Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
We leave for Nambia at 1030 am from Amarillo,on July 26 and arrive in Windhoek, Nambia at 730 am on July 28, for 10 days of whacking and stacking. I will try to keep updates via internet here on the fire, if its available. Hopefully I will have alot of pictures to post. Any last minute advice from you Africa veterans? This is our first trip.

Toby Joe

Last edited by TOBYJOETRUBY; 07/24/09.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Travel safe and Have a Blast

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

L
L
I've been to namibia 3 times, do not overpack, your clothes will be done daily, wear one set, one set in carry on in case your bags get lost and one set in your ck bag. take lots of pictures and enjoy yourself, it is easier than you think GOOD LUCK, GOOD HUNTING AND GOD SPEED.

REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by loyburkes
do not overpack, your clothes will be done daily, wear one set, one set in carry on in case your bags get lost and one set in your ck bag. take lots of pictures and enjoy yourself,

+1.....make sure to slow down enough to take it all in...it will go by fast and the next thing you know your back in Texas wondering what happened.

rej

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take half the clothes and twice the money you think you'll need and you will be just fine. Have a great trip!!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
IC B2

E
EJ_ Offline
E
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Take half the clothes and twice the money you think you'll need and you will be just fine. Have a great trip!!

Mike

+1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good advice in the above posts.

I second the one about slowing down. I often have hunters needing long precious huntings days to walk off stress before the can begin to hunt.

Do not worry to much about us at the fire we will be here when you get back.

Try to dive in, not just visit.

Best wishes for your trip.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Start saving your money to go again...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have ammo packed into more than one suitcase. Put some in wifeys as well. If One or more bags gets delayed or lost you can still shoot and hunt. This practice has saved more than one hunt.

Do not aim, as you would with American game animals, behind the foreleg and dead center. African plains game carries thier stuff further forward and lower than NA deer. On a pure broadside shot aim directly in line with the foreleg and only 1/3 the way up from the brisket. 1/2 the way up or higher and behind the leg can miss all the goodies on some African animals.

As above, enjoy the whole experience! Take it in a write in a journal every day. Amazing how many details we can forget in just a few years. Good luck and good hunting. MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TOBYJOETRUBY
We leave for Nambia at 1030 am from Amarillo,on July 26 and arrive in Windhoek, Nambia at 730 am on July 28, for 10 days of whacking and stacking. I will try to keep updates via internet here on the fire, if its available. Hopefully I will have alot of pictures to post. Any last minute advice from you Africa veterans? This is our first trip.

Toby Joe

The proper form of greeting for the SA Customs agents is "Gaan kak in die mielies." If you say this, you are assured of preferential treatment......

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by safariman
Have ammo packed into more than one suitcase. Put some in wifeys as well. If One or more bags gets delayed or lost you can still shoot and hunt. This practice has saved more than one hunt.

Do not aim, as you would with American game animals, behind the foreleg and dead center. African plains game carries thier stuff further forward and lower than NA deer. On a pure broadside shot aim directly in line with the foreleg and only 1/3 the way up from the brisket. 1/2 the way up or higher and behind the leg can miss all the goodies on some African animals.

As above, enjoy the whole experience! Take it in a write in a journal every day. Amazing how many details we can forget in just a few years. Good luck and good hunting. MARK

Sage advice! Good luck and good shooting. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by badger

Toby Joe

The proper form of greeting for the SA Customs agents is "Gaan kak in die mielies." If you say this, you are assured of preferential treatment......

Yes indeed! This translates to: "Your mother is an aids infected Baboon" Preferential treatment will surely be yours!

Have a great time. Shoot, but do not eat, the baboons.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Things can sometimes work on "Africa time",go with the flow...

This is supposed to be fun!

Take pictures of everything,some of my best memories are from photos with out dead animals in them.LOL

Good hunting,

Dinsdale

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Have a great Trip!
Look forward to hearing from you when you get back.
Mark

NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Have a BLAST!!!!

I went for the first time last year and when I go again I will definitely take more pictures...Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!

Take pictures of everything and have a small-pocket camera on you at all times!!!

Its my only regret...but I will make it right the next time... laugh

Good Luck and Safe Hunting!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love that anticipation! I'm leaving on my third Dall Sheep hunt next month, and the anticipation is as much, if not more, than the first time!
As far as the "pictures" advice you are getting......I'm always a little embarrassed to ask the guide to take a picture of me (outside of with the dead animal, usually a guide will take pictures of this until you ask them to stop); I'm talking about just a pic of you and the scenery. Some of those shots are my favorite.
Have a great time,
Don

Last edited by docdb; 07/25/09.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Joe's BeerHouse in Windhoek, its a ritual. Going next month myself.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Toby Joe

Know how you feel - I'm 4 1/2 days away from departure. Second trip to Africa but first for DG there. More work to get ready this time, especially with the loads, rifles and shooting practice than the first time for PG only. Anticipation is only now beginnig to build, the real work of getting ready had kept me too busy until this weekend.

Agree with the advice about the packing. My duffle for this trip is 1/2 the weight for my trips to AK. I'm not complaining though. PHs in Africa seem to be excellent at both setting up the post-shot photos and the photography. Take advantage of your PH taking pics with your camera, they'll make great memories. Shoot straight and good luck.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman

This is the truth!

I'll make it simple.

If it eats grass, hit it broadside low on the shoulder. That's where the goodies are. (Gemsbok just a little higher, I find) They are not built like humans.

If it eats YOU, then the heart is low and behind the shoulder, the lungs are higher than in the grass eaters. They are built like we are. We are predators.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just thought of another tip. It has been said here already but I will put it another way to drive home the point and hopefully help you avoid a common pitfall... We have a saying that goes like this: The Mexicans may have invented 'manyana', but the Africans PERFECTED it!

It was suggested that the timetables work a little differently there and to try to relax. If you go with the Americans typical propensity for trying to get the most out of each day in terms of goals accomplished you can ruin your trip as well as piss of the Africans all at the same time. Just another way of saying, as others here have, to relax.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.