Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 151 of 173 1 2 149 150 151 152 153 172 173
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There, I made Campfire history...

At 1 in the morning laugh

There is a Tacticool advantage to Swing Shift after all...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
HR IC

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rman
I know I have to see for myself, but no one has definitly answered the short/long question yet. I'm sure i could get some more posts out of it.

OK Rman...Whip likes the long rods for most everything...he can finesse the fly into a good presentation, and feels better control on even the smallish creek fish. His is a pretty definitive answer.... wink
I favor the short rods, and by most opinions, the cheap ones...I have no "finesse" in my presentation ( or anything else...) I'm a "hacker" with a flyrod, and by ALL accounts, a poor caster. I keep producing goodly numbers of fish nonetheless, have a BALL catching creek sized fish on the tiny rods, and when a "river" sized fish shows up ( Say...two pounds plus) I just lean back gently and enjoy the Rodeo.......Okay, maybe not definitive, but its an answer, and one more post on a good fly fishing thread.... whistle
smile
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitive answer? There is none on the long vs. short question. At the present time, the shortest rod that I actually use is an 8 1/2 footer. I've got a pristine boo 5 wt that is 7 1/2, but it is a pig in my hands and it rips my shoulder a new one after even a few hours. Give me my BIIx any day of the week. BTW, Kenaiking, that 7 wt in the series is one awesome rod...I'm almost tempted to meet you down in Twin Bridges and pick out a 3 wt, bank account be damned (I mean, I really don't have to pay Uncle Sam his quarterlies on time, do I?). But Ingwe, my fly fishing soul really wants a light and handy 7 1/2 footer for the smaller water I find myself on. There's a great little place that I could catch 10" brookies all day long...it's high and cool and just the sort of place to be on a day like today when it's so friggin hot the sweat on your balls is sweating. Wild ginseng up there too, but I better not let the tribal members catch me up there eek
The city folks bailed on me today, so I think I'm headed to Strawberry for a little fishing. Too bad, I was looking forward to getting them a little freaky with a few bear stories ;)First I've gotta hit Brass N Bullets to replenish a few supplies. Have a good one guys....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mark,

Its been work that has kept me casting. The office is running a bit short handed as of late, when combined with trying to hire a few folks to replace a few and the inevitable BS from HQ, I haven't had alot of time. Haven't had a day off outside of July 4 and Memorial day since spring turkey season (March) - even then it was only a couple of 1/2 days.

Gonna fix that the last week of July.............

Either going to Colorado to do a little elk scouting or hang around home and try to wear out a few local trout. Am really looking forward to a few days running around the outdoors.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I casted a whole passle of rods from 7 ft to 9 ft and really liked the way I could get line out with a 9 footer. To me being a newb, it felt easier to get a 30-40 foot cast with a 9 ft rod.

I also bought a 9ft St Croix, 6 wt. I thought it was a pretty good rod - guess I'm using the Savage of the fly rod world eek

I'll do better next time - I promise.

I too like the flyrod thread a whole bunch better. Now, is a 5 wt line better for 12" trout or do I need a 4 wt...........................

Last edited by bwinters; 07/18/09.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No way on the St.Croix. There legend Elite series will compete with any of the high end rods out there. At about 250 bucks less too. In my opinion St.Croix is a great company. American made and a great value. I have two imperials I let people use or have tied up as extras in the boat. There a little slow for my likes but get the job done.

TFO is the savage of the fly rod world laugh

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There's a lot of good [bleep] in here.

[Linked Image]

Dig the bamboo

[Linked Image]

Bauer reels are my favs but the Ross reels ain't far behind.

[Linked Image]

Also dig the Sage TXL 4 weight.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks again for the info, guys, I can see the light! will go fondle some Imperials today, and get it sorted. Great pic Steely, you do have some nice stuff. Have a good weekend all!

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice steely. Is that a RPL in there? One of my favorite rods is a RPL+ 590. That rod just rips line. The TXL's remind me of the old VPS series just a lot lighter. Those were sweet sticks as well.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, a RPL 690-4

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rman.. See if the guy at the store will string up both rods and let you cast them in the parking lot. Most serious fly-shops have some floating line just for such occasions. You should see the difference between a 9'er and a shorter rod right away.

Whip, Tell Tim hi.. I shoulod just have an auto deduct from my paycheck to that damn place. Oh yeah, Sportsman had about 8K of CCI 450's if you need any SR primers.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yep, a RPL 690-4

Sweet stick for sure. Too bad they are going for more then they were new now. I saw a 590 go for $450 on ebay the other day.

By the way if a fly shop wont string up a few rods for you to try out go somewhere else.

SH08
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My favorite 6 weight. Also have a 7 1/2 GL3 3pc 4 weight that I like much.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the heads up, but they had SR primers...I called as soon as I saw your post. Oh well. I did get the die that removes the crimp from gov't ball 556 primer pockets, which is what I really needed. That and some boolits and a few lbs of powder. $140 for just a handful of goods...amazing how quickly it spends.

Strawberry will have to wait 'til tomorrow, as I ended up spending the day swimming at Lee's and teaching my 4 year old how to swim w/o his vest. Plus we caught about 13 painted turtles...my underwater lung capacity sure aint what it was when I was younger. Sure was fun and there's nothing better than hanging with my boys.

Right now I'm taking a break from doing a final sanding on a buttstock for my Benelli SBE. Friggin $1500 piece of walnut and the guy I gave it to carved a chunk out of the pistol grip with the duplicator and did a schit job of patching it. To say I'm pissed would be putting it mildly. Waiting for Lee's return from Bigfork for the master's advice on how to fix the [bleep] up. Hopefully it won't be too noticeable. He also left the metal at the bottom of the receiver proud instead of the opposite. If you need some shotgun stock work done I'll tell you who not to use......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW Steely, that's a nice Dorado. One of my favorite fish in the salt...fun to catch and super on the table. I haven't fished the salt in years and miss it greatly. I'm sure you're getting some good time in down there, though can't remember whether or not those Dorado are in the Gulf....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another BTW for Steelie +1 on the Dorado..always fun,
but one of my favorites was catching bream on a flyrod..
haven't done either in many moons...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Catching a few, still ain't broke out the fly rod for salt yet.

Two weeks ago

[Linked Image]

Earlier in the year
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That last one a black? Drum jolly good fun, and in the sizes you're sporting, good eating. We used to catch 50+ lbers in the surf off Cape Hatteras back in the day. Early C&R as they didn't fare well on the table, but a helluva battle on a 12' surf rod. I like to take drum and dredge them in seasoned flour, then egg, then bread crumbs and Tony Chachere's (sp?) then they hit the oil. Friggin finger licken good, and the colonel aint got schit on them vittles.

Last edited by Whip; 07/18/09.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Steelie...I think I mentioned this before...
YOU SUCK! laugh
wink
Ingwe

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The last one is a black drum, 40'ish pounds.

Page 151 of 173 1 2 149 150 151 152 153 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 54 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.