-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was too old to fly A-10s, but I'd be ecstatic to EAT one of those. MMMMMMM! Pulled wartie BBQ sandwiches!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Wow what a hog!
Very nice indeed.
Frank

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A picture of my warty, not as big, but just as ugly and finally cleaner:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by goodnews; 07/18/09.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dat is cool lookin'.... cool
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys are killing me! All these warties and me at least two years away from my next trip. Keep posting, I love to anticipate.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed about a half-dozen warthogs and always loved hunting them.

The buggers DO take a bullet.

About the closest I've come to getting hurt by a critter (other than riding a six-point bull elk down a snowy canyon wall for a couple hundred yards) was by a warthog. We were stalking up a thin trail in the thorn bush, looking for bushbuck, and met with a big warthog who was walking down HIS trail.

I knelt down and planted a bullet solidly in the center of his chest.

He had no respect whatever for the bullet and the next thing I saw was the sumbitch running at full tilt squarely at us.

Oh CRAP!!

Apparently, I stood up and I remember planting the second bullet in his forehead. Dead On Delivery and the big hog rolled right up to our feet.

My guide then whispered, "Schit, next time don't wait sooo long to shoot."

OK, well heck, I thought it was pretty fast. But what do I know? grin

During the fracas, one of our Blacks managed to climb about ten feet up a thorn tree of some kind. I guess climbing up the tree made sense, in light of the rapidly appraching hog. It took about ten minutes to talk him out of the thorns and sticker thingies. I'll never forget him saying over and over, "Boss, it HURTS ... Boss, it HURTS ... Boss, it HURTS."

Warthogs are very, very, very cool. Love 'em.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive already chimed in here a few times, obviously love the Warthogs too.....
Spent a LOT of time looking for a whopper...the likes of which weve seen on this thread....and not much actual trigger time.
Killed a couple, and my wife got one.....But just prior to her shooting hers, we saw the "whopper" from the truck...
Slam the brakes, bail out, hand guns off...I wanted her to shoot it and we were all so excited, no one noticed the Black Rhino 50 yds. away....guns handed back..bail back on...exit..stage left! laugh
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pictures, pigs, and stories cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My best warthog is on my webpage at Big Five Safaris, Hannes Swanepoel PH...almost 18 inches and thick tusks..A real beauty..

BTW, I have shot literally hundreds, maybe a thousand Javalinas and they are not aggressive, in fact the most dangerous thing about a Javalina is they will make you hurt yourself! smile They have been the subject of many horror stories, and its all nonsence and propoganda. They are in fact a very timid creature the make a lot of noise popping their teeth and cause folks to over react.

Warthogs on the other hand will charge on ocassion and could do a lot of damgage in that they may weigh 300 pounds as opposed to a Javalina that might go 25 pounds on rare ocassions, and that also stirs the blood of some who claim 50 pounders.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Ray
I have read stories of rampant Javalina, and kind of thought of them like terriers. It is good to hear accurate accounts. As kids we used to go into the hog yards and sneak up and grab a piglet and run. the sows gave chase and I got lots of pant legs ripped, but never any stitches before clearing the fence. Never got out of the yard with a piglet though. Man I was stupid as a kid.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I would get on a plane tomorrow if we were going to Africa to hunt nothing but warthogs and baboons.

Still trying to "better" this one (14"), but I haven't crossed paths with a bigger one yet.

[Linked Image]

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by new_guy
I would get on a plane tomorrow if we were going to Africa to hunt nothing but warthogs and baboons.

You have named two of the three critters that are starting to draw me to Africa (Cape buff being the other).

I wonder where the best spot to go to hunt all three would be?

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder ...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cmg
I wonder ...

Peter and I have only chatted about buff... Do you mean that there is good wartie and baboon hunting there too?

<sorry for the "inside chat" guys>

John

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jpb

I wonder where the best spot to go to hunt all three would be?

John

My vote goes to Zim!
Ingwe

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Medicineman,
I was raised on a ranch with an over abundance of Javalina and shot them for my dad at 25 cents apiece with a stevens single shot. The are death and destruction on new fence line cedar posts and most desert water lines are plastic pipe and just covered with dirt and Javalina will just bite a hole in the pipe and get a drink, and some mornings your water line looks like a huge sprinkler system!! That is why and how I bought my first rifle..

I have raised a lot of baby Javalinas, they do well on bananas btw and they will run at you and stick their head up your pant legs and hide! As they grow older, and being raised by humans they can get mean and aggressive as they have no fear of man, much like a bear or any other animal...

A wild Javalina is scary acting but I have stood in the middle of them and shot them all around me as they ran between my legs and around me popping their teeth like a machine gun, never saw one get aggressive..What they will do is charge in your direction because they are practically blind, if they bump into you they just bounce back an scurry off...

A veryt young Javalina is very good table fair when bar b qued over Mesquite coals..Javalina in the Texas Trans Pecos are not so good as the Javalina of the lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas. The Trans Pecos Javalina has a diet of mostly Lechegia and makes the meat really stong. Lions, coyotes feed on them regularly and that keeps the deer herd from getting hammered..You smell them and hear them popping their teeth before you see them in many cases.

Very interresting animal, the Javalina..I got a lot of enjoyment just watching them and studying their habits....

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
While on a 30 day hunt in Mozambique back in the early '60s a companion had a bullet get deflected by some branch and ended up just barely hitting the hog low in the middle of his body.....opening up his belly.

At the time we didn't know where the warthog was hit until a bit later on his trail we found parts of his intestines on the ground. This continued all day, finding bits and pieces that were torn out by his hind feet as he ran.

He wouldn't have lasted the night but the PH and our group stayed on his trail for miles until we caught up to him standing in very thick brush. We approached to about 50' and the PH dispatched him with the client's '06.

At nearly a thousand bucks per day (at today's money) that was one very expensive warthog. But stuff like that can happen to anyone. A warthog is one tough sumabitch !!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,078
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.