-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Netflix is running a deal where I would be able to rent 1 DVD at a time for $8.95 a month. I assume I would be able to rent about 2 movies per week which would work out to around a buck a movie. That seems pretty good to me anyway. It also includes unlimited online movie watching and you can watch unlimited streaming movies if your TV or player supports it. My big motivation to look at this service is because I was looking at getting a Blu Ray player and I assume Netflix would have a lot bigger selection of those than any neighborhood video store.

What do you guys think?

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use it... love the streaming video that works most but not all of the time... I live out in the sticks and the DSL isn't very fast here...

They are fast about sending the next DVD out as soon as I mail in the old one too...

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure about the blue ray, but I do use the netfix both through the mail, and watching on the PC. Nothing to it, if you lose one you just tell them on line that you sent it in, no questions asked.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cool thanks for the input. What kind of picture quality does the streaming have? I assume it isn't HD.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Not sure about the blue ray, but I do use the netfix both through the mail, and watching on the PC. Nothing to it, if you lose one you just tell them on line that you sent it in, no questions asked.

I'm looking at an LG Blu Ray player that has a network cable input. It allows you to connect the player to your home network if you want to play mp3s or saved movies off a hard drive. It also alows you to connect to Netflix online and play streaming movies on your TV through the Blu Ray player. I think it is a great combination.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Outlaw, we've been using it for about 2 years on the same kinda deal...no complaints. We haven't had regular tv for 14 years and the minor gap that exists, netflix fills well.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You might have a hard time getting two movies a week with 1 at a time. I get 2 at a time, and I generaly average 8-9 movies a month. Can't complain about the service though. I've received one cracked and one stayed at my neighbor's house for 3 or 4 days (he didn't watch it, just didn't get around to bringing it over) and both times Netflick sent me replacements without any hassle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Cool thanks for the input. What kind of picture quality does the streaming have? I assume it isn't HD.

I would call it adequate, not dvd quality if you go full screen. If you put a pair of earplugs in and turn out the lights to watch in bed, it's like you are in a little theater.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The streaming is the wave of the future. Some predict the arrival of DVD's will seem archaic. Netflix is expecting to be out of the DVD business in the future and the streaming video will be the norm. You can get a "cable box" of sorts right now to play the streaming stuff on your TV.

As it is the streaming video is not movie quality. I signed up for it for those times the kids need to be at the office and I can easily entertain them with cartoons and stuff.

Overall I have been very satisfied with Netflix (also out in the sticks) and am catching up on movies. I could never remember to return the Red Box or store stuff on time, no penalty on Netflix.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use it at the $8.95 rate and get about 2 movies per week. It works very well. The online viewing is gravy as far as I am concerned, some great older movies on there!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by supercrewd
The streaming is the wave of the future. Some predict the arrival of DVD's will seem archaic. Netflix is expecting to be out of the DVD business in the future and the streaming video will be the norm. You can get a "cable box" of sorts right now to play the streaming stuff on your TV.

As it is the streaming video is not movie quality. I signed up for it for those times the kids need to be at the office and I can easily entertain them with cartoons and stuff.

Overall I have been very satisfied with Netflix (also out in the sticks) and am catching up on movies. I could never remember to return the Red Box or store stuff on time, no penalty on Netflix.

Not so fast. I read an article a while back that said all the streaming was putting a strain on the servers and there is talk about making users pay for upgraded accounts for watching the streaming..that's sure to kill off some of the popularity. I know I wouldn't pay for any increase.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I use it. every once in a while a DVD gets to the hous thats broken or cracked or otherwise unplayable. you go onto the website and tell them and they send another the same day.
the best this about them is they have a lot of old movies. i just finished the 1951 "when worlds collide" and Johnny got his Gun. i have seen all the Akira Kurosawa movies. They also have Tino Bass flicks (if your so inclined) and Stars channel live that you can watch on the computer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use it at the $8.95 rate and get about 2 movies per week. It works very well. The online viewing is gravy as far as I am concerned, some great older movies on there!

Same deal here, and I love it. I'm in the sticks too, and near as I can tell, the movies pass in the mail! Drop 'em in the box Monday, and the next 2 are here Wednesday.

The older movies are the draw for me. There are only 2 movie rental stores within 25 miles of home, and both mainly deal in new releases.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
heres just a sample... find these at blockbusters

All Akira Kurosawa Movies
Add Kurosawa: A Documentary (2002) NR

Add Madadayo (2000) NR

Add Rhapsody in August (1991)
Hachigatsu no Rapusod� PG

PlayAddAdd Akira Kurosawa's Dreams (1990)
Yume / Dreams PG

Add Ran (1985) R

Add Kagemusha (1980)
The Shadow Warrior
(Bonus materials available separately) PG

Add Dersu Uzala (1975) NR

Add Dodes'ka-Den (1970)
Dodesukaden / D� desu ka den / Dodeskaden / Clickety-Clack NR

Add Red Beard (1965)
Akahige NR

In Q High and Low (1963)
Tengoku to Jigoku / Heaven and Hell UR

Add Sanjuro (1962) UR

Add Yojimbo (1961)
Yojimbo the Bodyguard UR

Add The Bad Sleep Well (1960)
Warui Yatsu Hodo Yoku Nemuru NR

Add Hidden Fortress (1958) UR

Add Throne of Blood (1957)
Kumonosu Jo NR

Add The Lower Depths (1957)
Donzoko UR

Add I Live in Fear: Record of a Living Being (1955)
Ikimono No Kiroku NR

Add Seven Samurai (1954)
Shichinin no samurai UR

Add Ikiru (1952)
(Bonus materials available separately) UR

Add The Idiot (1951)
Hakuchi NR

Add Rashomon (1950) UR

Add Stray Dog (1949)
Nora inu PG

Add The Quiet Duel (1949)
Shizukanaru Ketto NR

Add Drunken Angel (1948)
Yoidore tenshi NR

Add No Regrets for Our Youth (1946)
Waga Seishun Ni Kuinashi NR

Add One Wonderful Sunday (1946)
Subarashiki Nichiyobi NR

Add Scandal (1946)
Shubun NR

Save Sanshiro Sugata 2 (1945)
Zoku Sugata Sanshiro / Judo Saga II / Judo Story II NR

Save They Who Step on Tiger's Tail (1945)
Tora no o wo fumu otokotachi NR

Save The Most Beautiful (1944)
Ichiban utsukushiku NR

Save Sanshiro Sugata (1943)
Sugata Sanshiro / Judo Saga / Judo Story

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by supercrewd

Not so fast. I read an article a while back that said all the streaming was putting a strain on the servers and there is talk about making users pay for upgraded accounts for watching the streaming..that's sure to kill off some of the popularity. I know I wouldn't pay for any increase.

I did say it was the wave of the future, not the present. I would cancel if I had to pay for the streaming right now.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the 3 movies at a time package and average 15 movies a month. I have a lot of down time at work and watch movies. Where else can you find all your favorite westerns from the 50's and 60's?

One nice thing is you can reserve movies before they even come out at the theaters. Whenever I see a preview of a movie I want to see, I add it to my queue, and it will put it on my list as soon as it becomes available. No more forgetting about new movies I want to see.

The online streaming is good with a high speed conection. I watch it on my TV through an XBox 360.

I will be adding the Blu-ray ability soon as I just bought a blu-ray player.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Signed up for the 1 DVD plan for 8.99/month 2 days ago.

Already watching my first movie right now- "Bourne Ultimatum."

MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

The wife and I do the one DVD Netflix deal. Works out well for us. Been pretty reliable.

- Tom

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I live right near a Netflix distribution center so I get mine overnight most of the time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.