Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been shooting the little 350 mag. for quite a while now. Never noticed any more recoil than from an 06.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Originally Posted by LDHunter

How did you verify it's a McMillan stock?

I think that Remington used another manufacturer for them other than Brown for awhile but the name escapes me right now.

$bob$

I talked to McMillan and they confirmed that it was one of their stocks......figured they would know.

What did they tell you to look for? I've always thought I could spot one by the look, feel, weight and comparing them to others that I KNEW were McMillans, but I have had to trust my instincts...

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I never even thought about who made the stock on my M7 KS until I removed it and saw McMillan printed inside of it.

"Que scais-je?"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only seen one that ever said McMillan inside of it.

There have been so many changes through the years you about need a dang scorecard.

$bob$

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same here Bob, I have one that says McMillan.
And I feel the same way on keeping score. grin
A KS that sports gloss blued metal is generally a giveaway that it's a Brown Precision stock. (ummm, but not always)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bob

It has been a few years since I contacted McMillan about the stock........I think I visited with Kelly about it........don't remember exactly what he said, just that he confirmed it was a McMillan stock........sorry I can't be more helpful.

Cancer Sucks
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If this is a McMillian stock...is it on their website or is it a Remington exclusive...

Thanks for all the great replies...makes it harder NOT to buy one...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
McMillan makes the stocks but Remington owns the mold and the patent for them so McMillan can't sell you a KS stock legally and Remington probably won't unless it's with a Custom Shop rifle or as a repair item. This is also true for the Alaskan Wilderness Stocks for the Custom Shop Model Sevens.

This is different for the Bell and Carlson stocks made for the Remington Custom Shop rifles and you can buy them direct from Bell and Carlson or Lock Stock and Barrel.

$bob$

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks...that is what I thought...

Anyone know if the barrel contour on the M7 KS is slimmer than the present M7 CDL?

Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never seen a Model 7 CDL up close but I can tell you that the Model 7KS and Model 7AWR are both aren't nearly as slim as the old Model 7SS or youth models.

The new Model 7XCR Camo rifles have a pretty fat barrel too.

Those 20" thin whippy barrels on the old Model 7 rifles was why they were finicky and hard to get consistent accuracy out of.

In recent years Remington has used much lighter stocks and is fluting their barrels to keep the weight down but they're leaving the barrels pretty fat to reduce barrel whip and improve accuracy.

$bob$

Last edited by LDHunter; 07/27/09.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LDHunter

Those 20" thin whippy barrels on the old Model 7 rifles was why they were finicky and hard to get consistent accuracy out of.

$bob$

Agreed......I do believe the 350 has/had a larger bbl to begin w/vs 260, 223, etc. Not sure on variations w/in same cal.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
kind of off topic but when i come across a heard of guys who are 350 owners i have to ask, do you boys have any loads you have worked up that you want to share?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
6.5BR
My #7 in .260 was a poor shooter also averaging around 1.4" 3 shot groups...
I had it bedded, including the barrel in a Wildcat stock and my records show that the last (and only) group recorded was .940" for 5 shots at 100 meters using 120gr. Rem. bulk bullets...

The little #7 in .223 I own is still in it's original rubber stock and it averages just under .6" for 3 shots with Rem. bulk bullets...

So if anybody out there is having problems getting their light barreled #7's to shoot try some barrel pressure before you give up on the rifle...
smile

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
skybuster20ga,

Since you asked, I don't mind sharing some of my reloads for the 350 Mag, mostly because they are with 1 exception straight out of loading manuals, regarding COL, powder types/charges, etc. So, don't expect any earth shattering revelations:

These were shot out of my Ruger MK II w/22" barrel. The loads are listed in no particular order. The cases are of course Remington and accuracy is at 100 yards:

1) Speer 220 gr w/54 gr of H322 (Speer # 13 Manual)at a COL of 2.74", using CCI 200 primer. Average MV of about 2,560 fps, which is max velocity listed in the manual but is 1 gr short of the listed max powder charge. Accuracy is around 1". I've used this for deer the 2 last seasons and it has worked well.

2) Speer 220 gr w/58 or 59 gr of IMR 4320 (I don't have my notes in front of me) at the same COL & primer as listed above. The average MV was around the same as listed above. Both the powder charge and MV are below max, as listed in Speer # 13 Manual.

2) Barnes 200 TSX w/63 gr of TAC at a COL of 2.78" using Federal Large Rifle Magnum Match Primer. The primer is the only component I changed from what was in the Barnes # 4 Manual, since this is all I had. However, I started testing with the starting load listed in the Barnes Manual and went up 1 grain at a time until I reached the Barnes listed book max powder charge (which is 64 gr). At 63 gr of TAC, the average MV was 2,884 fps with a 1.5" group. I should add that the COL of 2.78" listed in the Barnes # 4 Manual placed the bullet .080" off of my rifle lands. I have since shot some reloads only changing the seating depth closer to the lands but the accuracy got progressively worse. So, I need to start increasing that distance to the lands to see if accuracy improves (though there's nothing wrong with a 1.5" group, at least to me). The Barnes TSX bullets appear to be somewhat tempermental as to the seating depth.

4) Speer 220 gr w/60 gr of H4831 with CCI 200 Primer. I'm not sure of the COL but it is listed in the 2004 Hodgdon Reloading Manual. This achieved an average MV of 2,080 fps and a 1.5" group. Though the case is full of powder, this is obviously a reduced velocity/pressure load, which is fun to shoot. Since most of my shots are 100 yards or closer, I may try this load this coming deer season to see how it works. From what I've read, it should go ok.

That's all I can offer from 1st hand experience. I'm sure someone with alot more reloading experience will chime in. BTW, I absolutely drool every time I see a photo of Remington's Model 7 Custom Shop MS in 350 Mag (or any other caliber for that matter).

Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you do.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
pretty loyal to the speer 220gr eh? thanks for sharing. its interesting to see how accuracy compares to other rifles of the same model and caliber w/ similar loads. ive heard lots of good things about the speer 220gr for the .350 on deer sized game. some reason im still hesitant to try them.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
No need to change if you have had success with the bullet you're using. I understand that completely.

Based on your comments above, I take it that you have a 35 caliber rifle. If you don't mind my asking, what bullet(s) are you using in what caliber? Just curious. I'm never too old to learn.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
i have a pair of 350 mags. 1 673 and a mod 7. i alo hyave a 35 remington pump and two 35 whelen pumps, one of which is a carbine and i also have a 35 whelen in model 750. in my whelens other then both 200 and 250 gr psp and an occasioinal box when i can find them of 250gr sp i have only tried 180gr. barnes XFB. w/ 52gr. of R7 (what the manual #3 calls for) velocity was a cool 2800 fps which isnt to shabby out of an 18.5" barrel. i diodnt not get to kill anything w/ the barnes bullet though other then a stack of cabelas mags taped together. accuracy seemed "okay" as i shoot irons or apature sights w/ the insert removed. at 60yds i could keep a clip full in a 2.5" circle.

out of my 350 mags i havnt done any loading at all yet. i have used the nosler pt 225 that they load and the factory ammo w/ satisfactory results, again, iron sights. on game performance hasnt been an issue. i actually just picked up the dies for the 350 about a month ago. im in the market for a few good deer loads so to speak. i alway like tryin new stuff.

for me its about trying new bullets for terminal performance comparisons rather then accuracy.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've been using the 220 Speer with 60 grains of Winchester 748. Have used the same load with a 225 Nosler Petition for 2660 fps from a 22" M700 Classic barrel. As I recall it was running 2550 from the 18.5" M600.

A friend has shot 4 black bear with the 220 Speer from his M673. All DRT. Only one bullet didn't pass through. It was nicely mushroomed after passing through the shoulder and down through the lungs.

The deer I have shot with the .350 and .358 Winchester using the Speer 220 either dropped or didn't make 35 yards...

Get a Lee Factory Crimp Die...they work great in keeping deeply seated bullets in place.

Bob

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
skybuster20ga,

Wow! You really have some nice 35 cal rifles. Though I'm fairly new to reloading, I've found the 350 Mag easy to load for. I've gotten good hunting accuracy without much fuss. Reloading for this caliber greatly increases its flexibility, mostly due to the lack of factory ammo offerings. Good luck in your reloading efforts. If I can do it, anyone can.

RJM,

+1 on the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Though the 350 Mag requires a custom order from Lee, it was well worth it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Bob,

I have one that I purchased off the used gun rack at a local dealer. Most KS's I've seen are grey, but mine happens to be CAMO. Sakoluvr sp? also has one. I hunted with mine the 1st year I owned it and shot an 8 Pt with it at about 80 Yds. Dropped like a stone. Bullet was W-W 250 gr FN that was meant for the 356 Winnie. I believe mine has a Brown Precision stock on it. As it has a P/G ala Browning round knob. Weighs 5 3/4 lbs naked. Very handy. smile I've not fired it since that shot. blush

GH

Hey Edward, long time no talk!

Yep, I have one and love it! Same gun as Grasshopper's (Edward). It has become my go to rifle. I liked it so much that I pimped it up a bit. I had karl kampfeld bed it for me, cerekote the metal, replaced the stamped mag follower with SS, flute the bolt, tactical/hunter bolt knob.....and it is a sweet ride. I wore the camo paint on the stock from using it so much, so I had it re-done this spring with olive/black webbing- same cerekote olive as the metal. I will post pics if interested. Shoting Woodleigh's out of it, and have no reason to change.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,776
Posts18,495,819
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.