Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Just thought I'd share a quick simple meal idea me and 3 of my buddies had on a recent hike in Potter County, PA. I brought along 2 Mountain House Chicken Breast and Mashed Potato dinners, along with a whole pack of Stovetop chicken stuffing. I heated up the MH meal like normal. For the Stovetop I added 1 pack of chicken gravy mix and the required margarine, and 2 cups of boiling water to the stuffing mix in a gallon freezer bag. From adding water to hittin' the plate the whole shootin' match was done in about 6-7 minutes. This is one of my new favorites when I'm backpacking with 2-3 buddies.

“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” -Francis Chan

Down Quilts : www.locolibregear.com/gear.html
Blog : www.walkingwiththeson.com

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just a day hike? What stove do you use?

I use the MH dehydrated meals when I hike and camp. Easy to fix, quick, and fills you up.
Sounds like that stuffing concoction is loaded with those hiker calories. smile

Sam......

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Actually, an overnighter on the Susquehannock Trail System. Hiked into Hammersly Pool. What an awesome place! Fresh blueberries on the mountain tops too! When I get my camera back from my buddy I'll post a few pics.

I usually use one of the alky stoves I build. This trip I brought along one of my oldies called the Timberline, which is basically a Whitebox stove, but lighter.

“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” -Francis Chan

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome to the Campfire George. I fyou don't mind post a pic of the stoves you build.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Welcome to the Campfire George. I fyou don't mind post a pic of the stoves you build.

Sure enough!

Here's the one I brought this trip (it's called the Timberline stove):

[Linked Image]

Here's the Gram Weenie:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Gram weenie PRO:
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

And the Thru Hiker:
[Linked Image] [img]http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss255/george_carr/th3.jpg[/img]

Each one is better at some things than the other, and I use them like any other "tool". The Timberline burns hot and fast, boiling up to a quart of water at a time. The Thru Hiker will also boil a quart, just not quite as fast (almost though). The Gram Weenie PRO will boil 16-20 oz water, while the original Gram Weenie was designed to heat 8-10 oz water (for a cuppa joe, say).

I have a few more designs up my sleeve smile.

Last edited by George_Carr; 07/21/09.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Welcome to the 'Fire! Nice website you have too.
https://end2endtrailsupply.com/Home_Page.html
Good sounding meal!

The margarine should get SSE's attention! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Thanks ironbender. This is one of my favorite combos of freezedried and grocery store foods. I also like Lipton sides with a can of chicken dumped in during the last couple of minutes cooking. Could eat the whole thing by myself (and I have :D). Who's SSE?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
sse is a good guy and respected member of the campfire, we just bust his chops cause he likes margarine! grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

203 members (3333vl, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 23 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,879
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.