-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 148 of 173 1 2 146 147 148 149 150 172 173
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another thing about Lee....he used to tie his flies w/o a vise. Did it all in his hands. I even saw a film of him demonstrating this as he tied a Royal Wulff. My flies would look pretty sad if I didn't have my vise. That guy was very talented.

HR IC

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I remember that Whip...and he could tie one faster than I could think...
Just gave my little 6 Ft. 3 wt. its maiden voyage for the year the other day...
According to flow charts,damned creek was three times normal, so fishing wasn't great, but caught a few brookies on the dry, and scouted some new water...looks good for when the runoff subsides....
One of those streams where you can look at a spot and figure there should be a fish there...and even high and fast...there was!
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Fly rods are a lot like rifles. You could put the most exspensive custom in the hands of a guy that shoots a few times a year, then hand him a T3, and he would still shoot those same animals. Have have handles and fished with some nice rods, Sage, and even a Hardy. Thay did make my St.Croix feel like clubs, but I managed to get over it. I'm just not there yet. Someday, but not yet. As to the question, no, it didn't answer, so I'll rephrase. Does the shorter, or longer, rod make fighting those smaller fish more sporty? I could benefit from the longer length as far as current and mending, but really am looking for the most sporty rod to really feel and play those smaller fish.
Great hi-jack.
Thanks.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not a fly fisherman. These Hardy rods are over $1000. What am I missing out on? Is it that much more exciting than with with a bream buster and a cage of crickets or a Zebco and a box of wigglers?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rman, Whip brings up a great point... There's nothing wrong with owning 5-6 rods. I've only got the one fast action St Croix right now, but I'm really wanting something beefier (that 9.5' Winston of Whips has my attention) I've fished one of their 5 wts and they're a damn nice rod.

Just stay away from SAGE rods, they're overpriced crap...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh yeah... The lower Flathead SUCKED yesterday. I missed two strikes. One jumped over my fly and was going to take it on the way down (gotta love flying fish) and I pulled it off the water under him. The other was good sized. I set the hook in him and he took all my schitt (I always seem to forget that I shouldn't be using 3X tippet on the lower river...)

[Linked Image]

So after half the float, I finally caught something laugh
Plan B

[Linked Image]

The Wifey had been bugging me to take her on a float, so we went from Teakettle (C Falls) to the Steel Bridge (Kalispell's Ghetto)

I'm Irish...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okay Rman, if you want the sport, then get a slow action rod that has a nice bend down into the handle. You do not want a stiff butt section. I'm not up on what St. Croix offers as far as action (I think they're mostly fast IIRC), so listen to your guru that knows St. Croix rods or string em up in the shop and have someone hold the line to simulate fighting a fish. Have them shake and tug the line. The one that flexes the lowest into the butt should be what you're looking for, regardless of how long the rod is, and should feel lively in the hand when you're tussling with the smaller trout.

I agree with you on your comparison of fly rods and rifles. Heck, thinking back on all the critters I've shot over the years, probably 3/4's of them could have been shot with my first rifle, a Marlin 30-30. Most of arguing over what's best, including the original topic of this thread, is wasted air. It still always comes back to a good bullet placed in the right spot, or a good fly with the proper presentation. Those that savvy that are the ones with full freezers and stringers. In the meantime, when I'm not able to be out doing what I love, yakkin' on the internet is good entertainment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice presentation on the BL laugh
Sure beats working, eh?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not inclined to agree on the bending down into the handle for the best fight... I will step down a couple weights before going to a noodle. Too soft and the rod is not a joy to cast... Lighter and faster is still plenty good for feeling the fish, to my way of thinking.

I cannot imagine having so few rods as to make them countable...

If you think Hardy rods are pricey, take a peek at their Ti reels... 8k or thereabout...

We run about 35 Hardy reels here and after decades of hard use the oldest are still every bit as functional as they were the first time out. I have smoked a Ross Gunnison 3 and a new Sage reel so far this year...

I had a handle come off a Hardy JLH Ultralight 2/3/4 last week (unscrewed and 100% repairable) and Gr8fulDoug took the handle off a Hardy Husky a couple years ago (with a knuckle, OWWWWW!) and I smoked a Marquis 10 about 20 years ago on its maiden red salmon. And that is the sum total "failures" with a Hardy in many, many hundreds of days (and thousands of big fish) on the water with them.

Buy junk and you get to repeat the pleasure...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been fishing the same "Junk" pfluegers for about the last decade... On a fly-rod, all a reel is, is a place to store line and a counterweight...

The rule of thumb is, you don't spend more on your reel than you do on a floating line.

I'm Irish...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whip
Nice presentation on the BL laugh
Sure beats working, eh?

When I downloaded that pic to my 'puter... I thought to myself, if fish went after humans, thats how'd they'd do it...

You know what I've missed about work all this week?????

Not a [bleep] thing. laugh

I'm Irish...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dan
If all you catch is trout you may be right... Salmon will change that notion real fast. We have caught more trout over 5# this summer so far than most will catch in a lifetime. Miss T and I caught more than a dozen one evening and had multiple double hook-ups on wild fish in current.

Last year I had 8 casts in a row with 8 hook-ups on big trout in the same place.

If you never catch fish large enough to put themselves on the reel the Phlueger will work (don't forget the Loc-Tite). Most of the Hardys here have been here for a long time. They will still be working in 20 more years.

Drags are more important when talking saltwater...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Same model reel...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just talking 'bout the smaller trout, Art. My beloved 8.5 5 wt Winston WT, when into a good fish, bends through the butt to a few inches above the handle. Biggest fish I've caught on that rod was a 24" brown, and it was plenty sporty and damn fun. Not a fan of noodles here either, even for small trout. I still think the best way for Rman to find what he's looking for is to try 'em in the parking lot.

I'd love to head up your way someday and fish for those salmon on a fly rod. What I consider to be heavy tackle down here you'd prolly think of as ultralight grin Gonna give it a go one of these days. Even with my poor work ethic, I don't get enough play days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scheeeeeiit, that must have been fun. Never heard of catching a 'But on a fly rod!!!!!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'But is good almost any way you can get it...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sitka, agreed... Big fish in my neighborhood go 4 Lbs.

And Whips right, you'd call our heavy tackle (6 Wt) Ultralightweight.

I'm Irish...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan,

I should email you a pic of a 46" Musky I caught on my fly rod in Minnesota. I love to fly fish for pike and musky. Ever try pike on a fly rod in your neck of the woods?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by DanAdair

[Linked Image]

I would think a guy from MT would drink a real beer. grin

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not all our fish are huge. One of my favorite rods is a TFO Finesse 7'6" 2wt...
[Linked Image]

Page 148 of 173 1 2 146 147 148 149 150 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1234, 160user, 219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 60 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.