Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3146191 - 07/10/09 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: ironbender]  
zimhunter Offline
Campfire Regular
zimhunter  Offline
Campfire Regular

Green Valley, Az
This is the only website I consistently have problems with. I haven't made any of the changes and really don't intend to. It is NOT my systemm or computer or software as it is doing the same thing on any of three machines I use. A dell desktop running XP a Compaq Laptop running Vista and this Netbook running XP.My service is thru cox cable. I have difficulty loading most of the time when I have trouble. I get the message 'Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage'. The other problem is navigating within when I finally DO log on. You hit the return and it just freeezes. Enjoy participating when I can but it is definitely becoming one of my less preferred sites because of these problems. Itis the ONLY site I experience these difficulties with.

CMG 300 BP

#3147786 - 07/11/09 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: zimhunter]  
1OntarioJim Online content
Campfire Guide
1OntarioJim  Online Content
Campfire Guide

N. Shore, L. Ontario
Ditto!

#3167107 - 07/19/09 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: RickBin]  
twosixfour Offline
twosixfour  Offline

West Coast USA
Hate to be a gadfly but designing a website that doesn't work with Explorer is a really bad idea.

Explorer has about a 75% share of the market.

I used to do this for a living and I know what I am talking about. Cleaning caches and other ways of optimizing your browser isn't going to correct poor web protocols.

This board is based on a system [UBB] that has a record of trouble going back many years.

My fear is that this great group of people are going to eventually tire of the site not loading correctly or whatever the problem is.

#3178135 - 07/24/09 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: twosixfour]  
RAS2 Offline
Campfire Guide
RAS2  Offline
Campfire Guide

west Pa.
loaded and ran ccleaner already had java. faster, but my Zlib is enabled help.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
#3245040 - 08/21/09 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: RAS2]  
hotsoup Online content
Campfire Tracker
hotsoup  Online Content
Campfire Tracker

this is, without a doubt, the slowest loading, most troublesome web site i visit (or try to visit) daily. i use windows xp, explorer, kaspersky, java, and others, along with high speed sat. feed, and rarely have speed issues on the other gun/hunting-related sites. i'll keep trying because i enjoy this site.

Alpha

#3249045 - 08/23/09 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: ironbender]  
baltz526 Offline
Campfire Regular
baltz526  Offline
Campfire Regular

lapine oregon
couple days ago while being logged on to 24hr, my computer locked up, Mcafee security blocked access and had to update my security and clean my cumputer. fine now

The anti American Constitutional party. Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds your constitutional rights so they can control you. Control is the goal.
#3313138 - 09/17/09 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: ironbender]  
dave284 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
dave284  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

W.V.
Generated in 0.024 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

I'm a computer dummie. How's this and what the heck is Zlib compression? Should it be enabled or disabled?

Thanks,
Dave.

"Then the women got the vote, and everything went to hell.... Drinking and gambling and whoring were declared unlawful. " ... Tector Crites

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

www.wvcdl.org
#4328396 - 08/15/10 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: dave284]  
saddlesore Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
saddlesore  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
I have a brand new computer, new software, IE8. the works.All other web sites load in a flash.This is the only website I visit that is slow. Usually at least 30 seconds to load and then the same when moving from page to page. also the only web site that I frequent that requires Adobe Flash Player and Java.I belive they are only required for all the advertisements

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
#7398624 - 02/03/13 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: saddlesore]  
Jocko_Slugshot Offline
Campfire Guide
Jocko_Slugshot  Offline
Campfire Guide

De-tox
I did the things that Rick recommended and performance has vastly improved plus, chicks think I'm hot.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
#8203476 - 10/29/13 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: saddlesore]  
rcamuglia Offline
Campfire Guide
rcamuglia  Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have a brand new computer, new software, IE8. the works.All other web sites load in a flash.This is the only website I visit that is slow. Usually at least 30 seconds to load and then the same when moving from page to page. also the only web site that I frequent that requires Adobe Flash Player and Java.I belive they are only required for all the advertisements

Same here. I'm not having problems with any other site but the 'Fire!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Bravo

#8552697 - 02/06/14 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: RickBin]  
local_dirt Offline
Campfire Outfitter
local_dirt  Offline
Campfire Outfitter

south of south
Rick,
I'm trying to find the tutorial on posting pics. Can you guide me to it?

Thanks

No Ma'am. It's not my glasses that are crooked. It's my face.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.
#8553805 - 02/06/14 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: local_dirt]  
Whttail_in_MT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Whttail_in_MT  Offline
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by local_dirt
Rick,
I'm trying to find the tutorial on posting pics. Can you guide me to it?

Thanks

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/696239/1

#8569108 - 02/10/14 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: Whttail_in_MT]  
backtobethel Offline
Campfire Regular
backtobethel  Offline
Campfire Regular

The Good Life
Security settings at work coupled with the ever-increasing amount of ads/script running on the 'fire have made it impossible/unbearable to view the forum during downtime at work. Maybe that is a good thing for work . . . but I don't think it's a good thing for the forum.

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
#9469221 - 12/31/14 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: backtobethel]  
BamaSig75 Offline
BamaSig75  Offline

Alabama
I'm new here and was having the same problem with just this site (everything else ran fine). I don't know why it would matter for here but I changed my DNS servers to google ones instead of my ISP's and it's working fine now.

#9469882 - 12/31/14 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: BamaSig75]  
elkivory Offline
Campfire Guide
elkivory  Offline
Campfire Guide

colorado
use to be my favorite site..now getting sick of even tring to get here let alone go through it...what a shame...someone here knows why this is an issue and I suspect it has to do with greed or ignorance, but then again, I am ignorant and frustrated with using the internet in general...bottom line is this isn't near as fun as it use to be..i am not going to try to read all the bs needed to make this site work for me anymore because I do not want to spent over an hour waiting to read each suggestion inbetween clicks to straighten this joke out..i suggest if you want long time users to keep coming back, you personally pm us so we can get the fix within only 15 minutes...pissed in Colorado, "elk"

Last edited by elkivory; 12/31/14.
#9469898 - 12/31/14 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: BamaSig75]  
elkivory Offline
Campfire Guide
elkivory  Offline
Campfire Guide

colorado
huh ??

Last edited by elkivory; 12/31/14.
#9470360 - 12/31/14 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: elkivory]  
Whttail_in_MT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Whttail_in_MT  Offline
Campfire Tracker

I'm pretty sure you can download and install Firefox and the Adblock add-on in 15 minutes. Hopefully that wasn't too much bs for you to read.

#9470382 - 12/31/14 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: elkivory]  
BamaSig75 Offline
BamaSig75  Offline

Alabama

#9503657 - 01/11/15 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: BamaSig75]  
keith Offline
Campfire Guide
keith  Offline
Campfire Guide

There are so many ads running on this site, my computer will not handle it, I have a DSL connection, done all the scrubbing.

time to move on, I am out of here.

#9564223 - 02/01/15 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: RickBin]  
kingston Offline
Campfire Outfitter
kingston  Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I too was having lots of trouble with this site and just added the AdBlock extension to my browser (Google Chrome) and problem solved! Here is a link to their site (https://getadblock.com). I even ended up sending them $5, they ask for users to determine what they want to pay.

I hope this helps.

#10116224 - 07/08/15 Re: IF THE CAMPFIRE SEEMS SLOW FOR YOU, READ THIS: [Re: RickBin]  
William_E_Tibbe Offline
Campfire Regular
William_E_Tibbe  Offline
Campfire Regular

Afton, Jackson, Teton, Wyoming
This is really great info.

I was very troubled about the slowness, and deterioration, of navigating the website hunting forums. It became impossible to log on the the past couple of days.

I have a very fast computer only a couple of years old and i use windows 8.1.

I also hire Guruaid and pay them a handsome sum annually for trouble shooting and cleanup. I phoned them yesterday and explained the problem which was that I could go to other websites and all was just fine. They said it was a local site problem and they couldn't help.

So the plot thickens !? I could navigate everywhere on 24 hour campfire just fine, fast and effortless EXCEPT the hunting forums.

I plundered around on my own trying several things: Norton Scan, deleted some stuff, to no avail. In frustration I downloaded Firefox. They noted that I was an old customer, welcomed me back, installed and updated. I then opened 24 Hour Campfire in Firefox and logged on in a flash ! Navigated all over the forum quickly and easily !!!!!!???????

I have no idea what occurred but it worked. I'm calling special attention to the above poster who mentioned Firefox/Google Chrome - Spot on.

It's a bit early yet for me to go back and evaluate any improvements in Internet Explorer, MSN, my browsed of choice but I will follow up.

I've been at this computer thing since it's original introduction and seen and experienced everything and one thing i can count on is the mysteries. There are so many elements, hackers, updated, vagaries, gremlins, glitches.

I have at least 4 four matters unresolved that I can't get answers to or solutions. And I suspect that I probably never will. Fortunately these are very peripheral and don't affect my regular use.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 07/08/15.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160 1
Who's Online Now
213 registered members (175rltw, 19352012, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 117LBS, 18 invisible), 693 guests, and 381 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Copyright © 2000-2018 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.