the way I look at it - have at it. Fiddle away Caesar. CA is FUBARed. anything they do now just prolongs the inevitable. They need a total collapse before they can rebuild. Very similar to the "pain killer" they inject the death row inmate with just before giving him the big sleep. Sad really.

Last edited by bbassi; 07/16/09.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 15 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.