Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ya Jeff, I seen one of those A1 uppers cut off and tapped, crewd but it was a start. Know the guy who had it and may try to pick it up for nostalga.

On another note have you heard of the 22pdk? It's the 6.8 necked down to 22 cal and is supposed to bring 22-250 ballistics. Lots of options.

Spinners huh? Gives me some ideas... grin.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
had not heard of the 22 pdk, I had thought of the 6.8 necked down that far or even fartehr, but didn't know anyone had done it.

Close to 22-250 would be cool 'yote upper. Might have to research, its only money right..... I gotta finish up some bolt gun projects first though.... then to the AR10 projects, then back to the 15s...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Issac, oh yeah, start with the 15 for sure IMHO. YOu can move to the 10/25 platform later though.... I never thought I wanted a 10 either... have a couple of M14s that do as well or better, but now a 338 federal or 358 win and the option of the 260AI......
I get 'easier' as I get older

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm very late to this thread, and I am not sure I am addressing the latest twist, however if I was looking for a single AR-15 that could be used for most everything I would select something along these lines:

It would be an A4 set up as a NM rifle. By this I mean that it would have a nice 20 inch stainless steel barrel with either 1:7 or 1:8 twist, in a flat top receiver with the NM carry handle and front sight. There would be a free float tube and the trigger would be a nice two stage NM trigger.

Armalite makes a very nice one called the M15 A4 SPRII National Match, for example.

You could use it right out of the box and then you could mount some type of optics by simply removing the carry handle. The 20 inch barrel will easily carry your bullets supersonically past 600 yards and if you handload, up to 1000 yards. The rifle will be very nice to shoot, highly accurate and if one day you get into a panic where you MUST have a 16 or shorter barrel, just swap the upper, the lower will have all the NM parts you need.

If you want to get it built from scratch, use that rifle as your prototype.

Last edited by FTR_Shooter; 07/21/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't gotten an AR ever either and am pretty much a newb, though I have researched it off and on. I decided when I get one it will be a model similar to the RRA predator or remington's R15 model with an 18-20" barrel but not the varmint weight barrel.

It will be quieter, handier, flat top for ease of mounting various sight options and more of an all around gun that I see myself using more than a swat style entry weapon or prairie dog field gun.

For a second upper I would like to get 458 socom or the 50 beowolf just cause that intrigues me and in WY you can't use a 223 caliber legally for big game hunting. The thump in a package like that is just cool.

Not sure how that applies to you but that is what the one gun idea boiled down to for me. Just haven't pulled the trigger on the idea yet. Need to find a client like yours.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
my 50 beowulf is a workable 200 yard cartridge, you have to use holdover of course but sighted in correct its on deer at 100, 150 means high, 200 means top of back. Pretty easy to remember.

Barnes X thump em pretty nicely , but I've yet to have a DRT one, but I don't break bone and such, I'm a lung shooter a lot, that or head, and I haven't done a head with the 50 yet(neither the real 50 or my beowulf....)

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
Ya Jeff, I seen one of those A1 uppers cut off and tapped, crewd but it was a start. Know the guy who had it and may try to pick it up for nostalga.

On another note have you heard of the 22pdk? It's the 6.8 necked down to 22 cal and is supposed to bring 22-250 ballistics. Lots of options.

i played with 7.62x45 necked down to 22. Beats the 6.8 necked down but nothing close to 22-250. Comes in about halfway between 223 and 22-250. Uses a 7.62x39 bolt and 6.5 Grendel mags.

[Linked Image]

Compared to 223 (on the right)

[Linked Image]

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
For a real hot rod you can go here... http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/WSSM%20page.htm

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Tod,
Well that figures. I haven't been able to find anything on the pdk and am now thinking the guy named it after himself and possibly added a little more to it velocity wise. If I find anything more I'll let ya'll know.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
isaac, just go buy a rifle.

fiddle with it until it's what you want.

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Agree with tommygs! They are just plain fun in any configuration and easily modified to a configuration you like....

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just get a free floated barrel and a gas block up front. I love my RRA and would do the same thing again. Last time I was at Gunsite the instructors were very interested in the RRA. They had seen a bolt break on one or two. No such problem with mine. Nice standard trigger and runs like hell on wheels. I've had a lot of 500+ round days with minimal cleaning. The colts and FNHs I've use playing army have most worked fine. The last colt I deployed with, I worked hard and it held up fine and was always there for me.

If your looking at Noveske, they're great. I've been to there shop and met most the crew. Great people that make an excellent product. In that price range Next Generation Arms is also execellent and again great people.

Rost is on with building your own. Not as hard as it may sound and you get it exactly how you want it for a good discount.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by tommygs
isaac, just go buy a rifle.

fiddle with it until it's what you want.

-tom

+++++++++++++++++++++

Since I have that client deal going, I'll probably let him have a go at it especially since I'll get a selected custom made one for the 1380 my client owes me. Who knows, he may just take one of his off the shelf and ask what I want to fiddle with as you and Keith suggested.

I gotta learn as I go through this so this way I'm learning a lot as I progress.Moreso than if I just went into his gun locker and grabbed one. Plus, I wouldn't know entirely which one to grab.

But, your point is well taken, tommy.

Last edited by isaac; 07/22/09.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TC1
Also look at Sabre defence as one of the better brands.

As others have already stated, 1st you need to define the rifles true purpose. For me an ultimate AR-15 has a 20" barrel to keep all that noise just a little further away from me not to mention the extra velocity gained. The gun isn't too long that it can't be used in inside if needed, but in all honesty it probably will never be needed for that purpose. It has a medium weight barrel so it balances well while still being easy to carry. It is extremely accurate and it doesn't have anything bolted on it that isn't necessary to use it.

For me the ultimate AR-15 will be used for informal target shooting and calling in coyotes.

That's my version of the ultimate AR-15.
[Linked Image]

Terry
Terry can I ask who made that barrel? I am looking for a 20" LW barrel of good quality. Cheers. JP

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
20 inch tubes that are good and light are a rare thing unless you buy custom and flute a lot..

I'm interested to, especially if its a good barrel that doesn't have 150 of fluting on it..

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I was contemplating this Noveske Upper. Any thoughts,pro or con?

18" SPR 6.8mm Upper

--18" SPR 6.8mm SPC stainless barrel
--1 in 12" twist polygonal rifling
--6.8mm SPC MOD 1 Chamber (.100 Freebore)
--Vltor MUR upper receiver
--11" inch railed handguard with anti-rotation interface with the MUR upper receiver
--Mid length gas system
--Extended feed ramps
--5/8x24 TPI muzzle threads
--Bead blasted finish on barrel
--.750" gas block seat
--Vortex Flash Suppressor
--Auto bolt and carrier group
--Forged charging handle
--Optional BUIS (Troy Back Up Iron Sights)
--Medium Weight Contour

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a factory Sabre Defence rifle. It's by far the most accurate AR-15 I've ever owned. MidwayUSA sells the fluted barrel assembly for $450. It sounds a little pricey but when you consider the parts that come with it like the YHM gas block/flip up front sight and all the fluting work the price isn't really that bad.

Sabre Defence is 1st class stuff in my book.

Terry

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Sabre defense stuff is really nice. I've got a 6.5 Grendel M5 upper coming. After looking at several, I decided it was a must have.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
For an all-around gun-

Cons

-18in Barrel is to long and unnecessary
-6.8 is expensive and unnecessary
-Vltor Upper while being high quality, is heavy and unnecessary

What you described is really a specialized gun.

You mentioned using it for SD/HD. If you hadn't then it's just whatever you want. If you think you may have it for serious use then there are certain things you will want.

Stay with tier on manufactures-Colt, LMT, Noveske, etc., or a really good "smith" that uses tier one parts. S&W also makes a pretty good gun. Forget Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River, Olympic, etc. for serious use. They have to many problems.

Make sure you get a barrel that is chambered in 5.56 with a 1-7 or 1-8 twist, do not get one with a 223 chamber. 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist will shoot light bullets just fine, and will stabilize 77gr OTM's which do make a difference at range. Make sure it has a chrome lined chamber and bore. You're not using it for High Power matches- a 5.56 chamber and fully chrome lined barrel will help make sure it works, and as long as you get a good quality barrel you will not have a problem averaging 1MOA with match ammo.
You can also use a good stainless barrel with a Wylde or MK262 match chamber, but you do give up some longevity and durability, and reliabilty with certain types of ammo with them.

An 18-20in barrel is unnecessary. It decreases maneuverability, adds weight and aids very little in mid range shooting. A 16in barreled gun is fully capable of shooting and hitting at mid range (5-600yds), and is much better for running and gunning.

Use a free-float handguard.

In general stay away from "match" triggers. If you shoot a lot and/or attend a training class, and you should, they will fail. The exceptions to this are the Gesielle and the AR Gold, though the utility of a 2lb trigger in self protection is debatable.

As to optics- they can be whatever you prefer. All-around means from contact distance to mid range (0-500yds or so) however in real life the mass majority of use is probably going to be under 200yds. So a suitable red-dot (Aimpoint) especially with a magnifier or a low power variable (1-4x, 1.5-5, etc.) is going to be the most useful.

There is actually a name for this type of rifle and it was started by military SOF. It's called a Recce, and they work very well at a whole bunch of tasks.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
That was a excellent reply for me to read and understand, Charles.

Thank you.

William Arthur Ward

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (12344mag, 22250rem, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,389
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.