Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Glacier_John
Kevin, do you think it would be technically possible to after market apply that coating to older bins such as my pre HD Ultravid? I can see Leica and others refusing to do so even if it was possible, but it would be cool if they did.

As RDFinn says, no.

It would be technically possible if Leica licensed the process to make new lenses and swap them in for a charge but in that past companies have not done this (they prefer the profit from a new sale!).

But to coat them you'd have to remove them from the bin. You couldn't do it in place.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Kevin has stated is true in that Bushnell developed the technology for sport optic applications. Actually it first appeared on Bausch & Lomb products in the mid 90's. I still own a B&L 4200 w/ Rainguard and a B&L Elite spotter w/ Rainguard. IIRC, it took several years for Bushnell to develop the process so that it would be durable enough for scopes, bino's and spotters.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
It looks like the first of these patents is in 2001 which could have resulted from the work in the 1990s.

It's interesting to note that the first patent is more specific than the later patent (which comes out and makes the more general claim).

The other interesting thing is that of those three patents only two are assigned to Bushnell the other is still owned by John Cross. It's the middle one chronologically so I wonder if he was a consultant working with them rather than an employee.

Regardless this is what the Zeiss/Bushnell licensing deal is about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John Cross is the head optical engineer for Bushnell. He's been with Bushnell for some time now. I spoke with him several years ago and he is a real gentlemen.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

What is with the worship of rainguard?

I'm just going out on a limb here, but perhaps the fact that it works very well maybe have anything to do with it?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't worry about that limb breaking, John.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This thread has convinced me that my next scope will have rainguard.

I tried the scope caps years ago when they first came out, but they weren't for me. Actually most of my NW Montana hunting is with an open sighted Savage 99 in 300 Savage, but I occasionally use my .270 or 7mm Mag which are both scoped. I have never used any type of scope cap, maybe I'm careful with keeping debris out of my scopes or maybe I'm just used to sighting through crud, but I don't recall ever missing a shot due to a foggy scope picture. I can see rainguard for hunting in rain though. My last deer shot in incliment weather have all been with my Savage, but it's just a matter of time before I'll be hunting in bad weather with a scoped rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What I see here is a group who probably still uses a stick shift in there family car rather than an automatic. I mean why would we want to take advantage of tecnology?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Family car, I don't have no stinking family car, my 89 Ford F 150 has the inline 300 six with a stick shift, but my new 1999 Ford F250 Super Duty has an automatic. To me the rainguard is a step up in technology, I just find the scope caps akward and never saw a need for them.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Glacier_John
This thread has convinced me that my next scope will have rainguard.

I tried the scope caps years ago when they first came out, but they weren't for me. Actually most of my NW Montana hunting is with an open sighted Savage 99 in 300 Savage, but I occasionally use my .270 or 7mm Mag which are both scoped. I have never used any type of scope cap, maybe I'm careful with keeping debris out of my scopes or maybe I'm just used to sighting through crud, but I don't recall ever missing a shot due to a foggy scope picture. I can see rainguard for hunting in rain though. My last deer shot in incliment weather have all been with my Savage, but it's just a matter of time before I'll be hunting in bad weather with a scoped rifle.

That's where the smart money is being bet...

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
butler creek scope caps suck ass and get in the way. maybe we hunt differently around here but, hiking around through sage brush, trees etc, or just having the gun bounce off your clothes while its slinged over your shoulder will cause the scope caps to open when you don't want them to. who wants to monkey with them when you wanna get off a quick shot, the animals don't just sit there and wait for them to get shot, I already spend too much time getting a solid rest, getting a range and finally getting a shot. I have tried the scope caps when I was a rookie hunter and found they got in my way too much to make them even remotely worth it.

+1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Self-Cleaning Materials: Lotus Leaf-Inspired Nanotechnology

This article has some good comments on where rainguard-like tech is going.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Slipping covers and chambering a round are often too much for some folks.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KevinPurcell

So Zeiss may have their own coating technology (which may actually be better than Rainguard) but the patent for applying a coating to a scope lens to reduce fogging is Bushnell's. So Zeiss have to license it to do it; that's the way patents work.

Kevin,

I bought a Zeiss Victory scope a couple of years back and that utilizes their Lotutec lens coating...Not only does it repel dirt and water, but its a claimed to be a very hard coating that is very resistant to cleaning...All properties you might expect given that it was developed for eye glasses originally..

I still use BC covers on the scope, but the Lotutec coating is a nice additional feature that does offer some tangible benifits..

Regards,

Peter

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My rifles have Leupold Vari-X/Vx 3's. Hunting the hills of WV I carry a set of caps (BC) in a pocket. If I'm still hunting and it starts to rain the Obj. cap goes on and I sling the rifle; footing can be tough on the mountain and free hands can help. In the stand both caps go on if the rain is inevitable. Been hunting the same hills since 1972. The caps have worked fine. Always felt like I had to give up something to switch to one of the "rainguard scopes" (Eye relief, light weight, etc.)

Last edited by Moses; 07/19/09. Reason: SP
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shedder
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
butler creek scope caps suck ass and get in the way. maybe we hunt differently around here but, hiking around through sage brush, trees etc, or just having the gun bounce off your clothes while its slinged over your shoulder will cause the scope caps to open when you don't want them to. who wants to monkey with them when you wanna get off a quick shot, the animals don't just sit there and wait for them to get shot, I already spend too much time getting a solid rest, getting a range and finally getting a shot. I have tried the scope caps when I was a rookie hunter and found they got in my way too much to make them even remotely worth it.

+1

I couldn't agree less

I've been using BC covers for 15 or so years. Rain, sun, snow, almost blizzard conditions and I've never had a problem with them.

It's second nature for as soon as I shoulder the rifle to flip both covers up with my thumbs and they've worked perfect and take no longer to flip open than it does to shoulder whatever gun. Also work good in storage to keep the optics clean/clear.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I often hunt in freezing weather up here during late season. Last year I saw a muley buck out on a log slash, put the gun up, and my Leupold immediately fogged up from breath. Had that happen several times. One of these days it might cost me that Mr. Big I've been looking for.

Seriously considering selling it and going for a new Elite 6500. Looked one over a while back, was very, very impressed.

FWIW.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is there such a thing as glass that does'nt fog up from breath?i've never seen it...
Originally Posted by sir_springer
I often hunt in freezing weather up here during late season. Last year I saw a muley buck out on a log slash, put the gun up, and my Leupold immediately fogged up from breath. Had that happen several times. One of these days it might cost me that Mr. Big I've been looking for.

Seriously considering selling it and going for a new Elite 6500. Looked one over a while back, was very, very impressed.

FWIW.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crow_sniper
Is there such a thing as glass that does'nt fog up from breath?i've never seen it
FWIW.

Rainguard. That's not why I bought it but it is a NICE bonus. And if you have breath fog on a scope in extreme cold, it is on there like iron.

FWIW its not an either/or on scope covers or Rainguard for me. I use both. Never had a cap so perfect it would keep a scope from fogging in the worst conditions. The cap keeps off solid rain and big water drops, plus wet forest debris and the Rainguard feature has added a surprising bonus by eliminating the fogging. If you breath on a cold Rainguard scope, there is a detectible "fog" but it does not significantly obscure vision and it is gone in a second or two in my experience.

Last edited by Okanagan; 07/20/09.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I have 2 4200's. While they are very nice scopes I bought them for the rainguard feature. Stalking blacktails and elk in the coast range may give a different prespective of what can fog. BC's are ok but in 30 something degrees and a downpour they are worthless. Get any water in and You have fog and they are not waterproof.

MOLON LABE
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 18,584 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,961
Posts18,539,694
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.