Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by TC1
The quad rail and retractable stock are pretty much worthless in the woods.

They may not be your bag but don't ya think "worthless" is a little extreme??

I personally like the MagPul CTR stock and having the ability to easily shorten a rifle's overall length for carry/storage/use in tight spots is a BIG plus.

As far as quad rails go, I have one rifle with a quad rail and one with a 1/2 quad rail (along with standard forearms too). I really like the 1/2 quad for the ease of adding a light and the fact it's a free-float set-up. And, while I probably wouldn't go with full quad rail again, with rail covers, it's basically no different than any other forearm.

IMO, a full quad rail is kind of like a Jeep roof-rack......they're mainly for looks but can be pressed into a real use if necessary!!! grin

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Maybe this could work for me as a base set-up. Were I to go with this, I'm assuming I could easily attach a larger caliber upper for bigger game.

Am I making sense and getting closer to reality?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index....1&CFID=26602112&CFTOKEN=37691651

Last edited by isaac; 07/24/09.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by TC1
Red dot sight and short barrel are items I wouldn't want for a hunting rig.

Exact opposite here....unless we're talking about long range hunting or prairie dogs. To me, a short carbine with a red-dot is the ultimate hunting set-up!! cool

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by isaac
Maybe this could work for me as a base set-up. Were I to go with this, I'm assuming I could easily attach a larger caliber upper for bigger game.

Am I making sense and getting closer to reality?

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index....1&CFID=26602112&CFTOKEN=37691651

I believe that rear sight may be fixed and, if so, it would be a definite "no go" in my book.

My pick(s) would be more along these lines:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index....4&CFID=26602112&CFTOKEN=37691651

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index....9&CFID=26602112&CFTOKEN=37691651

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Great....and thank you. When you open that link, would you change any of the custom item selections down below?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
issac, this would be my choice other than I would want the flip up front sight. A very good starting point.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=218

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
If I were building/buying a rifle today and really only wanted one, I'd go with:

RRA with SS 16" barrel, 1/2 quad forearm, Weaver gas-block, CTR stock, Hoque grip along with Troy BUIS and an EoTech for most of what I do and a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x50 in a LaRue QD mount for everything else.

Hell, I'm so pleased with that concept I might just have to get another AR!!! laugh laugh

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by jimmyd223
issac, this would be my choice other than I would want the flip up front sight. A very good starting point.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=218

That is a nice starting point but I just don't see the value in the "Entry Tactical" mount. For that type of mount, I prefer the Dominator II.

What am I missing there??

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by TC1
The quad rail and retractable stock are pretty much worthless in the woods.

They may not be your bag but don't ya think "worthless" is a little extreme??

When left in it's original context I wouldn't say it's an extreme point of view at all.

As far as the optics go it's a personal choice but when I hunt with an AR-15 It's just like I do with a bolt gun. For me, I'll take precision over speed.

IMO, off the RRA page this would be my
idea of an all around AR-15 but I would like it in a faster twist.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=230

Now here is were I'm sure I'll part company with many and that's fine. I just like a longer barrel for off hand shooting. The extra weight on the end makes me a better rifleman. It ballances better and it's quiter. I had several friendly disagrements with Rost495 about this back a few years ago. You just couldn't convience me that a 16" barrel wasn't the best thing going. I finally yelded to his many years of experience and tried one. After the 1st session with a 20" rifle I was sold on the idea for life. There is no doubt the 16" rifles have a "cool" factor the 20" rifles can't match, but unless you are military or LEO you probably won't be hendered by a 20" barrel for the majority of the tasks I'll perform with the rifle. I am a civialian and in all honesty my rifle will be used outside and for sporting purposes. IMO, rifle should be set up with that in mind.

Nebraska, you have all my respect brother. Just wanted you to know that.

Terry

PS. I'm pecking on an iPhone, forgive all the errors blush

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by jimmyd223

That is a nice starting point but I just don't see the value in the "Entry Tactical" mount. For that type of mount, I prefer the Dominator II.

What am I missing there??

I like that mount as I am using Arms QD low 30mm rings and the height is perfect for the 30mm Leupold. I think the Dominator is a fine mount if running the Eotech, I just need more power in my optic's, old eyes just don't get it anymore.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hard to shoot out a truck window with a musket...

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RyanScott
Hard to shoot out a truck window with a musket...

yeah, but in all honesty when is that going to be important? I fully agree a 16" carbine will handle better in tight spaces but for a civillian I just like handaling qualities of the full size rife better. These are just my opine's though.

Terry

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are my 3. I've owned a few more but this is what I setteled on. I really like all of them but feel the center one makes the best all around rifle. These are just my opinions. Forgive me if I offended anyone.

Terry [Linked Image]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Bob, this is no different than any other category of firearms procurement.
You need at least four.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
"These are just my opinions. Forgive me if I offended anyone."

Terry, your opinion is just as valid as mine even though they are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. I hate full size rifles, love light weight carbines with low powered scope and have killed a ton of coyotes with them.

Speak your mind brother, I will.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
But those short barrels can be hard on the mirrors when shooting out of the truck. I did save the motor to make it adjust up and down though.

There is no place like home. Western Oklahoma.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Isaac,

You are doing exactly the right thing by asking for input before spending a lot of cash. I would suggest you take a look on M4carbine.net and 10-8 forums. There are quite a lot of folks with AR experience at both these sites. I'd shy away from ar-15.com simply because it's difficult to seperate the wheat from the chaff there (The discussions are more mature and experienced-based on M4carbine and 10-8).

M4carbine has a list discussing AR's and which tier different manufacturers fall into. It essentially lists the most desirable aspects of an AR. Try this link:
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642&highlight=tier

The 10-8 site is for 'working professionals' in Law enforcement.

The Tier 1 list is short and includes Colt, Noveske and LMT, as Charles A stated. In fact, Charles' information is quite good. Since you asked about Noveske, it is a very highly regarded weapon-especially their N4 rifles. Many of those who frequent the sites I've mentioned tend have a great deal of experience with the platform, and shoot many thousands of rounds through their weapons each year, if not monthly, so they base their opinions on that, and not specifically hunting. That is the biggest difference you will find between those sites and the information you find here: a focus on weapons vs. hunting.

Regarding what FTR Shooter posted, .223/5.56 rounds have indeed shown to actually be less likely to over-penetrate walls than buckshot and handgun rounds.

Where you will REALLY get confused is when you try to decide what optic to put on top of your Tier 1 rifle! THAT is a can of worms--just take a look at TC 1's three AR's and you'll see what I mean: high-power optic (top pic), low power variable (middle pic) or RDS (red dot sight) on the bottom. Ask him how much he has in LaRue mounts wink

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by RickyD
You need at least four.

laugh laugh

BTW - This is one of my favorite forums to visit because of the core group of guys that regularly contribute. Please know that while I also may disagree from time to time on this, that, or the other I always feel I'm in very good company even when in mid-HUFF.... wink

It's all been fun for me here and I sure hope I'm not coming across any differently.

Y'all have a good night!! smile

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by RickyD
You need at least four.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

At a minimum, I've certainly learned that lesson.

William Arthur Ward

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Thanks CY....

I'm 52 in a couple of months and I've just recently had to revert to reading glasses so I will probably go with the red dot or a illuminated mil dot reticle on a fixed power scope.Just a preference as I can see perfectly out past 14 inches but have real difficulty looking through a peep type aperture.

I really appreciate this thread gents and the time you've taken to educate me. As of now, I'm leaning towards the RRA or Noveske platform in 16 inch and I am going to ask my client's friend to let me knock off a few rounds on his 20 inch upper to get a better understanding of TCI's well thought out comments. I have little solid foundation for my preferences other than aesthetics and availabilty of my client's friend's existing inventory. In other words, little rational thought other than looks and availability with the deal I'm getting.

I've learned much....thank you. The optics comments are much more well received here than on it's actual forum....grin

Last edited by isaac; 07/25/09.

William Arthur Ward

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 39 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.