-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The old remingtons are sooo beautiful and beyond accurate, but like I said in a different post on WDC the only .22 rifle I have is an old mossberg 44. All it is, is a club of wood with a semi bull barrel pipe coming out the end. But I have taken spent 12 gauge shells, set them out at 20 yards and knocked the primers out of the brass. 60 feet doesn't seem like much distance but the target really is not much different in diameter than the .22, this is of course off a bench rest, I couldn't do it free handed. But, that bolt gun for being 50+ years old is pants crapping terror when it comes to accuracy.
LNF150

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I too suggest the CZ, either a 452 or 453 model in the American style version. I have had several CZ's and they are always accurate and well built. My most recent rim fire purchase was a 453 American with the single set trigger. It helps having the light SS trigger when shooting small targets far off. When I don't need it, the regular trigger pull is the same as a 452 model. Slick. The rifle balances and handles well and looks good. The bolt action is smooth and fast.

D
DMW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Daveh
Looking for a reasonably accurate 22LR Bolt action that will weigh no more than 6.5lbs with mounts but no scope.

CZ 452 American. I even replaced the composite magazine well with a steel one, and weighed it scoped with steel rings(CZ Kozap) and a fairly heavy scope(Bushnell 3-9x40 Trophy). It also had a solid steel single shot adapter in it when i weighed it...came in at 6.7 lbs. So, your 6.5 lb (rifle & rings only) goal is easily obtainable.

I like the Rugers, but i think they cost too much for what they are.

my 452 Ameriacn
[Linked Image]

DW

Last edited by DMW; 07/20/09.
T
T
Where'd you get / make the steel SSA?

benefits and shortcomings of the CZs are the plastic mags... benefit in weight, but shortcoming in possibly less longetivity and certainly the way too high price.

Last edited by true; 07/20/09.
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't see much of a price difference on used.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
IC B2

D
DMW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I think the CZ polymer mags are just as good as the steel mags, it just comes down to preference. I like steel, myself. i will agree that Cz 452 magazines are a little on the pricy side at around $30+/-. They are nice quality magazines, so at least you know your not buying cheap junk accessories.

Anyway, the factory parts i switched out for steel replacements are:
-polymer magazine well
-plastic magazine floorplates

The accessories i bought because of the quality:
-steel Single Shot Adapter (awesome, and a must have)
-CZ kozap rings (had to shim a little for 3/8" groove)

All parts (except the kozap rings) are old new stock Brno parts and were obtained from a gentleman i met on another forum (RFC). He goes by "Brnomann" on that site, but also sells on GB under the name "zdeno". great guy to deal with.

If you are looking for something in particular that is CZ or Brno related, email him from the GB site and ask.

DW

p.s. I also replaced the factory action screws with torx head screws from Rimfire Technologies: http://www.rimfiretechnologies.com/ ...they are very nice and match the bluing perfectly.
another option for action screws is J&P: http://www.jnpgunsprings.com/ , these are more of a matte finish

Last edited by DMW; 07/21/09.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got 8 rimfire rifles including a Ruger 77 and a CZ452 American. They are about equal in accuracy, at least these two examples. My only gripe with the CZ is the backwards safety and that's not really a problem.

I recently purchased a NIB CZ FS,(mannlicher stock), and was dissapointed to find the forend metal and magazine were no longer metal. Shoots just as good as the American but that plastic forend just looks tacky. Looks to me like the plastic mags on the new CZs would be easier to damage than the old metal ones.
Can't beat the Ruger for ruggedness and the best magazine in the industry IMHO.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

D
DMW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
I've got 8 rimfire rifles including a Ruger 77 and a CZ452 American. They are about equal in accuracy, at least these two examples. My only gripe with the CZ is the backwards safety and that's not really a problem.

I recently purchased a NIB CZ FS,(mannlicher stock), and was dissapointed to find the forend metal and magazine were no longer metal. Shoots just as good as the American but that plastic forend just looks tacky. Looks to me like the plastic mags on the new CZs would be easier to damage than the old metal ones.
Can't beat the Ruger for ruggedness and the best magazine in the industry IMHO.

I am pretty certain CZ still produces both steel and polymer magazines, so the steel ones aren't really the "old ones". It's just a toss up what your rifle comes supplied with.

As to the FS nose cap, you can call CZ-USA and order a 527 nose cap...it's the same thing (shape & dimensions) but is steel. should cost around $18

The safety is opposite of what is the standard: forward for fire, but it doesn't bother me either. i also think its one of the more robust rimfire safeties out there.

Rugers are nice, especially because of the magazine. I like everything about the 77/xx, except the price. in my area they are typically about $100 more than any CZ rimfire. As much as i like my CZ's, if the price was closer, i might have gotten the Ruger.

DW

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Daveh: Along with the hangdown clip you will also have to "get over" the bass-ackwards safety.
These two significant attributes are what is keeping me from owning CZ's.
Look into a used Kimber M-22 H/S (Hunter/Silhouette) I have one and it is a superb Rifle with an exceptional trigger.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (338Rules, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 16,941 guests, and 879 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,180
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.