Print Thread
Hop To
Page 147 of 173 1 2 145 146 147 148 149 172 173
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
As to scope mounting this and that, I'm simply gonna repeat that mounting a constant-eye-relief scope (especially) so that it suits a guy ain't rocket science, and leave it at that. My scope isn't mounted there by accident.

And for castandblast I'll add that I am 100% technically correct in my statement that the "black around the image" provides a useful means to reduce parallax when shooting long range. And I can prove it, easily and quickly, though I know you to be as chickensh!t as Sitka Deer when it comes to backing up the little potshots you like to take, so I won't expect the satisfaction of whuppin' on you. So there! crazy

You are the last guy on this forum that should be handing out "scope mounting" advise.

Camp is where you make it.
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am 100% technically correct in my statement

You're 100% something alright. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You bastids posting J Obama quotes are going to make me laugh up a hairball! Anytime now there will be an article in Outdoor Life "Maximize Your Potential With Parallax!" It will be right between "How to Deal With Those Pesky Velcro Fasteners" and "Bed Your A-Bolt With Bubble Gum!"

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Now it's getting interesting... smile Bubblegum...hmm... shocked

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
While I would never mount a scope such that I got "black around the image" at full power FOR this purpose, it's simply true that a guy can use that to great effect to minimize parallax when shooting long range with a non-AO scope. I do it all the time. What's more, if any of you would care to step forward and articulate your position on the matter (rather than just be mockingbirds), I will happily prove to you that I am correct on this in one easy, concise post with links and pictures. Got it all ready to go. Any takers? Didn't think so. You guys don't work that way.

Sitka Deer knows all he has to do is show I'm incorrect and I'll leave the forum for a month... But funny thing is, since he knows in a fair debate he'd lose on this one in about 30 seconds, he just hangs around pretending he doesn't read my posts, then takes snide little potshots... laffin'...

On another tangent, I'm still wondering how some of you think a fixed-eye-relief scope is so hard to mount correctly that anyone could screw that one up. I also invite you to articulate how exactly you would mount said fixed-relief scope on a rifle. Use your words. Of course, your words will go like this:

"I mount it where I get full field of view from shooting positions. Then I go out and shoot it a bunch and make sure it works for me from standing, prone, sitting, leaning against a tree, etc!"

Funny thing. Those are my words, too! Go figure. Guess we agree.

Unless one of you wants to grow some 'nads and use your own words to explain how YOU would mount a fixed-eye-relief scope. Hmmmm? Care to play fair, or are you just part of the flock of mockingbirds?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff, I aint questioning your description of your scope mounting technique, it sounds fine.
I am a little curious about your results, however.
In looking at your rifle, and the picture of your standing shooting position, with the erectness of your head, I am having a little trouble imagining the contortions you must go through to shoot from prone without getting whacked.
I don't believe, prone, I could stretch my neck far enough back.
But, if it works for you, you have my consent to mount your scope anyway you want. Just not thinkin it would work well for most.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mcmurph, you are probably right! I do wonder, since in many cases the very same guys getting scope-bit are the ones mounting it forward of my preferred position and then obsessing over getting a full field of view (meaning, scootching forward on the buttstock). That said, I still suspect that you are correct- for most people. Not all.

Here's a funny example. Guy on another thread is getting whacked by a 30-30 (!)... He's following Sitka's advice of mounting the scope far forward, then "chasing" the image by moving his head forward on the stock...

But in the end, all I know for sure is that what I do works great for me, and I know this because I shoot thousands of rounds a year... And that's why I get frustrated when someone 1000 miles away tells me I'm doing it "wrong". There us no "wrong". There's what works, and what doesn't, and that will be different for different folks. Can't see how scope mounting is any different from LOP or trigger pull weight and so on, in that regard.

I will again extend the invite to (almost) any of you to go shootin' if you are in the area! Heck, we can even do some friendly wagering. I know what I can do.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Gets better and better.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Taking your word for it... But gotta believe it would be impossible to top the last quoted piece...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I do wonder, since in many cases the very same guys getting scope-bit are the ones mounting it forward of my preferred position and then obsessing over getting a full field of view (meaning, scootching forward on the buttstock). That said, I still suspect that you are correct- for most people. Not all.

Here's a funny example. Guy on another thread is getting whacked by a 30-30 (!)... He's following Sitka's advice of mounting the scope far forward, then "chasing" the image by moving his head forward on the stock...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gotta believe you are quoting out of context... JO is a Phreaking moron, but is he really that freaking stupid?

Damn, got burned... You set me up! Had to look and got caught by the Vicar of Vaginitis looking at one of his posts... Where he claims I would be! Damn!

But that is incredibly funny. The Vicar does not even realize how Freaking stupid he is... Amazing!
art

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
At least he votes with his head.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like 7-08, a lot, but my preference for 7-08 (over .308) myself has to do with .308 being a wannabe 30-06, while 7mm-08 is just plain neat-o and stands on it's own two feet without having to pretend to be something else. smile

Another potshot Jeff. The 7mm-08 is not a "plain neat-o and stands on it's own two feet without having to pretend to be something else" round. It's a 280 Rem (7mm Rem Express, or 7mm-06) wannabe.
Actually not a pot shot at you. Just don't take many words to set you straight smile
g

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

???????????????

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cannot even get my head around the concept of idiocy being built there, either...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont use a 7mm-08 or 308.
I do use SAGE rods however. They are not crap!
AND with the new RIO AMAX flyine they will cleanly outcast any St. Croix at long range casting.

Dont make me post logging pictures to prove it either smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is a video around of Lefty Kreh demonstrating casting at a show. Fellow in the audience is carrying on about how it has to be the rod... Lefty says "The line" and goofball repeats rod.

Lefty says nothing while goofball continues and strips all of the line off the reel and drops it on the floor. Then he takes the line in hand, no rod, and casts the entire line in a couple false casts.

"Yup, must be the rod..."

I personally do not like newer Sage rods much. I am plenty practiced with a fly rod to cast far enough... Few would want to compete with me for distance, apples:apples. I enjoy a softer rod for the ease of casting. I can let my mind wander and still make it work.

A friend told me the other night a casting guru had told him "Style is not substance done poorly."
art

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Lefty says nothing while goofball continues and strips all of the line off the reel and drops it on the floor. Then he takes the line in hand, no rod, and casts the entire line in a couple false casts.

Lee Wulff used to do the same thing...he even caught an Atlantic Salmon sans rod IIRC! laugh
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use St. Croix rods, and like 'em. I think that they catch as many fish as Sage rods. I can't justify the extra dough on Sasge. I also use cheapo Plfeuger (sp?) reels. Same thing. They work, I like 'em, and I'm sure I've never lost a fish that was my rod, or reels, fault. Still shopping a three weight though, and was told by the "guru" (idiot?) at the shop that the longer rod will be softer, and have a better feel for that smaller fish (12-14"). Any truth here?
Thanks.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems the hi-jack is back on track wink Fact is, whether it's Sage, St. Croix, Winston, Scott, Orvis, or JC Penney, most all will do well for a average fly fisherman in both casting and catching fish. In the hands of someone that's a little above the average guy, the top dollar rods really shine. I fished St. Croix for years before a buddy handed me his Winston to fish for the day...that was an expensive mistake. After fishing it for a few hours I picked up my St. Croix and it felt like a club, and this coming from a guy that swore there wasn't a $500 fly rod worth that kind of money. I've got four of them now, and looking for a fifth. I'm not the greatest caster, but when I'm on my game, these rods make it oh so easy.

It is the line that really matters and as long as you can load the rod and transfer that energy to the line you're GTG, even with a WallyWorld special. Dan's pretty savvy, changing lines and line weights as the conditions change to get different performance out of his flyrod. As for your question, the main advantage of a longer fly rod is managing your line on the water, both in mending and keeping excess line out of contrary currents. The action of the rod is what determines feel, both in casting and fighting fish. I'm looking for a shorter 3 wt myself as the places where I'd use it all of the casts are within 25' and it's a little brushy on some of my favorite streams and creeks. I'm with Art in that I prefer a slower action that flexes all the way to the handle as it makes me a more relaxed caster and I dig the slower pace. It's also more fun fighting the little guys and it ups the fun factor. I've also got two fast action rods (Winston BIIx) and it's amazing how much line they can throw with so little effort. But I like fishing the slower WT model better. Hope that answers your question.

Page 147 of 173 1 2 145 146 147 148 149 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,455
Posts18,489,729
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.