Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3140494 07/04/09
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm Flying to Namibia tommorrow via Frankfurt. This is my first trip of this sort. Anyway, I'm packing today and was wondering what is the best way to tag and identify my rifle case which is a Pelican 1750. Should I use a regular luggage tag or some other means? Also, I have followed the advise of others that post here and put an extra set of locks inside the case and removed the bolt from my rifle and place in a seperate pocket cut in the foam liner.

Any advise appreciated.

GB1

REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ohhunter1 - I applied to stickers (one at both ends) with contact info on the gun case. I also had 2 luggage tags on the handle and put contact info inside the case. Never had an issue. You can really save some time at the Windhoek airport if you have the Namibia gun permit filled out before you get there. Get ready for the trip of your life.....looking forward to the pics and stories......enjoy....rej

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ohhunter1 - I forgot to say that the luggage tags had the PH's contact and address. That way if the guns got lost they would end up at the PH's ranch....rej

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Putting the ID of another person on a gun case is not gonna work going to RSA. They will hold them at the permit office until the owner with the 7 pieces of needed info arrives to collect them.

I have used a sharpie to write name and address on the case, then use laminated contact paper to apply name and address to each side, and then double luggage tags on the handle. The lamintated address cards on the sides did not last long, they scraped off. on the ends they worked perfectly. Using the sharpie on the sides was great, then covered them with clear contact paper to prevent getting rubbed off.

I've lost luggage tags from the handles more times then I can count, if that is the only thing a guy does for ID.... I wish him good luck with that! Additionally with the spare locks in the case, an ID or business card inside will sort out the worst lost luggage issues. Eventually they will open it and see the protected ID inside and have the spare locks to secure it back to your doorstep.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Something that I've done that will work for the plastic type gun cases, but not the aluminum ones, is to heat a screwdriver or other metal utensil and then carve your name, address, etc. into the plastic. That way, it is there no matter what and is virtually impossible for someone or something to remove it. I suppose a good bit on a dremel would do the same thing. You can either leave it like that, which is quite inconspicuous, or you can fill the letters, numbers, etc. with the white, paint-like Sharpies so that it can easily be seen. Just a redneck, backwoods option!
Test

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats great info!

When I had my case done with the sharpie and then I moved to Eastern Wa. I had to redo the info on the case. I tried all kinds of things to get that dried on contact paper off. It was a massive difficulty. I eventually used a pad sander with 400 grit paper. I buffed it down to shiny aluminum and then wrote the new address in the same place and covered it again.

This drill was good to see just how difficult it is to remove the name even with a sander!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Cabelas Alum case came with an order form for an engraved plate from the Manufacturer. I had it done and have had no problems with it. It has a permanent adhesive like we used to use in industry for property tags. Made for a nice neat job, placed on edge of case next to handle.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I took my aluminum Cabela's case and put printed mailing labels on both ends, the top, and both sides. I then bought some large skateboard decals (very colorful and eyecatching) and put them on both sides. That way I could spot the case easily in a busy airport crowd.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I took my aluminum Cabela's case and put printed mailing labels on both ends, the top, and both sides. I then bought some large skateboard decals (very colorful and eyecatching) and put them on both sides. That way I could spot the case easily in a busy airport crowd.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also used a black Sharpie to print my name and address on my Cabelas aluminum case. I printed this info on the edge between the lock and the handle, so anyone picking up the case can't miss seeing it.

I also have the orange plastic name case that I got from Gracy Travel in 2000 attached to the handle. This name case has lasted for 3 trips to Africa, including multiple transfers in the US, South Africa, and Zimbabwe, and for two Canadian trips.

To make my case more visible, I masked off 6"x6"x12" triangles on each of the 8 corners of my case, and painted them with flourescent orange paint. Several times, I've been able to spot my case on the baggage cart or on the baggage conveyor into the plane.

I like the idea of mail labels, and just put two of them on my case.

I also just noticed a stick on label on my case that has a bar code and my name on it. It must have been put on my case by South African Airlines, as it also has the initials JNB on it.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have powderpuff girls and hannah montana stickers all over mine. i think it may discourage theft.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

You simply cannot leave too many clues as to your identity in a gun case. Taped business cards, writing your address with a Sharpy inside and outside the gun case and under the foam.

I had a pair of caribou horns recovered from my hunt in the Yukon because I'd triple Scotch taked half a dozen of my business cards at various places on the rack.

A year after the hunt, I inquired about my caribou antlers and eventually the RCMP told me that the outfitter was in jail for wildlife offenses.

Six months later, a taxidermist in Tacoma called me at our store and wanted to know what to do with the "mystery antlers" that someone had just dropped off at his shop.

The "mystery antlers" were my lovely double-shovel caribou and there was ONE business card still attached to the antlers.

You simply cannot label too much.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ringworm
i have powderpuff girls and hannah montana stickers all over mine.

I would expect nothing less . . . . . . cool

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
its easy to identify at the airport, it deters theft and i still have it 7 years and countless thousand of air miles later.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Might be careful with that barcode. Next time you go to Canada for a hunting trip, your rifles might wind up in JNB (Jo'burg Airport). I generally remove ALL airline applied tags/stickers on all my baggage once I get to my final destination.

(One exception, once I had a well-traveled, large roll-on. Leaving Don Muang Airport, they put a large pink "Searched by Bankok Security" tape on it. I left that tape on it for years, and I've always wondered how many times that bag may have skipped a thorough search due to the sticker.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,687
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.