Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
orion03 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mine is a Pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight in 30-06 that my dad bought new. It still wears the original K4 Weaver that he mounted on it. I can still remember tagging along with him in the Sandhills of Nebraska in search of mule deer. I saw him make some pretty impressive shots with that old rifle, mostly off hand. It has collected a few dings over the years, but they are all honest. Have pretty much retired it now, but last year took it out and shot a late season doe with it using a 150gr winchester Silvertip, the old ones. I was as proud of that doe as any big buck I've ever shot. It's the one rifle I can always pick up that puts a smile on my face and takes me back to simpler times. What's yours?

`Bring Enough Gun`
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I do the same thing.....I killed some does a year or two back with my Remington 742 BDL....I am 51 now and my dad and mom got if for me when I was about 13 years old...I am still haunted by the 140 class 8 pointer I missed at 90 yards with it when I was 16. Nothing but pure unadulturated buck feaver there!

I also take my M1 Garrand out from time to time....its serial number is within about 75,000 of the one my dad carried in the Battle of the Bulge, Springfield Armory mfg of course. He could remember his s/n until Alzheimers started working on him.....

Perhaps my fondest memory is hunting with my grand dads single shot Iver Johnson 12 ga from the early 1900's...like 1920 or so. I killed a 23 1/2 # 10" double bearded turkey with it, one buck with a slug and a number of doves. I pulled off a stunt with it I will never in 10 lifetimes duplicate...I killed 5 doves with one shot. They all flew over in one tight group, and that full choke was magic on them that day. I about fell out....

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The stories ahead of me are excellent. Such good memories.

I have my late dad's M51 JC Higgins FN 30-06 mauser still. He got it from the mfg. High Standard he made some tooling for them.

The rifle still has the 4X Lyman All American on it in Lyman mounts with the scope caps. It has a pad along with a Buehler safety he put on and he reblued it as he did not like the JC Higgins name on the barrel.

While my dad's guns bring back the admiration I had for him its the Boy Scout Explorer Post that he ran which was centered on hunting and shooting that makes many revor him. He made a lot of riflemen.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me, it's a Winchester Model 54 in 22 Hornet. My Step Dad bought one right after returing from WW II, and his got lost in the shuffle after he died. He let me use it groundhog hunting in PA. But, last summer I found one on Gunbroker and won the auction. I made sure that rifle wasn't going somewhere else. The one I bought is in excellent condition.
So, I can now go back and re-live those fine years I spent hunting with him...

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my winchester 94 trapper carbine in 30-30. My dad bought it for me when I was about 8 or 9 because it was nice and light. I shot my first doe with it when I was 12 and my first buck when I was 13. I still use it because its the only deer rifle that I own that is in good enough shape to use. Its in like new condition. Also my marlin youth modle 22. Its a 15YN. I shot a goose with it and my first squirell.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Winchester 62A my dad gave me when I was just 6 years old. It has a million rounds through it but is still as accurate in my hands as it was when I was growing up. I cannot pick it up without fond memories of my dad and the times we spent together in the woods and fields of northern Illinois in a much better time.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
When my Dad passed on some years ago, his Mod 63 came my way and what a gem...that's the rifle that taught me how to hit what I aimed at. We would go to the diversion canal (diverted water off the river to the water works) and shoot flash bulbs (he was a photographer) off the spill way. Unusual but it made me a great shot. I still go down there but you can't shoot anymore...

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Marlin 336C in .35 Rem. My dad had one when I was little boy and he used it to kill some beautiful bucks.

I wanted one when I was 7, but had to settle for the H&R .410 he got me.

When I was 12 he got me one for Christmas. I didn't put that rifle down for 2 months. Now, I had one just like my dad.

I deer hunted with it exclusively, until I was 25 years old. It has killed some of my best bucks, it has also cost me a couple of good ones. I loved that rifle so much, I had the bad habit of hunting with it in situations it was not suited for, (ie. long distance shots.)

Yep, that's the rifle that brings back my fondest memories of hunting with my father.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
my fondest memories are of my dad and i quail and dove hunting near alachua, florida back in the late 50's and early 60's. he used only one shotgun, a browning a-5, with a poly choke. after he gave the gun to me i kept it for several years then sent it off to browning and had it re-conditioned. gave it to my son maybe about 15 years ago. he uses it every season.

my personal firearm with the most memories is a tang ruger 270, wood/blue, i bought back around 73' or so. hunted with it many years in alaska, colorado, new mexico, virginia, georgia, and a few other places. nothing like memories!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For me, it's a Savage M99, in .250-3000. It was owned by an uncle of mine, who came to visit us when I was around 13 or so. I got to shoot it, the first centerfire I had ever shot. I still remember where we were when we set up for that first shooting session!!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Two...My Grandfathers bolt action 22 and Model 1100 shotgun, which were handed down to me. The 100 has a real gas powered kick to it too.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Loved these stories....

I have very few fond memories of my father. I could count on my two hands the times that I hunted with him. Seems he never had time for me...

He actually owned very few guns. (And no, I didn't inherit any of them.) frown

But his favorite deer rifle was a cut down .30-40 Krag. Actually, he had two of them. My brother inherited one and God knows where the other went. I've owned a couple of them over the years, but now I have one that my brother purchased from Stan Baker in Seattle, and gifted to me. It is much like the one my father had. And whenever I fondle it, it brings back memories of banana oil and his old gun cabinet. After I became an adult, I even used his rifle a time or two.

Now I own a replica of the rifle that I lusted after for years growing up... Perhaps one day, I'll carry it in the woods and take a deer as a tribute to a man I never really got to know, and never really learned to like. I could never make him proud of me, no matter what I did. Tho' God knows, I tried...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I still have dad's Model 88 in .308. That would be the one.

He didn't hunt much but after he figured out his boy was crazy for it [I had hunted with every junker the family had for a loaner]he took the plunge.

He and mom took us to Freeway Sporting Goods in Portland and dad bought the 88 and he bought me a 99R in 300 Savage with a tang sight.

I was in the 7th grade.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The one in this photo, I just stripped and re-finished the stock. First rifle I ever bought new, Marlin 336, $159. For years it was "good enough" until I figured I needed something faster and better. Killed the only buck I ever got mounted with it:

[Linked Image]

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rifle is my .375 H&H mag, M70 pre-64 Winchester....dad passed this one to me as a teenager, and I have had it ever since...this is the cartridge I learned to reload first.....so I would not KILL my shoulder at age 15 with the full house loads....always loaded a bunch of mild loads for target practice. And there is also a shotgun here for the story.....I inherited my grand dad's
28ga. Parker....used this one to shoot pheasants on his farm in Kansas every Christmas vacation when I would spend a few weeks
with him.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
A Mod.4 Rem..22 Rolling Block my uncle bought when he was young brings back the most memories of good times with family and firearms.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This is the one that started it all for me ... Marlin 39, and the actual rifle I learned to shoot with after a Red Ryder. This one has taken its share of game and varmints.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My Dad's model 70 30-06. and the Stevens 22/410 O/U that he carried most of the time on our late afternoons " walk out back " in the fall. Most every day we take the 1/2 mile walk and to an old abandoned orchard that was bordered by farm fields. Lots of Rabbits Squirrels and pheasants fell to that old .410 . I miss those days but the Stevens is still with me and next week my daughter will start learning with it !

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
+1 on Bighorn's 99 in .250-3000. It was my grandfather's, who died in 1929, then Dad's, now mine. It shipped from the factory to the warehouse in Utica, NY, Oct 17,1917, and to a store in St. Louis, MO, on Oct. 19. How it ended in Elysburg, PA, is a mystery. It only goes out in nice weather now, and hammers deer like always with the 87gr Speer hot-core. And it spawned my .25 caliber lust, too.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My first gun was an Iver Johnson single shot 16ga,
I killed a fair amount of small game with it, but it
had something wrong with the ejector. One of my
grandfathers had a lever action .44-40 that disappeared
after he passed away, I never saw it. Always wanted to
at least handle it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 28 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,197
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.