Print Thread
Hop To
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Am looking for experiences on firearms finishes for a blued gun to make it as rust resistant both in the bore and outside as stainless.

The only process I have ever tried is hard chrome for handguns and it has been EXCELLENT to say the least...

Just looking for other options...

Thanks...Bob Makowski

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hot blue has been around for 100 years and it still works better than any sort of coating if you want it look good. Parkerizing of course works, but it's ugly in my opinion. Coatings chip, flake and scratch off, especially on parts that wear against eachother.
Teflon looks pretty good, but it wears off.
I haven't used Cerakote or Duracoat, but I suspect the results won't differ much.
Just an opinion.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oil

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
hot blue gets my vote. with a little care it will easily outlast you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TC1
Oil

Yup, every time.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
CeraKote is more weatherproof than stainless and comes in a variety of colors. I had an NIB Wby Mk V CeraKoted in Graphite Black. THe day I picked it up it was raining cats & dogs. I gave it the ultimate test. I went home and placed it outside on the patio table in the rain and left it all day. Put it in the safe muzzle down and left it there a week. Opened the safe the following week and pulled it out. It had nary a spot of corrosion on it.

That gun has since endured many foul weather conditions with zero adversity.

I would prefer hard chrome to stainless any day.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the higher the grit polish the less they wear, rust and pit. the matte blue guns seem to be the worst offenders while i have seen 50 year old weatherbys that look great.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably the most expensive solution is titanium nitride coating, but it's not something you can do at home.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks for all the replies. I spoke to the owner of Accurate Plating yesterday and he really likes the CereKote that his company has been applying. I have had several 1911s hard chromed by Accurate and Checkmate and I could no be more pleased with the durability of the finish....I don't however really want a silver barrel on the gunbut since I have killed several deer at close range with stainless guns as have my friends, I guess it really doesn't make any difference.

My biggest concern is the bore. The last thing I want to happen is a rusty bore and yes one should wipe the bore down after being wet but I have found that will also change the rifles first round impact point. On my Remington 700 LTRs in .223 and .308, if I don't clean the bore after shooting no matter how long after the last shooting session the gun will print a round right where the last round went. If the bore is cleaned it will not.... In my case it really isn't that important as 99% of my shots are under 100 yards where I hunt...

Thanks again...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
CeraKote is the direction I am heading. Will be offering it to others when I get the shop set... Yes, I have an FFL...

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (6MMWASP, 673, 79S, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 8 invisible), 1,751 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,950
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.