Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 154 of 173 1 2 152 153 154 155 156 172 173
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy chit, well over 3000!
Sweeeeeeeeeet!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

HR IC

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well over now. Back to fly rods? I have a TFO Finesse to try out over the next few days, so I'll let you know how it goes. Still not my first pick, but we'll try it out. Got a great deel on a Lamson reel to go with it.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So....................the big question..............how long is it?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah...inquiring minds and all that... smile
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No chit....

Fly-fishing is important in Montana

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sorry fellas! It's the 7'9" model. Been getting ready to go, and neglected you all! It's a little butt heavy with the reel on, but we'll give it a swing and see how it does.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Notice that Whip...he kinda took the middle ground, got a compromise rod.....probably sick of us fightin' over him!! grin
Also probably a good move...
Let us know what you think of it once you've fished it!
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With the praise said rod has received from a few guys here on the fire, I'd say there's a better than average chance that he'll dig it. Mark, Scott, and Art all gave a thumbs up. That'd be good enough for me give a TFO a try...and I'm a Winston snob. The finesse series is described as having a traditional taper, and it sounds right up my alley. For $180 msrp and the no fault warranty it would be hard to go wrong.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/rods/finesse.html

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've never thrown a Winston rod, as I've said earlier, I feel it would be wasted on me....no coordination or finesse...I built a couple rods years ago on J.K. Fisher blanks...hot stuff for their times, but truly nowadays a $70 graphite is as nice as those Fishers.....
Don't know about the Winstons, if I picked one up, I could fall in love all over again!
Ingwe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You would, and those rods can make an average caster look good if you let the rod do the work. As Lefty and Joan have pointed out, it's the "snappy" stop on both the forward and back cast that really transfers the energy to the line. Hard not to like the fact that they're made right here in MT as well. Every time I'm down Twin Bridges way I stop in and cast a few and it's hard not to take another home with me.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dare I ask how much they fetch?? Not that I need another rod, even though I do need a 6wt for the lower Flathead and windy days on the N Fork.

Sage used to make a really good rod, until River Runs Through it hit the theatres. Ever notice how everything yuppies "Discover" they screw up?? Fly-fighing, Harley Davidsons, Vintage BMWs...

I'm Irish...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whip
You would, and those rods can make an average caster look good

Whip,how do they make a just plain krappy caster look?
Notice I didn't spell it Crappie....I mean Krappy..
I keep catching fish though, and feeling good about it till I get one on my backcast( NOT stopping the rod and letting it do the work...)..... whistle
Ingwe

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Whip
You would, and those rods can make an average caster look good

Whip,how do they make a just plain krappy caster look?
Notice I didn't spell it Crappie....I mean Krappy..
I keep catching fish though, and feeling good about it till I get one on my backcast( NOT stopping the rod and letting it do the work...)..... whistle
Ingwe

Hmmmmm . . .

I might know a guy like that . . . . . blush

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last I checked closing in on 6 bills for your average trout rod. That is why, with the limited use a 3 wt would find in my quiver, I'm thinking TFO.

Last edited by Whip; 07/21/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, they're proud of their schitt. They sell blanks at all?? Just so happens I know two pretty decent rod-makers here in town.

I may try a TFO as well, hopefulley next summer finds me in a better economic situation

I'm Irish...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the crowd goes into a wild chant...TFO TFO TFO

As you guys might guess I'm about their biggest fan!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I swing a TFO, caught a n-i-c-e 13" native on the backside of the Sierra's with it.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan,

6-8 bills for the high end stuff. Im a true sage guy and have been for a long time. I have a couple Z-Axis that just plane rock. That said my BIIx I just got is the lightest and smoothest rod I have ever cast. Its going to become one of my favorites really fast. I can already see a 7wt BIIx spey in my future.

Anyway you can pick up winston BIIx blank kits (blank, handle, reel seat and guides) for like $350 bucks. Dont over look there Vapor and acent series either. They are sweet for a mid prices rod. The sage Flight. is a Nice stick too.

I have never cared for TFO actions. They are a little too jerky for me. I think there good rods and a great price point though. I think for me Im just too used to the actions on higher end sticks. Its too hard to work backwards smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It cost a bit more than a TFO, but here's my 3wt rod:

[Linked Image]

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OOOHHHH, you REALLY SUCK! laugh
sick( Green w/envy...)
Ingwe

Page 154 of 173 1 2 152 153 154 155 156 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.