Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tburkes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T

Here's a big one. Dad shot this guy in Namibia last year.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is simply disturbing

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
T
tburkes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
so...that's a good thing right? smile I thought you would appreciate him JJ, seems I remember you're something of a Warthog junkie.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Yikes!!!

I'm interested in the geographic area.Some spots the soils just to poor for pigs to produce such tusks.

I have seen 2 one tusk warties like those Namibia,one was the semi-tame front yard mascot of the PH....

That first shot shows he is one monster.

Dinsdale

Last edited by dinsdale; 07/16/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, some great monsters. Congrats. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Been looking for one like that over the last few trips....so that's where he's been...on your wall!!! laugh
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are so darn ugly, just like me. No warties where we hunted, but a definite must next tme. I told my PH I did not want the prime breeder as a trophy, but the narly old bulls and rams that had fought the good fight and survived. My wife laughed and told me I was describing myself.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Describing JJHACK as a warthog junkie is like describing Obama as a moderate! Believe me, Jim is way beyound junkie when it comes to piggies!!

Lions is bad. Lions is feerse. Lions ete folks.
Edison Marshall "The Heart of the Hunter"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Randy,

If you had said broken down old fart my wife would have thought you were talking about me.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ChalesL
That would probably describe half of us on here.
R|andy

Lester Roloff
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Re warties aggresive like Javalinas. Please excuse the spelling
Randy

Lester Roloff
L
L
this hog was taken on horabe farm about 80 miles east n. e. of grootfontein namibia. get on their web site at horabesafaris.com the folks are personal friends of mine, the Pieter Grobbelaar family, i have hunted with them three times and taken some very good stuff. the eland on their website was about 1900# taken in 2005, that is Tburkes and Pieter with the eland and that is me and Pieter last aug with the hog. Tony and I have taken 3 eland 2 orix 2 hartbeest 1 blue wildebeest 3 kudu and some other stuff with Pieter. this area produces some big stuff, last august when I was there Pieter said his neighbor shot an eland just for their freezer that measured over 47" green and may be the new world record when dry measured, and these arn't lord derby eland.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Warthogs not Aggressive...but like most pigs, if you press them...that may change. I can tell you from "playing" with a pet warthog sow, they are incredibly powerful, so you wouldn't want to do something silly to be on the receiving end of one.... shocked
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
This animal was surely designed by a commitee of sorts...

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
i hunt w-hogs about twice a week. they will shy away from conflict if possible. if not you are in trouble. i hunt them with a back up gun. i try to avoid hunting them where tracking them is necessary. conservation manuals show them as being up to 105kg in weight. i have shot 6 that are larger than that. i don't back myself picking a fight with that. shot a sow the other day: text book heart lung shot braking both shoulders. she stood still when the bullet hit her. she then broke a fence and ran 130 paces before she colapsed. i had to bribe my trackers before they went after her. sow = GOOD meat!!!!

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of my top 5 animals to shoot on my first trip to Africa.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They were on my list too on a PG hunt. They are truly butt ugly and don't get any better as you get closer . They are the color of greyest clay and host a tick jamboree pretty much year 'round I expect.

They are cute though when young, following ma, flags up, and on a mission. smile

edited to say, those are some magnum diggers. The bottom ones would do serious cutting though.

Last edited by goodnews; 07/17/09.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
If I got the chance to do another Africa trip, I think I would be perfectly happy focusing on kudu and warthogs; the former because they are so stately and the former because they ain't.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

With critters like that running amok, I can see where a fella could get excited about a Ham Slam.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Went on my first safari, last summer. Harvested 7 head of plains game. My all time favorite, is the warthog! Can't imagine, even on a DG hunt, not trying for a good wartie! If I could only go back for plains game, I could make a whole hunt on warties and bushpigsgrin!

maddog

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.